Help, Please, I Haven't A Clue

wymberley

Cheap as chips Hatsan 55 or 65. Neighbour has one in 22 ( one is 177 the other identical but 22) and it's good to 25 yards.I had the striker and it was surprisingly accurate once used to the single trigger. Can't easily silence the striker. 

I bet most gun shops have one knocking about as a part x. 

You get quite a lot of aiguns advertised in freeads app and given a little time something 2nd hand suitable will appear such as BSA lightning, gamo, crosman etc a lot of which are bought on a whim and then resold some months later.

As above, Hatsans, Kral etc do inexpensive guns new at reasonable prices for the distance you are looking to hunt and group.

IMG_20190628_202807.jpg.3020a511f538e43e1714617f8c93bb6e.jpg

3 hours ago, Whitebridges said:

This.

https://www.pellpax.co.uk/airguns/air-rifles/spring-powered-air-rifles/remington-express-synthetic-air-rifle-177/3166

Gunslip, mounts, scope all for £149.99.   Full power under the UK legal limit. No license required.          

Tell you what, I have the xp version. Was utter pants for ages, took hundreds of pellets to bed the barrel in, and vibrated a bit, with a fair bit of dieseling. Stripped it, basic tinbum tune kit, bit of wet and dry and it's now one of my favourite airguns. If I can't be ***** pumping the pcps up, I have no issues when I grab that gun. Didnt want to mention it as imho it needs a tiny bit of work to get great. 

Other thing is the lop is massive on it, suits a lanky *** like me 

Edited by strimmer_13
My 3 babes 😂

18 hours ago, strimmer_13 said:

IMG_20190628_202807.jpg.3020a511f538e43e1714617f8c93bb6e.jpg

Tell you what, I have the xp version. Was utter pants for ages, took hundreds of pellets to bed the barrel in, and vibrated a bit, with a fair bit of dieseling. Stripped it, basic tinbum tune kit, bit of wet and dry and it's now one of my favourite airguns. If I can't be ***** pumping the pcps up, I have no issues when I grab that gun. Didnt want to mention it as imho it needs a tiny bit of work to get great. 

Other thing is the lop is massive on it, suits a lanky *** like me 

They are full of grease. It's in the barrel, cylinder, washers and trigger. Needs a bit of due care and attention and can then really match up. A friend told me he bought his for £129. Billy bargain.       

3 hours ago, Mr.C said:

What Strimmer said, I've the XP in .22 

@strimmer_13 do you have the setback trigger in yours? £25 from Lyn Lewington and polish the sears makes it much lighter, crisper and you don't need digits like ET.

No mate but now you've mentioned it I will get it. 

10 minutes ago, Whitebridges said:

They are full of grease. It's in the barrel, cylinder, washers and trigger. Needs a bit of due care and attention and can then really match up. A friend told me he bought his for £129. Billy bargain.       

Got mine in mole valley on sale when they were getting rid. Think I paid 125, and sold the carpy 4x32 scope on the bay for 20 👍

hello, i think those not so of a young age started with old BSA/Webley spring air rifles, a bit of tinkering and new leather piston washer was the norm, since then i have gone through many springers mostly foreign, some good most bad but can be fettled and a tune kit fitted makes a reasonable job, cheap chinese or ? plus cost of kit plus fitting and time,  my advice now go straight on and buy a HW 99 S around £200 new, you maybe lucky a find a decent second hand with scope and silencer, good luck    

17 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, i think those not so of a young age started with old BSA/Webley spring air rifles, a bit of tinkering and new leather piston washer was the norm, since then i have gone through many springers mostly foreign, some good most bad but can be fettled and a tune kit fitted makes a reasonable job, cheap chinese or ? plus cost of kit plus fitting and time,  my advice now go straight on and buy a HW 99 S around £200 new, you maybe lucky a find a decent second hand with scope and silencer, good luck    

In my case it was a Diana Model 1.

Have emailed him a couple of options - thanks, All, - one a Lightning on his (work) doorstep.

7 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, so long ago i cannot remember :rolleyes:

The Diana you would remember. The only thing that took longer than it did to load was for the pellet to arrive at the target. Was taught to shoot by counting the heads of wasps floating in a water-filled jam jar with some jam wiped around the rim in relation to the number of pellets fired at a distance of 10 yards. There was a heavy financial penalty for a broken jar and a head counted  as a farthing. When I finally broke even, Father said OK, now you can shoot and bought me a  Meteor.

On 27/07/2019 at 20:21, wymberley said:

Step son is away a lot and needs something sub 12 ftlb that is stand alone, on the cheap side, capable of killing pigeon at 25 yards max and is moderated. For infrequent garden use to be grabbed and used when necessary. Is there such a thing? Thoughts, please.

Many thanks.

My thoughts are:  on what legal basis is your stepson going to be shooting pigeons in his garden?