Saltings

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

25 minutes ago, henry d said:

Hmmm, so why use "They"? There are too many conspiracy theorists, yes here on PW, ready to latch onto such mysterious use of words, plus they love someone adding in the UN, all we need is NASA and the Rothschilds and it's a full house flat earth conspiracy! 🤪

In a sense this whole issue is a vast global conspiracy with various organisations spreading misinformation. Al Gore for example who, whilst commuting between his 7 luxury homes by private jet, has become a billionaire through owning the world's largest Carbon Credits trading company. His film An Inconvenient Truth is a truly brilliant marketing exercise in that despite nothing within it being verifiable fact and some being laughably juvenile, it resonated with a lot of people and his ridiculous "hockey stick" graph is still cited today.

34 minutes ago, Scully said:

Not once it grew colder, no. I wonder what caused the climate to grow colder? 😉

Maybe Ron and Angela should give it another go....toasty warm here now. 😎

Plague? Reforestation of areas cleared for agriculture, an increase in carbon uptake by trees and vegetation?

Increase in volcanic activity?

Solar activity?

Etc

3 minutes ago, henry d said:

Palm oil and prawns too

Yes. I believe somewhere around 75% of the Borneo rainforest has now been converted to Palm Oil. That's the food industry for you; to hell with the orang utans let's make loads of money giving everyone type 2 diabetes.

PW makes me laugh at times, if there is a collective of more contrary folks anywhere I would be amazed.

To the OP you are guilty of thinking far too localised, the world is a big old place beyond the shores of Blighty.  Unfortunately i'm not at liberty to share the actual document on PW, an internal albeit non sensitive government briefing, but suffice to say even if the UK was zero carbon contributive now, the impact on global carbon contribution would be less than 1% of what it currently is.

However, the upside is that in the longer term the benefit of becoming non carbon contributive, by 2050, is actually a net financial benefit to all of us in the UK for all sorts of good and groovy reasons so it is a case of we should do it because we can, even if it is statistically insignificant on a global scale right now.  It can also make us feel warm and fuzzy that we are environmentally virtuous.

Great Britain living up to it's title, leading the way in showing how it should be done.

1 hour ago, Scully said:

🙂 Yep, they want what we have, and who are we to tell them they can't have it? 

People harp on about the rain forest disappearing. They're clearing the land for commercial gain, and again, who are we to tell them they can't? After all we did.

And with it all comes population growth🙂

Indeed, we were named Perfidious Albion because we told others to do as we say and not as we do (did).  Yep, that £1 to save little Moembi (and his multitude of spiritual brothers and sisters) that made us feel warm and fuzzy for being humanitarian ( at significant arms length) has somewhat come back to bite us.  Perhaps harsh, but the reason that the mortality rate was so high in places that cannot sustain agriculture, have every hideous disease known to man and are awash with big hungry bitey creatures, was rather obvious.  We changed that balance and are somehow surprised that there is a consequence in not being able to sustain agriculture to feed even more mouths, hence having to modify the landscape even more and the attendant rapid reduction in numbers of big hungry bitey creatures that the same moralistic humanitarians also wish to champion.

1 hour ago, Westward said:

The "Man Made" aspect of climate change is the greatest deception in all history; far bigger even than the statins hoax - and that's saying something!

Today "They" announce the present warming period is the most rapid for the last 2,000 years. How can they possibly know that? I'm pretty sure we didn't have many climate experts or even thermometers back in the 10th/11th centuries when it was so warm there were agricultural communities in Greenland.

If someone can prove scientifically that increasing the volume of CO2 from 0.03% to 0.04% can change the climate by increasing global temperatures I'll eat my wife's Aygo.

T'is why "they" are scientists and you are not. Study of glacier cores and even geological study of strata is eminently revealing of all sorts of stuff, evidence of the past does not rely on someone writing stuff down with pen or pencil and waiting for it to be discovered.

