Can Am Spyder

welsh1

5 hours ago, welsh1 said:

Mine is an older model (2011) so is a 998cc 5 speed semi auto, paddle shift up the gears, and it will auto change down.

Newer models are 1300cc and 6 speed.

The engine is one used in a Ducati and slightly detuned here's a link to the full specs

https://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/BRP/canam_spyder_rSs_roadster 12.htm

Cheers 

:shaun:

5 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Expensive bit of fun, but you enjoys your money how you wish.  I think a nice litle second hand Jimny would be my choice for the same money.

Done the jimny  thing, it was a great little vehicle until the sills rotted

jimny 2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well she arrived yesterday, and she's great fun, the exhaust is very loud, but I do like it, may have to add a baffle to bring it down a notch.definatly a head turner, and have had chats with at least a half people in the few hours I have been out on her.

IMG_20200120_124353.jpg

I don’t think they corner very well.  Google  dragons tail NC.  We have a road near us that is very curvy and the police don’t cite for speeding.  People come from all over the USA to drive those Can Ams off the side of the mountain.   The wife and I will pull over and Picknic at Broken Femur Fall and I have personally saw three of those things cartwheel down the mountain.  So be careful and drive safe.  

Edited by NoBodyImportant

we tend not to use those can-ams off the side of a mountain.....we dont think they are suitable for that sort of thing.......we use them over here on what we call roads....flat surfaces with tarmac on top and white lines down the middle.......quite a clever invention......one of our people Mr Mc Adam invented it and the grading for the sub-base that goes underneath..:good:

10 hours ago, NoBodyImportant said:

I don’t think they corner very well.  Google  dragons tail NC.  We have a road near us that is very curvy and the police don’t cite for speeding.  People come from all over the USA to drive those Can Ams off the side of the mountain.   The wife and I will pull over and Picknic at Broken Femur Fall and I have personally saw three of those things cartwheel down the mountain.  So be careful and drive safe.  

They do actually corner very well ,and have a stability control and anti roll nanny that notes you are lifting a front tyre or the back is drifting and cuts power and brakes to stabalise you, all i can think is that the riders went way beyond their ability, some people jump on them and assume it's like riding a bike, but it's actually not, and as with all machines you need to learn.

15 hours ago, welsh1 said:

They do actually corner very well ,and have a stability control and anti roll nanny that notes you are lifting a front tyre or the back is drifting and cuts power and brakes to stabalise you, all i can think is that the riders went way beyond their ability, some people jump on them and assume it's like riding a bike, but it's actually not, and as with all machines you need to learn.

Probably true

On 24/01/2020 at 10:15, ditchman said:

we tend not to use those can-ams off the side of a mountain.....we dont think they are suitable for that sort of thing.......we use them over here on what we call roads....flat surfaces with tarmac on top and white lines down the middle.......quite a clever invention......one of our people Mr Mc Adam invented it and the grading for the sub-base that goes underneath..:good:

Did they thank mr Mc Adam by saying “Ta”????

On 24/01/2020 at 10:15, ditchman said:

It’s a help being on the right side of the road to start with 😂😂

On 27/01/2020 at 14:35, kernel gadaffi said:

I was looking at one of these a couple of years ago, but was put off by the lack of a front brake on the bars. I cannot use my right foot to brake with having little or no feeling in it.

You can get a handbrake adaptaion, the foot brake still works but you have a hand brake fitted like a conventional bike

https://www.gumtree.com/p/can-am-motorbikes/2014-can-am-spyder-se5-rs-handbrake-adaption-already-fitted/1357814995?utm_source=newsnow.co.uk