Shot with a BB gun

Townie

I was, last Friday while posting a letter. Felt a sharp sting in the upper arm and simultaneously heard what I thought was a low powered air gun. Looked up to where the sound came from to see two open windows above a shop.

Removed myself from the line of fire and called the police, expecting the eventual arrival of a bored copper who couldn’t do much.

As it was, 12 of them turned up in a couple of minutes, one found the pellet and the rest searched the only occupied flat (three men in it). Long story short, they found pellets but no gun and a large quantity of cannabis. The last I heard, the police were waiting for a van to take them to the station.

Police were absolutely brilliant, I had a sore arm for a day or two and the three ****** responsible had a serious kink put in their day. Mrs T thought it was karma for my shooting activities.

I just hope it doesn’t get included in the gun crime figures.

14 minutes ago, Townie said:

I was, last Friday while posting a letter. Felt a sharp sting in the upper arm and simultaneously heard what I thought was a low powered air gun. Looked up to where the sound came from to see two open windows above a shop.

Removed myself from the line of fire and called the police, expecting the eventual arrival of a bored copper who couldn’t do much.

As it was, 12 of them turned up in a couple of minutes, one found the pellet and the rest searched the only occupied flat (three men in it). Long story short, they found pellets but no gun and a large quantity of cannabis. The last I heard, the police were waiting for a van to take them to the station.

Police were absolutely brilliant, I had a sore arm for a day or two and the three ****** responsible had a serious kink put in their day. Mrs T thought it was karma for my shooting activities.

I just hope it doesn’t get included in the gun crime figures.

hello, good on your self Townie, your arm will i hope get better but those 3 ***** will regret that day.

End of the day it was gun crime, could have easily hit you in the eye, and as always it was down to some err, brown and you might step in it.

Sounds like the police did a cracking job, twelve bobbies seems a bit much but better than, yeah we know.

7 minutes ago, figgy said:

A BB gun I'd have been a bit peed off but thought kids being **** like we were when younger.

Don't think I'd have called plod.

Fair point Figgy, exactly what went through my mind. I was persuaded because I thought at the time it was an air rifle (pretty accurate shooting to hit mid-upper arm which I wouldn’t have expected from a BB gun). Also, it could have hit someone in a far nastier spot and as such, needed dealing with. It’s on a busy street, so plenty of targets.

13 minutes ago, figgy said:

A BB gun I'd have been a bit peed off but thought kids being **** like we were when younger.

Yet in doing so drugs were found sooo.. Also if they are shooting out the window at random folk, what else might the y end up doing? Not sure what I'd do if it had been myself. 

17 minutes ago, figgy said:

Yep, and their next target could have been someone pushing a pram with a young child in it,

It might only have been a BB but it can still blind someone, and yes we had air pistols when we were kids and fired them at one another but never at a passing stranger.

Good on the OP for calling plod.  

There are two main types of BB guns, firstly the plastic 6mm type that normally have power well less than the 1 joule limit  set for firearms in the 68 Act and secondly the 4.5mm steel type that can have power above  the one joule limit normally between 2 to 3 joules and are therefore classed as firearms, as they have the potenial to cause a lethal injury. I dont think it was wrong to call the police in this case.

If you see a car speeding do you alll ring the police. Could be someone crossing the road somewhere might get hurt.

They took a pot shot at a grown mans arm, not a baby or mother with child.

All the what ifs can run and run.

Obviously none you ever shot your mates with a pea shooter a catty or airgun. Never played with knives.

The saying it's all fun till someone starts crying seems apt. I bet they were crying laughing seeing men jump and look around.

Some of you would call the police some of us wouldn't.

Edited by figgy

9 minutes ago, figgy said:

The saying it's all fun till someone starts crying seems apt. I bet they were crying laughing seeing men jump and look around.

do you mean all fun till someone looses an eye? What we all did years ago "with our mates" is a world away from taking pot shots at someone in the high-street, it might have just been a bb gun but what if one of them decided to use an air rifle instead?

My comment wasn’t meant as a criticism, we all treat it as we see it. 

I was once pelted repeatedly with handfuls of chippings by two young lads ( twins ) on bicycles who thought it was great fun as they rode backwards and forwards after rearming from a pile of the stuff on the side of the road. 

No biggie really, but I was carrying my daughter home at the time, who was a toddler back then. 

When I shouted at them one of them spat at me, before cycling off to get another handful of chippings. 😀

My OH at the time was adamant we should call the rozzers, but after ensuring my daughter was ok I went back out to look for them. I found their bikes a couple of hundred yards away outside a house and knocked on the door. They never did it again. 

They're both in their late twenties now and work as car mechanics. They always wave when they see me. 🙂

46 minutes ago, old'un said:

Yep, and their next target could have been someone pushing a pram with a young child in it,

It might only have been a BB but it can still blind someone, and yes we had air pistols when we were kids and fired them at one another but never at a passing stranger.

Good on the OP for calling plod.  

Agreed, what happened to "Never point a gun at anyone" let alone a loaded gun at passers by.  A few weeks ago I was in Glasgow Braehead shopping centre, when I saw a young man running towards me being pursued by three store detectives. I instinctively grabbed him and he was taken away. I slightly regretted grabbing him, then thought well it might be his first offence and being caught, might deter him from doing it again

You did exactly the right thing by calling the police , it was a firearms offence and should be recorded as such. The type of retards that do this kind of thing may well think that it's harmless fun ,and that nobody gets hurt ,they would be equally retarded enough to shoot into a pram ,or at a young child.

These days,I would do exactly as you did , 30 years ago ,I would have smashed my way into the flat , and I wouldn't have stopped punching and kicking them until I was too tired to to punch them,or the police arrived and arrested me.

2 minutes ago, islandgun said:

Agreed, what happened to "Never point a gun at anyone" let alone a loaded gun at passers by.  A few weeks ago I was in Glasgow Braehead shopping centre, when I saw a young man running towards me being pursued by three store detectives. I instinctively grabbed him and he was taken away. I slightly regretted grabbing him, then thought well it might be his first offence and being caught, might deter him from doing it again

hello, if you see the cost of goods that are stolen from shops or department stores you can justify yourself on being a good citizen, a member of my family lost £100s every week from their  UK city toy store, even a few working in the store over a number of years stole cash or goods, 

Quite a few years ago there was a man here the worse for drink that threatened a couple with his air rifle. they called the police in our nearest village, being cautious they sent round a constable [who parked outside] and notified the police in Stornoway who notified the police in Inverness. An armed police response was dispatched, they drove too and waited for the ferry after a further hours drive they eventually arrived some hours later. the man was sleeping it off,

I think it would be different now though..😉