Can you imagine if in many generations hence someone discovered an archive of PW and tried to use that as factual evidence of anything, beyond an ability to have an argument in an empty room?  For a forum that was all about pigeon shooting we still cannot agree what is the most appropriate pigeon load (see recent thread of 5s v 7s along with hundreds of other such discussions).  If we cannot even agree on that then our chances of collectively being right about global climatology is somewhat stretched.

4 minutes ago, grrclark said:

Phampion.

T'is why "they" are scientists and you are not. Study of glacier cores and even geological study of strata is eminently revealing of all sorts of stuff, evidence of the past does not rely on someone writing stuff down with pen or pencil and waiting for it to be discovered.

In assuming that I'm not a scientist you are making a leap of faith here. I'm actually not a climate scientist but strictly speaking there's no such discipline anyway. Nevertheless, as a committed discoverer of relevant facts I've read quite a lot about core samples which of course were once seen as the shining beacon for the climate hysterics - at least until further study revealed the inconvenient truth (see what I did there?) that increased CO2 levels actually followed the rises in temperature, they didn't precede them. Funny, we don't hear much about ice core samples anymore.

I'm all in favour of reducing emissions and cleaning up the environment. I'd love to have clean air, clean rivers, clean oceans and clean, unadulterated food too, but I can't see how it can be achieved when all the emphasis is on climate change; something we can do nothing to stop.

For those that may not have seen this before it is an interesting and informative visual of global climate change over the last 22,000 years. https://xkcd.com/1732/

2 minutes ago, Westward said:

In assuming that I'm not a scientist you are making a leap of faith here. I'm actually not a climate scientist but strictly speaking there's no such discipline anyway. Nevertheless, as a committed discoverer of relevant facts I've read quite a lot about core samples which of course were once seen as the shining beacon for the climate hysterics - at least until further study revealed the inconvenient truth (see what I did there?) that increased CO2 levels actually followed the rises in temperature, they didn't precede them. Funny, we don't hear much about ice core samples anymore.

I'm all in favour of reducing emissions and cleaning up the environment. I'd love to have clean air, clean rivers, clean oceans and clean, unadulterated food too, but I can't see how it can be achieved when all the emphasis is on climate change; something we can do nothing to stop.

It may be a leap of faith or it could just be observational that you don't present an argument that someone with a trained scientific background might...

We can however do something to influence and in dealing with macro systems even a small change in input state can have a large effect.

27 minutes ago, grrclark said:

PW makes me laugh at times, if there is a collective of more contrary folks anywhere I would be amazed.

To the OP you are guilty of thinking far too localised, the world is a big old place beyond the shores of Blighty.  Unfortunately i'm not at liberty to share the actual document on PW, an internal albeit non sensitive government briefing, but suffice to say even if the UK was zero carbon contributive now, the impact on global carbon contribution would be less than 1% of what it currently is.

However, the upside is that in the longer term the benefit of becoming non carbon contributive, by 2050, is actually a net financial benefit to all of us in the UK for all sorts of good and groovy reasons so it is a case of we should do it because we can, even if it is statistically insignificant on a global scale right now.  It can also make us feel warm and fuzzy that we are environmentally virtuous.

Great Britain living up to it's title, leading the way in showing how it should be done.

Indeed, we were named Perfidious Albion because we told others to do as we say and not as we do (did).  Yep, that £1 to save little Moembi (and his multitude of spiritual brothers and sisters) that made us feel warm and fuzzy for being humanitarian ( at significant arms length) has somewhat come back to bite us.  Perhaps harsh, but the reason that the mortality rate was so high in places that cannot sustain agriculture, have every hideous disease known to man and are awash with big hungry bitey creatures, was rather obvious.  We changed that balance and are somehow surprised that there is a consequence in not being able to sustain agriculture to feed even more mouths, hence having to modify the landscape even more and the attendant rapid reduction in numbers of big hungry bitey creatures that the same moralistic humanitarians also wish to champion.

