No7 s ?

I picked up a box of bouraghni 

20b  28 grm no7.5 s 

On Friday and shot them today at some pige over wheat ..

I decided to put my cylinder choke on the bottom barrel and 1/4 on top .

The idea that the 320 pellets of 2.4 mm would fill the open pattern out to 25 / 30 yds .they certainly did .i shot some lovely birds crossing and going over the top  pretty close in and fast .

I even had a crow at about 35 yds and killed him clean .

By contrast some 28 grm hull 7.5s 2.3 mm or so idnt kill as well around 30 yds .

Those italians certainly know how to load a fast punchy cartridge .

Think i might by a slab im impressed .

So 2.4 mm is a uk no7.

With around 340 pellets per 28 grm 

Anyone else shoot a no7 ? 

IMG_20190721_222732.jpg

I have used 7's since the days you could buy 32g Winchester Trap 1/200 in 7.5's (which were true English 7's), my reasonings were :

1) that Archie Coates recommended the shot size for decoyed birds, having changed his original assessment and even altered the wording on his pigeon shooting books reprint - I own the latter as proof.

2) because my own experimentations for decoyed birds showed me that they were easily up to the job and offered better density, especially through open chokes.

I tend to order clay shooting 7's when I run out, Express World Cup and Eley Superbs among others. 

Edited by Hamster

Thanks hamster .

That makes sense .

I think if i could find some no 6.5  / 2.5 mm would be about perfect. But for now these bornaghi carts come pretty close to it .and they are cheap also which is nice .they certainly shot where i expected them to which is half the battle .

1 hour ago, Hamster said:

I have used 7's since the days you could buy 32g Winchester Trap 1/200 in 7.5's (which were true English 7's), my reasonings were :

1) that Archie Coates recommended the shot size for decoyed birds, having changed his original assessment and even altered the wording on his pigeon shooting books reprint - I own the latter as proof.

2) because my own experimentations for decoyed birds showed me that they were easily up to the job and offered better density, especially through open chokes.

I tend to order clay shooting 7's when I run out, Express World Cup and Eley Superbs among others. 

100%   Just spend a bit more brain power on putting them in the pattern than worring about how another few bits of lead will make the difference to your performance. No apologies for being blunt.

Had a couple of boxes of Bornaghi 410s and they did the job no problem.  Load all of my own now.

Edited by Walker570

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

100%   Just spend a bit more brain power on putting them in the pattern than worring about how another few bits of lead will make the difference to your performance. No apologies for being blunt.

Had a couple of boxes of Bornaghi 410s and they did the job no problem.  Load all of my own now.

I can pick up two different but reasonable quality cartridges from besides where I'm sat, both in 25g and 7 shot - both boxes annotated as 2.4mm. One has a 280 count load and the other 330. If that qualifies as as is highlighted above, then those few bits are going to make a difference -  quite an appreciable one as we're talking pigeon. Still, as is said, ignorance is bliss - what is hit is history and what is missed is mystery.

50%, both English. Just be patient with the 6.5s, there's nothing new under the sun and what goes round comes round. There are a few about, but now not recently too popular. Used them for many years, but age has caught up and I've downsized from 32g of those (Rottweil) to lighter guns and the 7s.

I invariably use 12/28/7s.  Always fibre wad, I won’t buy plastic. Try either Express Supreme Game or Hull Imperial Game. Neither are cheap. In the game season I shoot mostly partridges but with a fair smattering of pheasants. I find 28/7s effective out to 45 yards on both. 

4 hours ago, wymberley said:

I can pick up two different but reasonable quality cartridges from besides where I'm sat, both in 25g and 7 shot - both boxes annotated as 2.4mm. One has a 280 count load and the other 330. If that qualifies as as is highlighted above, then those few bits are going to make a difference -  quite an appreciable one as we're talking pigeon. Still, as is said, ignorance is bliss - what is hit is history and what is missed is mystery.

Last season...23 days driven...my average with the 410 and 18.7g of 7s was 2.7 and the year before same load was 2.4  ....that's 10gs less than you are talking about.

Head head head...dead dead dead...put them in the pattern:good:

4 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Last season...23 days driven...my average with the 410 and 18.7g of 7s was 2.7 and the year before same load was 2.4  ....that's 10gs less than you are talking about.

Head head head...dead dead dead...put them in the pattern:good:

Yep, that 10g can be made up to a degree by more choke.

You have an advantage over me - well, 2 actually - I'm not good enough to rely solely on making head shots - but mainly, I know virtually nothing about 410s. With the 20 and 12 I know that it's only the central 20" of the pattern that is effective when considering the vulnerable area of the quarry.

Purely for debate - should you feel so inclined - and I'm content to accept your thoughts on what the effective 410 central diameter is - what would you say that figure is as it applies to accurate shooting for a head shot and to complement it, how many pellets would you deem necessary on average in order to achieve a minimum strike level for a head shot - pigeons here -  of how many in order to be reasonably certain of achieving a clean kill by a truly aimed shot at an effective range?

As said, not being good enough for purely head shots, I have to rely on taking into account the vulnerable area. My answer to the above is 20" (as said), 5.5 (this is just an average figure and the actual figure for the 20" is 110) and 3. Expressed simply, I need to put 110 pellets in a 20" circle which gives an average strike of 5.5 on the vulnerable area of a pigeon in order to achieve a minimum strike of 3 for each shot in order to be reasonably certain of a clean kill.

Yes, my pattern testing indicated at 35yrds my full choke in the Yilditz gave a nice tidy pattern about 12 to 14 inches where a snipe would not escape for another 2 inches outside that the pattern was certainly pigeon, partridge, pheasant adequate.  The poor results of of my two seasons are purely down to my poor ability, non of us can be perfect.

3 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Yes, my pattern testing indicated at 35yrds my full choke in the Yilditz gave a nice tidy pattern about 12 to 14 inches where a snipe would not escape for another 2 inches outside that the pattern was certainly pigeon, partridge, pheasant adequate.  The poor results of of my two seasons are purely down to my poor ability, non of us can be perfect.

hello, i have gone from improved/1/4 to 3/4 full in my Yildiz 12g using 28g 7.5s seems to pattern better with no large holes out to 30/35 yards, 

19 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

I picked up a box of bouraghni 

20b  28 grm no7.5 s 

On Friday and shot them today at some pige over wheat ..

I decided to put my cylinder choke on the bottom barrel and 1/4 on top .

The idea that the 320 pellets of 2.4 mm would fill the open pattern out to 25 / 30 yds .they certainly did .i shot some lovely birds crossing and going over the top  pretty close in and fast .

I even had a crow at about 35 yds and killed him clean .

By contrast some 28 grm hull 7.5s 2.3 mm or so idnt kill as well around 30 yds .

Those italians certainly know how to load a fast punchy cartridge .

Think i might by a slab im impressed .

So 2.4 mm is a uk no7.

With around 340 pellets per 28 grm 

Anyone else shoot a no7 ? 

IMG_20190721_222732.jpg

Of course they do the job. At 25-30 yards you could just as easily use an ounce of nines.