Nitro loads in my Damascus Westley Richards

Hi mates,

Have a little question for the ladies and gents, in short I have a beaut Wesley Richards in damascus made at the turn of the century, I'm considering reloading brass shells with smokeless or BP but wondering if I just purchase the cheapest lightest clay busting 24grain 12g will that be close to the original pressures? I just want to get her outdoors where she belongs as I don't think its been run in the past century.

Kind regards,

George

Edited by navydoc16

13 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

Picture of the proof marks would be helpful 👍

Ill try upload some later, but its not nitro proofed, states "Not For Ball Powder Cartridge's" but considering the Damascus missed being proofed by nitro by under a decade I cant see much issue? The gun has no rust issues or anything that could get into the Damascus either, but on the other hand I like my fingers very much

Edited by navydoc16

49 minutes ago, scarecrow243 said:

dont use nitro powder in twist steel barrels unless it gets proofed  you can reload with pyrodex  it like black powder and you dont need a black powder licence or safety storage box

Thanks mate, im actually in Australia so ill be in the clear, happy to reload but just looking for an easy way out if there was one 

15 minutes ago, Smokersmith said:

I saw a chap earlier in the summer using 30g paper cased Eley GP through a beautiful Damascus Westley Richards .. didn't check the proof though.

Yeah this one looks a beaut, because these guns came out to the Australia headquarters many never were given fluid steel barrels so are still all original, just put away when nitro came out 

Using light loads does not reduce the pressure! I have two black powder guns, both of which were used with nitro for most of the last century. I don’t do it, black powder only despite the fact that my Dickson is like it was made yesterday.

Edited by London Best
Spelling

34 minutes ago, London Best said:

Using light loads does not reduce the pressure! I have two black powder guns, both of which were used with nitro for most of the last century. I don’t do it, black powder only despite the fact that my Dickson is like it was made yesterday.

Thanks mate, theres alot of material out there for reloading, whats your recipe? if you dont mind me asking 

Is it Damascus or is it laminate? Only the most expensive barrels were true Damascus, the rest were laminate. Lots of guns are described as having Damascus steel barrels these days aren't Damascus at all.

The difference lies in the potential strength, there is nothing wrong with laminate but its more of an unknown because you don't know what it was laminated from.

Anyway, black powder is lots more fun 

Sorry pal, I only reload rifle ammo. I buy the black powder shotgun stuff, at vast expense! Although a friend does load some for me sometimes at about half factory prices. I think he uses 60 grains of black and 26 gram shot, but don’t take that as gospel because I really am not sure! (BOOM!)

1 hour ago, Vince Green said:

Is it Damascus or is it laminate? Only the most expensive barrels were true Damascus, the rest were laminate. Lots of guns are described as having Damascus steel barrels these days aren't Damascus at all.

The difference lies in the potential strength, there is nothing wrong with laminate but its more of an unknown because you don't know what it was laminated from.

Anyway, black powder is lots more fun 

Its a "London best" Westley so its going to be a Damascus

Hi I have a Westley bar in wood hammer Made around 1869 with black powder proof  Damascus barrels,  I use 2 and a half drams of pyrodex and 28  grams or 1oz of lead with a rolled top 18mm felt wadd 4mm  over powder card and 1mm over shot card  in a paper case does the job but there is a wealth of black powder loads on the internet 

But Do Not Use Nitro until it’s proofed for it 

best of luck 

On 22/07/2019 at 13:23, London Best said:

Sorry pal, I only reload rifle ammo. I buy the black powder shotgun stuff, at vast expense! Although a friend does load some for me sometimes at about half factory prices. I think he uses 60 grains of black and 26 gram shot, but don’t take that as gospel because I really am not sure! (BOOM!)

Yep I am that friend and I load 60grains of black powder and 24 or 26 grams I consider this to be a safe load. Most loading info suggests 70/75 grains to 28 grams. as a hunting load.

I had a W.Richards Damascus BLE ( Liverpool ) built in 1907.

Proofed to 1-1/8 oz but was advised by Richards 1-3/16 oz was OK.

Tight as a drum.

Normal diet was Impax and Eley Maximum 4's for Pinks.

Sold it at a loss in the late eighties due to the the steel shot scare. 😕