Cat fishing tips and tactics needed

jason g

Hi all I'm thinking of having a go at cat fishing but I have a few issues. I'm geared up for carp and river fishing so is there any specific tackle required, what bait do you need and what are the best tactics. Any advice would be appreciated as I have never fished for a cat fish ever cheers jason 

25 minutes ago, jason g said:

Lol, fishing at home tbf I haven't got a passport yet. this type of fishing is a first for me I'm a complete novice and need all the help I can get before trying out cheers for the reply 

Find your venue first! Cat venues tend to have their own specific rules, so it's worth having a peruse through their rules first. Cats have a very wide food list, from boilies and worms through to deadbaits and lures. I'd be looking at 3lb TC rods for bait fishing, then a heavy duty lure rod if the water allows. There's a good vid by Fox Rage where they take a 30-100g travel spin rod and go in search of cats, that's worth a look! 

Definitely have a cradle, not just a standard unhooking mat. hope that helps :)

Edited by chrisjpainter

My friend spent a lot of time trying to catch catfish in the end he just put his usual carp rigs out & bingo caught a catfish! Typical think it was on a large halibut boilie or pellet I believe big chunks of spam can work well 

Edited by Stephen-H

Do what chrisjpainter said.

Find venue

Read Rules

Based on my limited experience :

If its a mixed fishery with carp in then they will readily take pellets. I use a 30mm halibut pellet with size 2 hook attacked to a braided hooklink. I have been using Kryston Gold 45lb (if my memory serves me right. Feeding little and often seems to work better for me than a big bed of bait.

If you can livebait then that's a good method and obviously selective. Just be aware if there are pike in the venue that this will present a problem.

I have also caught as many in the day as at night which did surprise me as I thought that they would be a predominantly a night feeder.

I use 3.5TC rods with either 65lb braid or 30lb mono fishing for UK cats. I have only landed fish up to 46lb so I am no real expert.

Rich

18 hours ago, walshie said:

Halibut or crab pellets work well as bait and you can put more or less on your hair rig as required. Get big ones.

This. With a nice meaty/fishy glug. 3lb tc + rods as Chrisjpainter says. The original Greys spod rod makes a decent cat rod.