Pulling them off rape

Reganhmr

So today they cut the rape on the farm next door where I DONT have permission to shoot, no crops are grown on the farm I have permission it's all dairy and I mainly shoot the rabbits decoying pigeons is fairly new to me.

I've been watching them of a week now and there is a solid flight line stright through the middle of the rape, Do we think it's worth while trying to pull them off the stubble into a grass field?

Any suggestions for a 1/2 decent bag?

TIA!

I doubt very much you will pull them from the rape stubble, you may possibly get the odd one have a look at your decoys on its way there.

Your best bet (if possible) and as aga man suggested, is to get under or as close to the flight line and take what birds you can, once they get into feeding on rape seed there’s not much that will pull them from their desired destination.

On 25/07/2019 at 17:05, Reganhmr said:

So today they cut the rape on the farm next door where I DONT have permission to shoot, no crops are grown on the farm I have permission it's all dairy and I mainly shoot the rabbits decoying pigeons is fairly new to me.

I've been watching them of a week now and there is a solid flight line stright through the middle of the rape, Do we think it's worth while trying to pull them off the stubble into a grass field?

TIA!

Would there be any chance if you asked the land owner if you could put a few decoys on his rape stubble while you have setup on your own perm ?, you have got nothing to lose and might have everything to gain .

Do the owner of the dairy know the rape farmer very well ? , perhaps he could put a good word in for you to have a go from your boundary line.

Failing that , have you made any enquires about shooting on the rape , if not ask if you can keep an eye on next years crop , this will be going in over the next few weeks .

DONT always presume somebody else have got the shooting as people who shoot pigeons are know to pack pigeon shooting in on a regular basis through old age , work commitments , family and many more reasons . GOOD LUCK.

5 hours ago, old'un said:

I doubt very much you will pull them from the rape stubble, you may possibly get the odd one have a look at your decoys on its way there.

Your best bet (if possible) and as aga man suggested, is to get under or as close to the flight line and take what birds you can, once they get into feeding on rape seed there’s not much that will pull them from their desired destination.

I disagree with this. I have often decoyed pigeons onto a field next to the one they are feeding on. One day that stands out was a couple of years ago. I shot next to a wheat stubble. The field I was on was of no interest to them, food wise. I shot over 100, mostly decoyed.

8 hours ago, motty said:

I disagree with this. I have often decoyed pigeons onto a field next to the one they are feeding on. One day that stands out was a couple of years ago. I shot next to a wheat stubble. The field I was on was of no interest to them, food wise. I shot over 100, mostly decoyed.

So you pulled the birds from the wheat stubble onto your decoyed field, well done, the OP should have a good day then, pulling the birds off the rape stubble and onto his grass field.

14 hours ago, marsh man said:

Would there be any chance if you asked the land owner if you could put a few decoys on his rape stubble while you have setup on your own perm ?, you have got nothing to lose and might have everything to gain .

Do the owner of the dairy know the rape farmer very well ? , perhaps he could put a good word in for you to have a go from your boundary line.

Failing that , have you made any enquires about shooting on the rape , if not ask if you can keep an eye on next years crop , this will be going in over the next few weeks .

DONT always presume somebody else have got the shooting as people who shoot pigeons are know to pack pigeon shooting in on a regular basis through old age , work commitments , family and many more reasons . GOOD LUCK.

👍

9 hours ago, motty said:

👍

You're not going to shoot as many as if you could set up on the actual field but it's surprising what some well placed decoys can do in turning enough birds your way to have a good day. 

1 hour ago, old'un said:

So you pulled the birds from the wheat stubble onto your decoyed field, well done, the OP should have a good day then, pulling the birds off the rape stubble and onto his grass field.

He COULD have a good day.

21 minutes ago, motty said:

He COULD have a good day.

Yes its possible he could, but as we do not know if the birds are crossing his grass fields to get to the rape stubble, my reply was to the OP question “pull birds off the rape stubble”

29 minutes ago, old'un said:

Yes its possible he could, but as we do not know if the birds are crossing his grass fields to get to the rape stubble, my reply was to the OP question “pull birds off the rape stubble”

they don't have to be crossing the grass field, if you set up on the bordering hedge treeline or whatever a rotary will pull them off the line, I have lost count the amount of times I have done it, and yes you never know what kind of bag you will shoot, but that's the same most times you set up on a field 

34 minutes ago, yickdaz said:

they don't have to be crossing the grass field, if you set up on the bordering hedge treeline or whatever a rotary will pull them off the line, I have lost count the amount of times I have done it, and yes you never know what kind of bag you will shoot, but that's the same most times you set up on a field 

Well if you can pull pigeons that are following their mates across the middle of the neighbouring rape field (of unknown size) and onto a grass field, then I bow to your superior decoying skills.

Edited by old'un

• 5 months later...
On 25/07/2019 at 17:05, Reganhmr said:

I've had this exact scenario.

I didn't really "pull the birds off" i sat near the flight line that they were going onto the field on; and put out decoys 30 yds or so away from the boundry with my back against the fence. Alot of birds showed interest and came in low on their way into the fielf which presented a shot, but i was suprised at how many decoyed in. 

Good luck

• 3 weeks later...

sometimes they have an agenda and you can't tempt them away from their planned route at all, occasionally they'll come in like lambs. Their behaviour can also change throughout the day, in the morning they don't decoy and in the afternoon they could be more easily tempted, I get the feeling they are more susceptible to the offer of an easy meal as it gets later in the day.