Can you imagine if in many generations hence someone discovered an archive of PW and tried to use that as factual evidence of anything, beyond an ability to have an argument in an empty room?  For a forum that was all about pigeon shooting we still cannot agree what is the most appropriate pigeon load (see recent thread of 5s v 7s along with hundreds of other such discussions).  If we cannot even agree on that then our chances of collectively being right about global climatology is somewhat stretched.

:good:Love this post. However global warming has reached my garden for the last three days. It's truly baking here. 

1 minute ago, oowee said:

:good:Love this post. However global warming has reached my garden for the last three days. It's truly baking here. 

Likewise.  In a glaring display of hypocrisy I popped out to buy some more cooling fans that I can leave powered on and contributing to energy waste and climate change, but it drafts a cool breeze over me throughout the house so it's all really about the here and now :P 

1 minute ago, henry d said:

Could you not have employed a punkah wallah?

I ought to have, but as you well know in Scotland a punkah wallah would have to be on a zero hours contract, it is very much a short term demand led occupation and i have a moral conscience.

27 minutes ago, grrclark said:

It may be a leap of faith or it could just be observational that you don't present an argument that someone with a trained scientific background might...

So... Observational assessments are okay for you to make but for others... Not so much eh?

59 minutes ago, grrclark said:

Great post.

29 minutes ago, grrclark said:

I ought to have, but as you well know in Scotland a punkah wallah would have to be on a zero hours contract, it is very much a short term demand led occupation and i have a moral conscience.

Wee Eck isn't doing much at the moment, plus he is full of hot air which will be useful for cooking, cleaning and central heating as and when necessary?

I’m loving it. Couldn’t come quick enough. A drop of heat, so what? It’ll only get worse, one day soon the sun will burp and half of these humans will perish immediately. The other half will die shortly after. It’s not a bad thing, I’ve seen some of them wobbling, half naked, along pavements today. Big bloated tattooed stinkers in tracksuit bottoms. Judgement day couldn’t come quick enough.

But seriously, the planet will be fine. The sea used to be 1200 metres above what it was today. If it wants to revert, there’s nothing you can do about it. We’re all just fungus on this rock.

Just now, henry d said:

Wee Eck isn't doing much at the moment, plus he is full of hot air which will be useful for cooking, cleaning and central heating as and when necessary?

He's a bit too 'hands on' for my tastes......

David Mundell, however, is now looking for a new post and from past evidence I think he is probably the perfect type to waft his boss with whatever they wish (to hear)

1 minute ago, Pistol p said:

I’m loving it. Couldn’t come quick enough. A drop of heat, so what? It’ll only get worse, one day soon the sun will burp and half of these humans will perish immediately. The other half will die shortly after. It’s not a bad thing, I’ve seen some of them wobbling, half naked, along pavements today. Big bloated tattooed stinkers in tracksuit bottoms. Judgement day couldn’t come quick enough.

But seriously, the planet will be fine. The sea used to be 1200 metres above what it was today. If it wants to revert, there’s nothing you can do about it. We’re all just fungus on this rock.

Or was the land 1200 metres lower? 🤔

5 minutes ago, Pistol p said:

😂 A balmy 36 degrees outside the house today, according to other halfs mother. 😎

1 hour ago, henry d said:

Plague? Reforestation of areas cleared for agriculture, an increase in carbon uptake by trees and vegetation?

Increase in volcanic activity?

Solar activity?

Etc

Ice giants? 

7 minutes ago, Pistol p said:

The half naked and wobbling big bloated tattood stinkers in track suit bottoms and that's just the women. 😂

11 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello Retsdon, are you having a break from work to spend with the family, i never got to see the Chiang mai area in Thailand,

Yes, having a break .... actually been having a break since the first week of May! Possibly the only good thing about my job is the vacation time. But I go back to the sand three weeks tomorrow. And I'm north of Chiang Mai in Chiang Rai, about 25km from the Myanmar border.