Suckling pig

Prospero

1 hour ago, Fatcatsplat said:

Can you make a firepit?

Spatchcock it and cook long and slow over a well raised grill - Cut down Tesco trollies are allegedly really, really good for this sort of thing (ahem).

excactly this...........and keep basting it with lots of juice and oil and honey..................

Unfortunately I don't have the facility to make a fire pit. Likewise ordering something from eBay it's not going to get here in time for the weekend. I plan to put it on my BBQ with some foil underneath then just keep turning it over and over and over so that the gets evenly cooked.

Thanks for the suggestions chaps.

Can you get your hands on a 45 gal drum(clean)  cut that in half length wise and you have a fire pit, make up your 'turnery' frame over that.  If you put it on your barbecue then suspend it a little bit above the grill and close the lid.  Low and slow and keep basting.   I would be looking at 6hrs minimum real low and slow.  Obviously being pork make sure it is thoroughly cooked right through.

My father was in the butchery trade and got invited to many diners where they would serve suckling pig and he always found another committment. He said cooking such was a complete waste of what would become some really good eating later on and I tend to agree.

Edited by Walker570

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

My father was in the butchery trade and got invited to many diners where they would serve suckling pig and he always found another committment. He said cooking such was a complete waste of what would become some really good eating later on and I tend to agree.

So you're saying that it should be spit roasted rather than cooked in the oven?

The problem is the belly and shoulder will be cremated before the legs are cooked through properly. It can be done though, but its not as simple as it looks, you need to move the heat from the belly and shoulders for a while to enable the legs to cook through. 

I was very close to starting a business up and leaving the butchering trade I'd been in for nearly 30 years, albeit just a weekend job doing hog roasts for weddings and similar. But looking into it it was not as profitable as i thought,  once you count in the time and hassle. 

As I said though, it can be done but needs to be done properly. 

2 hours ago, Prospero said:

So you're saying that it should be spit roasted rather than cooked in the oven?

No not really. I tend to be with my father that rear it on for another 15 -16 weeks and you have some descent meat to eat BUT whatever floats your boat.  I'm also with Dougy, it ain't that simple.  Triple wrapping the belly and shoulders in foil may do the job once they are cooked through.  Just make sure it is cooked properly...meat thermometer essential.

I see what you're getting at, you'd prefer them to be a bit older before they were slaughtered. Well fair enough I don't think I've eaten suckling pig before so I'll see how we go.

I'm going to remove the head and the lower extremities that we wouldn't be eating anyway in a bid to fit it in the oven. Having weighed it now, it actually comes in at 12 and a half kg so I'm thinking I'm going to need to cook it on a low temperature for around 10 hours, and then at the end see if I can get it nice and crispy on the outside. Lots of basting with I think my favourite which is soy sauce.

🐖🐖😝

2 hours ago, Prospero said:

I see what you're getting at, you'd prefer them to be a bit older before they were slaughtered. Well fair enough I don't think I've eaten suckling pig before so I'll see how we go.

I'm going to remove the head and the lower extremities that we wouldn't be eating anyway in a bid to fit it in the oven. Having weighed it now, it actually comes in at 12 and a half kg so I'm thinking I'm going to need to cook it on a low temperature for around 10 hours, and then at the end see if I can get it nice and crispy on the outside. Lots of basting with I think my favourite which is soy sauce.

🐖🐖😝

Sounds like your on the right track. Hope it all comes out well. I always enjoy cooking something for the first time not knowing exactly how it will turn out.  My friends have never walked out when I tell them I am using them as guinea pigs.  I would obtain a meat thermometer not only for this roast but for the future. It will tell you the inner temperature regardless of what the outside looks like. 

14 hours ago, Walker570 said:

No not really. I tend to be with my father that rear it on for another 15 -16 weeks and you have some descent meat to eat BUT whatever floats your boat.  I'm also with Dougy, it ain't that simple.  Triple wrapping the belly and shoulders in foil may do the job once they are cooked through.  Just make sure it is cooked properly...meat thermometer essential.

Yes to this, eaten it abroad but it did nowt for me, a diet of milk doesn,t develop flavour. Canny crackling but.

Edited by guzzicat

You have inspired me, so at the weekend, I bought a rotisserie for the BBQ and bought a pork loin joint from the local butchers.

Stuffed garlic in to slits and tied on some sprigs of rosemary, scored, oiled and salted the skin.

Here is the result - it was delicious.

DSCN3918.JPG.e5bdc81e8a5f0a25b1443503fb255aba.JPG