Sanding wood floors

gibby

Evening all,

Spent the weekend with a drum sander and am happy with the results but left with one annoying bit left.

A narrow hallway where the boards have been laid perpendicular to the light coming in, annoying! The drum sander wouldn’t go width ways so had to go length ways to get the old stains out, but now left with scratched boards as I expected. Should I just use a hand belt sander to go with the grain widthways, or am I missing a trick?

Also, any idea how to get carpet mastic/ glue off the edges with ease without gumming up the paper? Again, belt sander job or orbital?

Appreciate the help.

Gibby

Ramdom orbit sander is what u need 

This will remove most the scratches .but your gonna have to work hard .as going across the grain with a belt or drum sander will put really deep scratches in it and id never do that unless the floor was so cupped as to be almost beyond repair.

You have made a lot of work for your self .

Even the drum sander with the grain will require work to get the scratches out again a random orbit sander and work up through the grits from 80 up to 120 . 

Go down to 60 grit if you have to but dont use 40 its too scratchy. 

80 .100. 120 . And 150 if you want a perfect finish . (If you using an oil ) 

120 if a lacquer. 

If the floor was previously  finished with an oil or oil based varnish i hugely reccomend recoating with an oil and not a water based polyurethane  lacquer. 

It will be very  patchy when dry .

If it was finished with a lacquer  to start with .you may get away with a lacquer on top .but i wouldnt put oil over it .again it will look patchy ..

The key is to get ALL  the existing finish off .

Its very hard work .

Good luck .

50 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

Ramdom orbit sander is what u need 

This will remove most the scratches .but your gonna have to work hard .as going across the grain with a belt or drum sander will put really deep scratches in it and id never do that unless the floor was so cupped as to be almost beyond repair.

You have made a lot of work for your self .

Even the drum sander with the grain will require work to get the scratches out again a random orbit sander and work up through the grits from 80 up to 120 . 

Go down to 60 grit if you have to but dont use 40 its too scratchy. 

80 .100. 120 . And 150 if you want a perfect finish . (If you using an oil ) 

120 if a lacquer. 

I think he didn’t want to hear that 😂. It might be true but we both know how much work is involved now. 

58 minutes ago, gibby said:

Evening all,

Spent the weekend with a drum sander and am happy with the results but left with one annoying bit left.

A narrow hallway where the boards have been laid perpendicular to the light coming in, annoying! The drum sander wouldn’t go width ways so had to go length ways to get the old stains out, but now left with scratched boards as I expected. Should I just use a hand belt sander to go with the grain widthways, or am I missing a trick?

Also, any idea how to get carpet mastic/ glue off the edges with ease without gumming up the paper? Again, belt sander job or orbital?

Appreciate the help.

Gibby

As already said. DA sander or orbital palm sander.  Buy some course grit and allow some time