Remoaners, take some of this.

JDog

He is a Knobber

ITV News exclusive: Jacob Rees-Mogg issues style guide to staff

Jacob Rees-Mogg has issued the style guide in the first week of his new job.
Jacob Rees-Mogg has issued the style guide in the first week of his new job. Credit: PA/ITV News

The new Leader of the House of Commons Jacob Rees-Mogg has instructed all staff in his new office to use imperial measurements and refer to ‘non-titled males’ as ‘esquire’.

Issuing a style guide in the first week of his job, he also bans colleagues from using various words in correspondence with other MPs and the public.

Among the list of bizarre rules, he asks staff not to use the words “got”, “very” or “equal”.

These are the list of words Jacob Rees-Mogg deems 'no longer fit for purpose'.
These are the list of words Jacob Rees-Mogg deems 'no longer fit for purpose'. Credit: ITV News

Nicknamed the ‘Honourable Member for the 18th Century', Mr Rees-Mogg is known for his formal dress and love of tradition.

In a long list of dos and don’ts, he also asks that all MPs are addressed with the title Esq after their name and tells staff “CHECK your work”.

The EU has issued several directives over the decades asking member states to use metric measurements.

The UK has been a late adopter of the system, continuing to use miles rather than kilometres on road signs, for example.

Mr Rees-Mogg makes clear he would prefer staff to always use imperial measurements, most of which were phased out from the mid-1960s.

Jacob Rees-Mogg explains the use of punctuation and reverts to imperial measurements.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JRM again demonstrating how completely and utterly out of touch he is with the real world.

Any student of linguistics knows that language is a living thing and morphology and syntax are constantly evolving and changing. Consequently there isn't  'correct' language of any kind. Rather there are linguistic conventions pertaining to a period of time.

Of course, for those who were brought up to follow these conventions of usage, future changes will sound 'wrong' and people have complained about these changes since the year dot. But it's King Canute stuff to try and halt the process. If it could have been stopped we'd all be using the language of Beowulf of Chaucer.

But it's symptomatic of the man and those of his ilk. Disregarding all global economic and political development over the last thirty years they want to freeze their own political and economic world in a period of their choosing and hold it there forever. Well, no matter how much you wish it, you're never going to resurrect the use of 'esquire'. And likewise, no matter how much you wish it, you're never going to resurrect the Britain of the Empire period. That's just how it works.

Don't watch Bojo and Mogg, they're the conjurer's distraction. Watch Cummings. When he feels enough undeliverable promises have been made that the c-of-g of voter support has moved back, to yield a Tory majority in the House of Commons, it will be early General Election time. This crowd of Brextreme fantasists need more road to kick the can down and keep the Tory Party from oblivion and they know it.

4 hours ago, Retsdon said:

Any student of linguistics knows that language is a living thing and morphology and syntax are constantly evolving and changing. Consequently there isn't  'correct' language of any kind. Rather there are linguistic conventions pertaining to a period of time.

So the words of the the hood rats which include dis , dat , blood, sick, ho, ting, blat, crew, and many more most of which I have no idea of the meaning should be adopted with welcome arms and used in governmental circles? thought not.

7 minutes ago, Kalahari said:

To be fair to JRM Esq (see what I did there) he has left the wealth management ompany and put all the assets he has in it into a blind trust while he is a member of the government. Not really the actions of a dishonourable man.

David.

Yes I see what you did, but you forgot mp!:whistling:

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE

"In a long list of dos and don’ts, he also asks that all MPs are addressed with the title Esq after their name and tells staff “CHECK your work”.

Maybe you should follow his advice. as Privy Councilor he is a Right Honourable not a Esq.😁

Edited by Dibble

20 minutes ago, sportsbob said:

So the words of the the hood rats which include dis , dat , blood, sick, ho, ting, blat, crew, and many more most of which I have no idea of the meaning should be adopted with welcome arms and used in governmental circles? thought not.

Did anyone say it should? But while we're talking about local dialects, about the Doric? Would that be more acceptable to you? https://youtu.be/hqnX0gmbi_U?t=128

2 hours ago, Tamus said:

Don't watch Bojo and Mogg, they're the conjurer's distraction. Watch Cummings. When he feels enough undeliverable promises have been made that the c-of-g of voter support has moved back, to yield a Tory majority in the House of Commons, it will be early General Election time. This crowd of Brextreme fantasists need more road to kick the can down and keep the Tory Party from oblivion and they know it.

On 26/07/2019 at 11:05, Capt Christopher Jones said:

Mogg is a self serving  fellow, he stand to do better from brexit than any of us. 

And there's the rub!

For all you remoaners it's about who gets what out of it. The majority vote was for the future of this country for our children and their children.

7 hours ago, Retsdon said:

JRM again demonstrating how completely and utterly out of touch he is with the real world.

Of course, for those who were brought up to follow these conventions of usage, future changes will sound 'wrong' and people have complained about these changes since the year dot. But it's King Canute stuff to try and halt the process. If it could have been stopped we'd all be using the language of Beowulf of Chaucer.

But it's symptomatic of the man and those of his ilk. Disregarding all global economic and political development over the last thirty years they want to freeze their own political and economic world in a period of their choosing and hold it there forever. Well, no matter how much you wish it, you're never going to resurrect the use of 'esquire'. And likewise, no matter how much you wish it, you're never going to resurrect the Britain of the Empire period. That's just how it works.

So out of touch with the real world he runs a successful business and is high up in government, but as we all know there are many who do not like people who succeed  and attempt to discredit them, more so if they have opposing political view to them.

Yes language evolves ,but he is not asking for it to stay the same, he is asking his office to act professionally after all they will be writing to heads of government and world leaders.
As for the other bits about using imperial , until i see KM signs on my roads and my local pub starts serving litres not pints and people refer to me as 1.85 m tall not 6 foot, then i cannot see anything wrong with using mph ,pint, and feet and inches when writing about certain things.

It is also telling when someone writes 
"But it's symptomatic of the man and those of his ilk."

Despite their little foibles, Boris and Jacob have brought a brighter atmosphere to the House of Commons. Quicker on their feet than the opposition, they have been great to watch.

JRM shredded the MPs opposite, including one from the Tory back benches, who was prattling on about debating No Deal.

1 hour ago, sportsbob said:

Fool

Well, you were the one who brought up the absurd idea of local/regional patois being used in government communications.. So I wondered from your examples if it was purely a racial thing, or if perhaps you objected to all dialectal variations from standard RP.  From your response I'm assuming that you don't quite know what you think at all. So we'll leave it there, shall we?

27 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

Boris and Jacob have brought a brighter atmosphere to the House of Commons

Boris has always been an amusing speaker. The problem is that he doesn't ever speak to genuinely contribute ideas or push a process on. He ALWAYS speaks to elicit approval from a target audience - cheers and catcalls from the gallery. The result is that he attaches no importance whatsoever to the veracity of what he's saying. As long as they sound good his words are doing their job. And everyone knows that this is how he thinks.

But as they say, you campaign in poetry but govern in prose, and the country is about to find out the hard way that Boris's witty 5th former's debating style won't answer at all out on the world stage where statesmen and women are expected to stand by what they say.

Actually,  although I know I shouldn't, I can't help looking forward to the inevitable train smash. The way sterling is headed my pension's going to be worthless anyway. Might as well get a bit of a laugh ....

2 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

Boris has always been an amusing speaker. The problem is that he doesn't ever speak to genuinely contribute ideas or push a process on. He ALWAYS speaks to elicit approval from a target audience - cheers and catcalls from the gallery. The result is that he attaches no importance whatsoever to the veracity of what he's saying. As long as they sound good his words are doing their job. And everyone knows that this is how he thinks.

But as they say, you campaign in poetry but govern in prose, and the country is about to find out the hard way that Boris's witty 5th former's debating style won't answer at all out on the world stage where statesmen and women are expected to stand by what they say.

Actually,  although I know I shouldn't, I can't help looking forward to the inevitable train smash. The way sterling is headed my pension's going to be worthless anyway. Might as well get a bit of a laugh ....

So he wasnt 'genuinely contributing' when he said more police, more spending on the NHS and education ?
Must have miss heard him then ?

What he did do , in his '5 th form debating style' was demolish the labour front benches prepared ,read from speeches, with an ad libbed , highly articulate, and fact laden response, that left them utterly bereft of any meaningful response.

When was the last time Corbyn did anything like that ?

Youre waiting for the train smash ?
You might be waiting a long time, Bojos got plenty of mojo right now.