Boris

islandgun

55 minutes ago, Scully said:

This has turned into another Brexit thread. 

I've got a good feeling regarding Boris in charge, and am for the first time in ages, feeling rather positive about his PMship. 🙂

Me too; I just hope he doesn't cave in to all the PC rhetoric about to be thrown at him by the MSM🙄 

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

appointed Liz Truss as inter' trade sec'.............that arrogant little girl got parachuted into a safe norfolk seat at the last moment pushing out a norfolk born and bred popular farmer...

big hooo-hhaaaa about it....parliament told the CA to get lost..................Bloody Truss couldnt trade bloody spuds on swaffham market to save her life 

BAAAHHHHhhh....:mad:

3 hours ago, Vince Green said:

The figure for our exports to EU is significantly overstated by the Rotterdam effect. Goods that we are sending to say Saudi go out in a container from Rotterdam (say). But the Accounting system tracks it as an export from UK to Holland when it goes through Dover and an export from Holland to Saudi when it leaves Rotterdam.

Now this is really interesting, could you back this up evidence please Vince Green? I know this sort of thing does happen, English Country Life butter for example, was (many years ago) made and packaged at a factory,  in the wilds of West Wales, I know this for a fact as I had a summer job as a student working at said factory.

Cheers

Aled

11 hours ago, Aled said:

Now this is really interesting, could you back this up evidence please Vince Green? I know this sort of thing does happen, English Country Life butter for example, was (many years ago) made and packaged at a factory,  in the wilds of West Wales, I know this for a fact as I had a summer job as a student working at said factory.

Cheers

Aled

I can't post a link from this device but if you look up the Rotterdam effect you will find lots of stuff. It can work both ways.

Years ago when they were doing the sums to see if the Channel Tunnel was viable to build and operate one of the big projects that was identified was the export of German cars to America. It was a very big business plan.

They could transport literally millions of cars a year by rail, through the tunnel at night and up to Liverpool or the Clyde and straight onto ships to America. The saving for the German car manufacturers was very real and it would knock about a week off the journey time. Having all those cars arrive a week earlier was worth a lot of money. The German car manufacturers were all signed up, on board and keen to go.

When the Channel Tunnel was built though, the German Government, out of the blue, put a block on the cars being exported through the tunnel because it would have meant  Britain got the credit for the exports to the US. They insisted the cars were exported to US through German ports and the German manufacturers had to  withdraw from the Channel Tunnel deal.

The Channel Tunnel Company (French) nearly went bust, the loss of predicted revenue was huge, its biggest project sabotaged by the German Government. And it was in serious arrears for many years (decades?)

People think the EU is all sweetness and light, a wonderful example of co-operation but its still all about dirty tricks  and corrupt self serving  governments

Edited by Vince Green

15 hours ago, Retsdon said:

No, I mean it  - there's nowhere to go. Despite the vote, Britain is still an island off the coast of Europe and we still do 40+% of our trade within the EU.  And  we can't suddenly tow the country somewhere else. 

<snip>

I’m puzzled by this. Britain may be a island off Europe but somehow manages to do 60% of its trade with the rest of the world. It does only 40% of its trade inside a protectionist bloc that influences all areas of life. And it runs a deficit. There may be nowhere to go but even nowhere must be better than that.

13 minutes ago, SpringDon said:

I’m puzzled by this. Britain may be a island off Europe but somehow manages to do 60% of its trade with the rest of the world. It does only 40% of its trade inside a protectionist bloc that influences all areas of life. And it runs a deficit. There may be nowhere to go but even nowhere must be better than that.

http://www.worldstopexports.com/united-kingdoms-top-import-partners/

36 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

Thank you but I’m not quite sure  what you’re saying. My take from that link is that our (top ten) trade deficit with the eu is 107bln and the rest of the world is 68bln.

So leave eu, cease trade with them and immediately reduce deficit by 39bln. A bold plan, and one I didn’t expect from you. I have been misinterpreting your posts for some time.

But since this a boris thread and not the brexit one , all I’ll say is good luck boris (and us) and I hope it all goes swimmingly. Not holding my breath but even murderers get a second chance.

Edited by SpringDon

Boris knows he's got an uphill battle and that's why he's built a cabinet that's best able to help him. He will delegate in a way that May never did and by doing so he'll get the job done. The namby pamby appeasing approach has to go. If the self serving/own agenda remoaners try to stop him this time they will usher in a Labour government, it won't be Corbyn, he'll be gone but God help us all if the rest of em get in without leaving. Go Boris and sack any naysayers who get in your way.

1 hour ago, Vince Green said:

I'm not sure how much of that is real goods and how much is financial services

similarly, with our imports most tables don't take into account labour

I think there is a similar table on Trading Economics that breaks down the numbers into goods / services but I can't seem to find it just now. If I come across it I'll post a liñk.

