Borders gamekeeper looking at jail sentence

6 hours ago, Saltings said:

he may have no choice as his lord and master says, get rid of or we will find someone else,  job and dwelling gone after all the years of service , homeless and no job, 

may or not be the case  either way not good

I would think that if such pressure was bought to bear by his employer, his legal representative would have bought that out during the trial in mitigation? After all he had already been dismissed from his job, so there was no advantage to be gained or benefit to him from keeping quiet!

On 26/07/2019 at 09:31, panoma1 said:

His actions are not the norm in shooting today.......he is a dinosaur living in the past.............thankfully for our sport, he is now extinct, like the other dinosaurs!

His actions might not be the norm but it do crop up from time to time , last year a so called keeper who was 65 and should have known better from N / Norfolk kept dead birds of prey ( 10 Buzzards and a Sparrowhawk ) and other prohibitive  poisons in his freezer  was charged and was fined with a suspended sentence , and another case went to court a while back where a woman saw a pigeon shooter shoot a b o p that landed in the garden with a damaged wing , the police were called and the person was charged , when it went to court he got away with it as there were other people shooting at the same time and they couldn't prove he was the one who initially shot it , mind you , it did help the person charged that the landowner on whose land he was shooting was one of the top barristers in the country and a very large land owner , needless to say , the person who was found not guilty never went shooting on that land again .

2 minutes ago, marsh man said:

His actions might not be the norm but it do crop up from time to time , last year a so called keeper who was 65 and should have known better from N / Norfolk kept dead birds of prey ( 10 Buzzards and a Sparrowhawk ) and other prohibitive  poisons in his freezer  was charged and was fined with a suspended sentence , and another case went to court a while back where a woman saw a pigeon shooter shoot a b o p that landed in the garden with a damaged wing , the police were called and the person was charged , when it went to court he got away with it as there were other people shooting at the same time and they couldn't prove he was the one who initially shot it , mind you , it did help the person charged that the landowner on whose land he was shooting was one of the top barristers in the country and a very large land owner , needless to say , the person who was found not guilty never went shooting on that land again .

Yes MM, unfortunately these incidents do occur from time to time. What these "keepers" have done is nothing to do with, and not the responsibility of shooting, these individuals are criminals and what they have done is illegal, consequently it's the responsibility of the police prosecute them and to the courts to stamp it out......shooting is being pilloried and deemed guilty by association to these criminals, I don't think that's fair?.....because such conduct is not the norm in keepering today.

7 hours ago, Saltings said:

he may have no choice as his lord and master says, get rid of or we will find someone else,  job and dwelling gone after all the years of service , homeless and no job, 

I repeat..the employer should be hit as well.

On ‎30‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 02:44, Saltings said:

He did not live in an estate house as reported he had I think  only worked for the estate for a 3 or 4 seasons.

On 30/07/2019 at 10:28, Walker570 said:

I repeat..the employer should be hit as well.

Seeing as how you feel the need to repeat yourself, you obviously have evidence to support charging the employer ?

Because no-one else including the Police seem to have any.

5 minutes ago, Scully said:

I think it would all depend on whether it could be proved the employer told him to do so.

I agree. If there was any evidence of him being pressured in to doing what he has then yes his employer should be prosecuted and given the sort of fines that would hit them hard, and the same goes for any employer that puts pressure on employees to break the law or put them selves or others at risk (I used to work for one!) but it doesn't look like anything like that has happened.