Help, Please, I Haven't A Clue

wymberley

2 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

Did he say he was going to shoot pigeons in his garden? 

Er ! No. 

Er ! like yes. Pretty much. I don't see any other reasonable extrapolation from the OP's question. 

He was looking for something to use in the garden that would kill pigeons and could be grabbed and used when necessary.

And at a very modest 25 yards.

What's your thinking then?

2 hours ago, wymberley said:

Don't know although he might tell me when I see him at the weekend, but I certainly wouldn't be so crass as to ask.

Why would it be crass to ask him?  Don't get me wrong - I would love to shoot pigeons in my own garden. 

I have more than enough of the things. I also have neighbours who feed the foxes.

Know what I'm saying?

I take your point ,its an easy assuption to make. But it is just that.

And also its also just  wymberleys interpretation of his step sons words. 

Im sure there are a few inaccuracies  in the translation. 

I wouldnt be jumping down his throat over the airgun use .But you do have a point shooting wood pigeons in your garden would require you to still fulfill the terms of the gls.

11 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

I take your point ,its an easy assuption to make. But it is just that.

And also its also just  wymberleys interpretation of his step sons words. 

Im sure there are a few inaccuracies  in the translation. 

I wouldnt be jumping down his throat over the airgun use .But you do have a point shooting wood pigeons in your garden would require you to still fulfill the terms of the gls.

Absolutely, quite right.

17 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

Did he say he was going to shoot pigeons in his garden? 

Er ! No. 

He did mention gardens and pigeons. Not sure if he meant at the same time.

Step son is away a lot and needs something sub 12 ftlb that is stand alone, on the cheap side, capable of killing pigeon at 25 yards max and is moderated. For infrequent garden use to be grabbed and used when necessary. Is there such a thing? Thoughts, please.

Many thanks.

Also  - you would need to justify it under GL. This is where a lot of people used to shoot one in their garden or `one for the pot` and assume that they were covered under the old GL. It was never intended for that and is partly why Packham challenged it as not being fit for purpose. 

People have always done it and probably still will.

Edited by hedge

On ‎28‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 19:08, Ultrastu said:

Are not good. 

Don't they own BSA? Well I have had there kit from late 70's to modern, I think pretty good barrels and internals, cheap in the trigger systems, so not so refined, and lots of plastic but they work well enough.

Oops! Talking of the GL which some are - don't know why, it's all legit - it crossed my mind that it's just the same. "We really need something to sort it out, My Dearest." "We can't afford it." "I'll find something cheap and second hand." "OK." "Not a lot out there but I found one." "Best you ring before shooting off down there." "Good idea, My Precious." Later - "oh dear, he sold it half an hour ago. I've tried everything I can think of, I'll just have to get a new one." "Why am I not surprised?"

Step - son stuck on the M42 heading this way - very, very slowly, -  "Can you nip up to ************* and buy that air rifle for me, they've only got two in stock and I'm not going to make it with the traffic and I don't want this to also go 30 minutes before I get there tomorrow (that bit was indeed true)." "I'm on it."

Yep, there was 2 in stock. Now the trouble starts. :innocent:

I bought one BSA Lightning XL SE Black in 177 Flavour on behalf of my step-son for seasonal crop protection in the fruit garden.

I bought the other BSA Lightning XL SE Black in 177 Flavour for myself but have absolutely no idea what I'm going to do with it. I've just mounted the MTC Genesis on it and it does look the business though.

7 hours ago, wymberley said:

I bought one BSA Lightning XL SE Black in 177 Flavour on behalf of my step-son for seasonal crop protection in the fruit garden.

I bought the other BSA Lightning XL SE Black in 177 Flavour for myself but have absolutely no idea what I'm going to do with it. I've just mounted the MTC Genesis on it and it does look the business though.

Very nice, same action as my supersport but yours has the nicer stock.

Well, I'm impressed. My age doesn't help plus the fact that I've not fired an air rifle for some 40 odd years and was shooting a brand spanking new gun for the first time while leaning on the corrugated iron top of a pig pen in somewhat blustery conditions which didn't help too much either. I need to fire a good few more shots before I even think of putting it over the chrono, but thus far the spot on one half inch groups at a range of 30 yards for my preferred zero that I've managed to achieve bodes well for it's future use.

Lovely. If the scope is pretty high ?(say 1.7 inch ) above the bore (centre of scope to centre of barrel ) and your using 8.4 grn airarms or jsb .then a 35 yds zero should be spot on and mean you can aim pretty much bang on a pigeon from 12 to 40 yds and hit the kill zone .

Edited by Ultrastu

On ‎02‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 19:27, wymberley said:

But love, i had to buy both otherwise one would be lonely. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Don't forget the obvious, give the barrel a good clean through and time for the gun to settle, then you and your lad can compete with the same gun, what more could you want 😁 

On 02/08/2019 at 19:27, wymberley said:

Just read through your thread Wym, glad you didn't buy the Chinese rubbish, I've just stripped one down the other day & what a load of **** they are, 1st year metalwork stuff, totally abysmal excuse for an air rifle, I'm amazed anyone buys them....:good:

4 hours ago, Bazooka Joe said:

Just read through your thread Wym, glad you didn't buy the Chinese rubbish, I've just stripped one down the other day & what a load of **** they are, 1st year metalwork stuff, totally abysmal excuse for an air rifle, I'm amazed anyone buys them....:good:

Cheers, Joe, hope all is well at your end.

To be honest, I took the advice and suggested the lad got a second hand BSA - and actually found him one near his work He rang before legging it over and they'd just sold it. I'm simply along for the ride - if he'd have got the one mentioned that would have been it for me, but circumstances were such that I simply couldn't leave one on the shelf at The Sportsman.

I would imagne the cost of the Chinese stuff has pulling power.