What's gone wrong here

mellors

OUCH!!!  Exactly what I thought when I saw the first photo !!!!

A blockage was my imediate thought of course but you say the barrel was clear and unscathed.  Two things spring to mind

1.  An overcharge in that cartridge

2. The slide was not locked up although that should mean it would not actually set the trigger, but was the locking mechanism faulty?

Just very pleased you just have a bruise to show for it.  Could have been much much worse.  One of those 'buy a lottery ticket' days.

3 minutes ago, ditchman said:

the block failed to lock and allowed the firing pin to go forward............

you are a lucky boy.........what make auto is it ?

Armsan A612. Never had a problem with it till then. Stripped and cleaned after every trip. 

1 minute ago, guzzicat said:

Gun seems to be r/handed, but injury looks to be to left hand?

Yes. Blew it out my hands. 

11 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

OUCH!!!  Exactly what I thought when I saw the first photo !!!!

A blockage was my imediate thought of course but you say the barrel was clear and unscathed.  Two things spring to mind

1.  An overcharge in that cartridge

2. The slide was not locked up although that should mean it would not actually set the trigger, but was the locking mechanism faulty?

Just very pleased you just have a bruise to show for it.  Could have been much much worse.  One of those 'buy a lottery ticket' days.

when guns are proofed ..arnt they proofed to double standard working load ?

rekon that is the problem....

whatever was the cause....when you take it to your dealer ...tell us what the cause was.............was it your first shot of the day ??

Edited by ditchman

Just now, ditchman said:

when guns are proofed ..arnt they proofed to double standard working load ?

rekon that is the problem....

That is true but a malfunction of the action would not be present when the gun was priginally presented for proof.  It looks(from the photos) that this is the cause of the problem.

Well that's what's left. Was 2nd shot. They were new lyvales as stated. Had the gun 3 years never a problem. Surely must be overcharged cartridge as it's not possible to fire unless it locks in. The firing pin wouldn't be long enough. 

DSC_0837.JPG

2 minutes ago, mellors said:

Well that's what's left. Was 2nd shot. They were new lyvales as stated. Had the gun 3 years never a problem. Surely must be overcharged cartridge as it's not possible to fire unless it locks in. The firing pin wouldn't be long enough. 

DSC_0837.JPG

Certainly looks like a suspect shell,split case & blown primer out,good job it wasn;t a light sbs.

2 minutes ago, guzzicat said:

Certainly looks like a suspect shell,split case & blown primer out,good job it wasn;t a light sbs.

My thoughts as well. Think gun shop first then contact lyvale. Don't suppose they'll do anything though.

The shell must have gone off before it entered the chamber, if the cartridge was enclosed in the chamber, I wouldn't have thought it would be distorted/blown to pieces like that? Maybe firing pin proud of the breech? Maybe hammer prematurely hitting the firing pin, before the breech had locked?

Take plenty of photos, and notes, as the vendor (if you purchased it from a business) you bought it from, should check what's happened, firstly for safety, secondly for any subsequent warranty claim.

Only a guess but I would suggest the firing pin has stuck in the breach block and hit the cartridge as soon as the action has started to push the cartridge into the chamber - the primer has left the scene which would be unlikely had the cartridge been against the breach face - the gun has gone "full auto".

1 hour ago, Smokersmith said:

It doesn’t look like the cartridge was fired in the chamber ... that much damage wouldn’t have been sustained otherwise.

My thought too. 

If it's fully in the chamber and locked into battery it could not have become that mis-shaped even an over charge it couldn't do that to the cartridge. The primers blown out due to having nothing behind it to keep it in. 

My guess is chamber not fully locked closed. 

Edited by Dougy

that looks like the locking lug is broken off  i had this happen before fired a shot second shot lug was broke shell fired but the gun tried to go full auto crushing the next cartridge making it fire out the ejection port lucky my mate had moved from my right or he would have been hit

5 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

Only a guess but I would suggest the firing pin has stuck in the breach block and hit the cartridge as soon as the action has started to push the cartridge into the chamber - the primer has left the scene which would be unlikely had the cartridge been against the breach face - the gun has gone "full auto".

This was my thought also. 

Looks similar to what happened with my Browning Maxus. Discharged out of battery becuase the firing pin wasn't retracted fully in the bolt. The gun was sent off to the proof house by the gunshop and the issue was found to be a sheared firing pin retaing pin.

Maxus 1.JPG