HO Statutory Guidance consultation.

CharlieT

Well on a quick scan it looks like this draft gives the police and GP's everything they have been after, and imposing contrary to current HO guidance.....guess what the gun owning public and RFD's are getting out of it?

I hope our representative organisations are up to the challenge it presents?

Edited by panoma1

I will give it a proper read tomorrow. But on a quick glance a couple of things stand out. One is Gp's can still refuse to supply. So where does that leave the applicant with forces that have stated no report no certificate. And another part of it said that forces had been acting illegally in recent years in the way they unilaterally made up their own rules. So this leads us back to why did the organisations recognise this and take up a legal challenge. All this could have been done and dusted a long time ago if they had spent some of the members money actually protecting us. 

13 minutes ago, bostonmick said:

I will give it a proper read tomorrow. One is Gp's can still refuse to supply. So where does that leave the applicant with forces that have stated no report no certificate.

As I read it, It leaves them with no licence!.......the onus is being put on the applicant to get a GP to furnish a report, and pay whatever the GP demands! ....If the applicant doesn't provide said report, you don't get a licence and your application lapses after 6 months........I fear there are other proposals that we need to be concerned about too?

It seems that by their statement basc are quite disappointed well let me say you are not as disappointed as your members are with your inactivity. The last time you took legal advice on the medical question it came back as the political route was best well by what's happening now that certainly worked. 

Edited by bostonmick

I'm not the only person wondering what our shooting organisations are actually doing.

Seems they just get brushed aside by the powers that be.  Supposed to be the voice of shooting, A voice ignored isn't really a voice at all.

The police can get away with not following the guidelines, not a thing done about it.

Edited by figgy

48 minutes ago, mossy835 said:

when i was 15 you could walk out the house with your gun,all would see they all new in the street that i had guns, how things have changed.

same here mossy, started shooting 37 years ago used to walk through the village with no gun slip and nobody would bat an eyelid.not even the local bobby 

8 hours ago, Rake aboot said:

Read the basc repy and nowhere does it even mention the potential fiasco of having your neighbours interviewed about your suitability to own a gun.

Waste of time here ! All 5 of my neighbours shoot  😀

I have responded but it basically confirms the situation that currently exists in some areas and all of Scotland. No FAC/ SGC renewal or grant without a report from the doctor and no cap on fees so you can be gouged in some area to ridiculous levels unless you want to change GPs.

No real benefit to public safety as I guess like quite a few others my GP wouldn't know me from Adam as I am fortunately in good health and have not been to the GPs for about 6 years and even then saw a couple of locums. To be fair you would be better off asking a few of my work colleges or friends about my fitness or own a firearm as they see me more in fact mostly ever day!

3 hours ago, vmaxphil said:

I can't believe the GMC are agreeing to this, it puts the doctors in a position to be blamed if the unthinkable happens " but the doctors said he was okay to have a shotgun " quote from the chief constable 

In fairness, all it asks is for your GP to tick a box confirming that he has no record of you suffering from any of the complaints listed. It does not ask him to say you're OK to have a firearm.

Responded.

Agreed with the principle of medical info, disagree with this process - it's too burdensome on applicants (time chasing, unfair costs) and the police (time chasing etc) - the proposed arrangement will not work effectively and still have inconsistencies.

I've suggested the Act should have an amendment to make if a statutory duty for the applicants GP to reply to a standard police medical form, and to charge the applicant/patient no more than their reasonable cost, or a maximum of £50.

At least there would be clarity and consistency for forces and FAC/SGC owners

That is a spot on reply, if the letter was requested by the police , doctors would be more inclined to reply and if there was a £50 pound charge this could be offset by having an extended licence period. 

Everuone would be a winner so come on Basc and the other groups get down to some negotiation

"interviews with individuals other than the applicant or their referees, for example,neighbours, partners or representatives of shooting clubs attended by the applicant"

The bit about interviewing neighbours is absolutely insane! Part of my security is nobody knowing what I have in the house. Whilst I'm reasonably sure they wouldn't actually burgle me all it takes is for their kids to tell other kids who tell others.........

Actually I can think of 3 neighbours who would be refused a Shotgun certificate on health grounds and there was a drug related kidnapping and torture incident in a neighbouring flat a few years ago.