VW T5 Caravelle

PhilR

Does anybody have one or had one? Preferably looking for an auto and in my price range they come with either the 2.5 litre 130 or 174bhp engine. 

Anything specific to look out for? 

I'm on a T5 Facebook group but they're predominantly interested in vans and camper conversions. 

My mate had a 174 had cam go in it twice. Think same engine as the old Audi A6 2.5. Went like stink though. I’ve got 2008 1.9 t5 same old school pd engine as the golf. Touch wood bomb proof. As for gear box friends of ours had one with dsg box, went sour cost them around £6k for new box as Vw said basically it’s a non repairable part so had to have genuine new.

Is the caravelle like a van people carrier with the seats that can be moved around? 

If so we have one on fleet. It’s a 2008 if I recall and last time I saw it it was on 280k

if it is the one I will ask some questions - I do remember it sounds like a tractor mind 

Edited by ph5172

5 hours ago, ph5172 said:

Is the caravelle like a van people carrier with the seats that can be moved around? 

If so we have one on fleet. It’s a 2008 if I recall and last time I saw it it was on 280k

if it is the one I will ask some questions - I do remember it sounds like a tractor mind 

The Caravelle has two sliding rear doors and three rows of seats and comes as a 6 or 7 seater. Two individual seats up front. The middle row has two captain's chairs which can rotate 180 degrees, the back row is either a three seater bench which in some versions can convert into a bed or another pair of captain's chairs. The middle and back row are mounted on long floor rails so can be moved backwards or forwards and are also removable. VW also do a minibus version of the transporter van which is either an 8 or 9 seater in three rows. Some have a 2.5 litre 5 cylinder engine knocking out either 130 or 174 bhp. 

There's plenty about with stellar mileages and by the same token some are absolute low mileage money pits. 

Had an ask. 

297k on apparently is a nice drive, I have never driven it but it does sound very similar to the old 130 passats (like a tractor), bodywork is still reasonable with no rust I saw, interior is still acceptable with no major wear  

apparently there is oem tables and kitchen parts that can be fitted into the rails 

never really seen it in the workshops so that’s probably a good sign

The value on the books is 3k if that’s of any help

I had a 130 2.5 tdi when they first came out. 

The 174 has a few engine issues from what I was told but it was meant to be the 2.5 is unreliable. I clocked 80k in mine before writing it off and I only had a few problems 

water pump 

anti roll bar link

handbrake had a recall and the turbo pipe but that’s 2004/5 

I blew a few turbo pipes and a n75 valve broke ( moo valve) but that was over 7 years.