17 hours ago, Blackbriar said:

I'm probably them only one who felt a small sympathy for Mrs May today. She left the House, clearly emotional, after her final PMQs, to a rousing cacophony of clapping and cheering....,.....by the very people who stabbed her in the back and deserted her when she needed their support !

They might well have been cheering because she was going, happy she's done?

17 hours ago, Scully said:

This has turned into another Brexit thread. 

I've got a good feeling regarding Boris in charge, and am for the first time in ages, feeling rather positive about his PMship. 🙂

It was always going to because that's what people want, brexit dealt with.

hopefully the fact he had such a large majority means the tory party is behind him in dealing with brexit.

He's been described as a hit with an S, let's hope so, I don't see what use a PM is if their too nice.

let's hope he delivers on October 31st without any excuses 

10 hours ago, toxo said:

Boris knows he's got an uphill battle and that's why he's built a cabinet that's best able to help him. He will delegate in a way that May never did and by doing so he'll get the job done. The namby pamby appeasing approach has to go. If the self serving/own agenda remoaners try to stop him this time they will usher in a Labour government, it won't be Corbyn, he'll be gone but God help us all if the rest of em get in without leaving. Go Boris and sack any naysayers who get in your way.

give boris a chance he cant do any worse than his predecesors but what a mess he has to contend with new boss new brush give him a chance

It's a wierd feeling - rooting for Boris. I just saw his exchange with Corbyn today and it made me laugh. He put him down and added some theatre for good measure.

He's got nothing to lose, a lot to gain and he's had 3+ years of being shown how not to do it.

I'm happy to give him until 31st Oct. It's only 99 days. 

• 3 weeks later...

How wonderful to see the great Dianne Abbott bemoaning Boris about his planned spending!

She actually said "Anyone can say they will provide more Police if they don't have to pay for them!"

Of course she was the one in the famous Nick Ferarri interview who thought 30 000 police would cost 30p each.

1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

She actually said "Anyone can say they will provide more Police if they don't have to pay for them!"

She was on radio 4 this morning in a rather rambling and shambolic interview that sounded as if she had just woken up and was rather less 'on the ball' even than usual.  Labour of course were going to pay for additional;

• police
  • student university fees
  • reversing the benefit cuts/restrictions
  • and a whole pile of other stuff

all from reversing the cuts to corporation tax.

In fact - cutting corporation tax has actually boosted receipts in some cases - because of the way it encourages and boosts economic activity.  See here https://www.ft.com/content/ca3e5bd2-2a7e-11e7-9ec8-168383da43b7

The reality is that increasing taxes rarely yield big increases in revenue because people resent paying lots more tax and do their best to avoid it. 

If tax is seen as low and fair (and our corporation tax rate is now very attractive in the world market) and spent wisely and carefully, the government is seen as business friendly - then people will invest here, work hard and pay their taxes - result better employment and better conditions for all. 

On the other hand, if tax is seen as an unfair rip off and squandered on political 'projects' and 'dogma', and the government is seen as penalising business success, people will take their businesses where conditions are more favourable - result rising unemployment, rising benefit costs, falling tax revenue - everyone suffers.

It isn't rocket science - everyone wants to make money and not have (too much of) it taken away.

Edited by JohnfromUK

5 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

She was on radio 4 this morning in a rather rambling and shambolic interview that sounded as if she had just woken up and was rather less 'on the ball' even than usual.  Labour of course were going to pay for additional;

• police
  • student university fees
  • reversing the benefit cuts/restrictions
  • and a whole pile of other stuff

all from reversing the cuts to corporation tax.

In fact - cutting corporation tax has actually boosted receipts in some cases - because of the way it encourages and boosts economic activity.  See here https://www.ft.com/content/ca3e5bd2-2a7e-11e7-9ec8-168383da43b7

The reality is that increasing taxes rarely yield big increases in revenue because people resent paying lots more tax and do their best to avoid it. 

If tax is seen as low and fair (and our corporation tax rate is now very attractive in the world market) and spent wisely and carefully, the government is seen as business friendly - then people will invest here, work hard and pay their taxes - result better employment and better conditions for all. 

On the other hand, if tax is seen as an unfair rip off and squandered on political 'projects' and 'dogma', and the government is seen as penalising business success, people will take their businesses where conditions are more favourable - result rising unemployment, rising benefit costs, falling tax revenue - everyone suffers.

It isn't rocket science - everyone wants to make money and not have (too much of) it taken away.

on the ball...............on the bloody ball.............that bloody woman dosnt even know the wheel has been invented yet

she has never been even slightly on the ball........if she even saw a ball she would be looking for its courners

i must say you are being very free with your praise to-nite.......:lol: