FEO visit

Good morning all 

I’m new to pigeon watch so apologies if this post is in the wrong place.

I’ve applied for my sgc and have my interview on the 28th of August whilst having a brief conversation with FEO over the phone he said his only concern is regarding the two children I have special guardianship for . The two children are my second cousins and the parents are no good they both have criminal records    And are both the type of people that society can do without . Now myself I am a law abiding citizen with no criminal record not even a speeding ticket. I coach and manage a kids football team . Regarding the parents they have no contact with the children and have never set foot in my house nor will they . So I’m just looking for your opinions on this situation. Do I stand a chance of getting my license . I’m having lessons and have a course for shotgun safety booked . I would hate to have to give up a sport I’ve fallen in love with . I only shoot clay I’m not going to lie to anyone I haven’t got the Hart for game. Thank you in advance 

Good advice from Tightchoke.

The concerns would stem from the criminality of the bio parents and any POSSIBLE contact at your address or with the children.
Its imperative you get the fact across that there is no such access , any proof from social services you could provide would help.

If you put yourself in the position of the FEO , who has to be sure that your firearms are not compromised in any way, the thought MAY be in their mind, of the children telling bio parents you have a firearm, hence you being the target of some kind of theft to acquire it for criminal purposes.

Apart from that I think you have all bases covered, good luck.

Just now, lemons1366 said:

I’ve joined CPSA and the children are only 14 and 9 would you recommend joking BASC  as well ?

Something with a legal department preferably.

You can’t really do more than you have already done. If the parents have no physical contact then surely they aren’t really a cause for concern  for your feo. I think it says a lot about your character bringing up kids that aren’t your own although are family. There are many people that would of let them fall in to the care system. Which force are you with?

4 minutes ago, JTaylor91 said:

If the parents have no physical contact then surely they aren’t really a cause for concern  for your feo.

Telling the FEO is one thing, proving it is another.
I have a friend who applied for SGC , as clean as you can get , however application refused, as his brother was on remand for drugs offences.
He repeatedly told them he had zero contact with brother ,and hadnt for years,
He got it 2 years later , after moving 10 miles away from his original address.

He just couldnt prove he had no contact with him, and they err on the side of caution, and rightly so.

When i applied for my FAC  from the met i had some problems with my daughter same issues as you had . I informed him that under no circumstances does she come to my home and we take my grand children to her home for contact. We have been foster carers for many years so we all get problems in life. But explain to FEO that they do not attend your home at any time and if he wants to check with social services  about contact arrangements .  Good   luck cant see why you would be refused one But BASC is the one to join for help  and yes I did join Gun plan  as well.

Assuming everything in your original post is the extent of the arrangement and there's no proverbial skeletons in the closet, I'll eat my hat if they don't grant you an SGC. Just to echo what others have said above, I'd fit a cheapo alarm on the cupboard/safe just to show you're taking this seriously, it's not required but it should curry favour. I am not overly familiar with CPSA, but my understanding is they cover legal fees should your pre-existing license be revoked/your renewal is rejected, I don't believe they cover a refusal for initial grant, where as BASC do.

Adam southeast

thank you for your advice I didn’t know CPSA did not cover for a refusal for initial grant. I have now joined BASC as well.unfortunately they do not process over the weekend so I will have to wait until Monday for them to process my membership then I will ring them to let them know my concerns regarding FEO comment. 

One shed alarm ordered to install in cupboard thank you all for the sound advice 

On 27/07/2019 at 09:25, lemons1366 said:

Adam southeast

thank you for your advice I didn’t know CPSA did not cover for a refusal for initial grant. I have now joined BASC as well.unfortunately they do not process over the weekend so I will have to wait until Monday for them to process my membership then I will ring them to let them know my concerns regarding FEO comment. 

One shed alarm ordered to install in cupboard thank you all for the sound advice 

Good lad! Best of luck, let us know how it goes.

• 4 weeks later...

Good afternoon all

Just a update I’ve had my FEO visit and all went well after going through all the questions and inspections his last words were I’m going to recommend that you are granted SGC 😁 so now it’s just a waiting game to see if I’m granted one. So I’d just like to thank you all for your advice 

• 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, lemons1366 said:

One more update

SGC arrived in post today 😀itching to go spend any recommendations? I’m thinking of getting beretta 690 unable to get to shop until Saturday 🤬

Congratulations...Chuck a sickie and get one tomorrow 😜😜what’s your budget