Can Am Spyder

welsh1

I am looking a couple of years down the line when i come to change my car, and have been thinking about getting one of the above instead, the wife will still have a car if we need to go anywhere , but this looks like fun and would get me to work or out taking photos and walking.

So does anyone have one, pros and cons of ownership?

cam 1.jpg

cam 2.jpg

13 minutes ago, London Best said:

Doesn’t it rain a lot in Wales?

I saw one of these on the motorway last Sunday towing a large(ish) camping trailer.

Lol not as much as you think, i only commute 9 miles to work and then back and have lots of gortex to keep me dry if it should rain, the touring model comes with heated seat and grips .
I have seen the trailer you can buy for them, don't think i would need one.

1 hour ago, welsh1 said:

pros and cons of ownership?

Pros.
Its errr. different ?

Cons.
£20 k worth of glorified motorbike that cant go round corners fast.
Big as a a small car, but you get wet when in rains, and covered in insects when its not.
Nightmare to park.
Seagulls could literally lift you out the seat as you are riding/driving.

Wheres that thread about the mid life crisis ?

For the price of one of these , you could buy a new Jimny and be the envy of your friends :lol:

11 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

Pros.
Its errr. different ?

Cons.
£20 k worth of glorified motorbike that cant go round corners fast.
Big as a a small car, but you get wet when in rains, and covered in insects when its not.
Nightmare to park.
Seagulls could literally lift you out the seat as you are riding/driving.

Wheres that thread about the mid life crisis ?

For the price of one of these , you could buy a new Jimny and be the envy of your friends :lol:

Well i won't be buying new, and you can get one around the 8-10 k mark,If i had wanted a motorbike, i would buy one but my back knees and shoulders wouldn't be happy with me.As for parking, i have a space outside my office, and seeing as i have never had any problems parking a car then this will be just as easy to park.

I had a Jimny, great fun it was, then the sills rotted away and it was sold on as a project, and the jimny wasn't that fast, and lets be honest you wouldn't want to corner one at speed.

Yes it is different, and i think that's what appeals, plus i get the open air feeling while being fairly  safe (SCS - Stability Control System TCS - Traction Control System ABS - Anti-lock Braking System - DPS Dynamic Power Steering - HHC  Hill Hold Control)

5 minutes ago, London Best said:

Well I was impressed when I passed the one on the motorway. Looked very, er, American.  Not sure I’d buy one though unless I could afford one just for fun. Question is, where would you put 4 Labradors and 3 dead deer on one of those?

As i only have one 11.5 yr old Brittany spaniel i won't have those problems lol, and the bike would be bought when my handsome old boy has gone, i won't be getting another after him.

As for the deer, one pillion one on the handlebars and one strapped to the front ,sorted.😂

Liking the deer arrangement!

I once had to drive 75 miles with a very heavily crammed Land Rover 110 station wagon with four passengers where the only space left for a deer carcass was one of the rear seats. I sat it up by the window and put the seat belt around it. I don’t know who was more shocked, my daughter’s friend who was sitting next to it or other motorists who drew alongside at traffic lights.

50 minutes ago, Dunkield said:

I seems to combine the worse elements of a car and a motorcycle.

A bit like those massive Gold Wing combos with a trailer and flags etc...

My mate has a goldwing 1500cc and more lights on it than blackpool seafront, his ex wife( 2nd of 3) used to tell me that the passenger seat was so comfortable she would often fall asleep as they travelled.

4 hours ago, strimmer_13 said:

Looks like a snowmobile for the road. I'd be worried about that being tail happy in the wet. Usually activly look for that in a car but wouldn't want that kicking me off. 

It has traction control and stability control it is apparently near impossible to get the tail end out except on certain models where you can engage a sport mode, and that will only let you flick the tail end a touch before the electronics bring it in line.

• 5 months later...

It's a bit...gay but I like it 😂 should have it just in time for end of January snow, February heat and the March rain before the spring kicks in. In all seriousness I've got a yearning for an off road trike, apparently I'm not allowed a motorbike because I'll kill myself but an off road trike would be fine 😮

2 hours ago, Benthejockey said:

It's a bit...gay but I like it 😂 should have it just in time for end of January snow, February heat and the March rain before the spring kicks in. In all seriousness I've got a yearning for an off road trike, apparently I'm not allowed a motorbike because I'll kill myself but an off road trike would be fine 😮

Gay sir ,who sir ,me sir, 😂  just something to enjoy the commute, as for the snow, i live in Pembrokeshire, snow is a rarity, and contrary to popular belief it doesn't rain as much as people think, and i have a waterproof suit😁 

1 hour ago, NoBodyImportant said:

It would be a fun commuter for a month or two.  Then I think you will be looking for a beater car. 

I drive a gut less 1.0 toyota yaris with no turbo to work and back, we have a skoda 1.0 fabia for best so to speak, i used to drive a mondeo st 220 3.0l v6, for my car and a 2.8 navara for my works vehicle, i miss the acceleration thrill, as for being bored, i doubt it very much, i don't mind the wind and the rain, i have waterproof kit for all that. we will see in a few months, but i wouldn't hold your breath.

1 hour ago, shaun4860 said:

I think they look like a great bit of kit.

Do you mind if I ask the cost? PM if you prefer.

Im sure you will have a lot of fun with it.

Whats the engine/running gear?

:shaun:

Mine is an older model (2011) so is a 998cc 5 speed semi auto, paddle shift up the gears, and it will auto change down.

Newer models are 1300cc and 6 speed.

The engine is one used in a Ducati and slightly detuned here's a link to the full specs

https://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/BRP/canam_spyder_rSs_roadster 12.htm