Very Hot Shooting

Monday I had a call about some crows hitting the edge of a wheat field, when I arrived I saw approx three hundred crows down on the edge of the field , as I drove down they all lifted off and went in one flock to a wood about a mile away. It was now 11.00 and I set up under an Oak tree for shade . This gave me overhead cover and the crows soon started to return, as they were shot I placed them on the edge of the wheat. Between 12.00 and 13.00 it was so hot nothing was flying at all but I did manage to shoot a couple of pigeons flighting high above me which I put out as decoys which over the next few hours attracted further pigeons along with more corvids. I'd started the day with nothing and ended at 18.00 with eighty corvids and twenty pigeons. The farmer was pleased so it was a result.

I went out with DB on wednesday and after a number of miles we could not find any downed wheat or birds. So we called a number of farms and one said the birds were on the wires dropping in on the tracks but in the middle of the field. So we made our way to the farm and scanned the fields , he was right, they were all in the centre of three fields sitting on the wires and dropping down to feed. It was impossible to shoot the centre of the field but we noticed a promentry jutting out into the field and decided to try and shoot birds passing from the field back to a wood and drop birds into the wood. The only problem was we would be shooting into the sun, but so be it. We set up the hide and put the magnet on the grass strip at the side of the hide for movement. It was very hot and all the shot birds were put into a sack to prevent fly damage. You had to chose your shot as to not drop the birds in the standing wheat. We had set up at 14.00 and shot til 18.00 and picked up seventyfour birds. I'm aware that some members of the Forum object to trophy pictures so I kept them in the bag for the picture.

I'm sorry this is a short report but My Sons wedding this Friday is still resounding in my brain at present.   

100-3425.jpg
80 Corvids, 20 Pigeons
IMG-1490.jpg

Pictures of decoy pattern towards the end of the day
IMG-1491.jpg

Pictures of decoy pattern towards the end of the day

100-3426.jpg

74 pigeon in the bag

Another fine result PC, its always a pleasure to read your reports.

I trust you had your tongue firmly in your cheek when you made this comment, "I'm aware that some members of the Forum object to trophy pictures so I kept them in the bag for the picture".😉
I hope normal service will be resumed as soon as possible.

14 minutes ago, Cranfield said:

Another fine result PC, its always a pleasure to read your reports.

I trust you had your tongue firmly in your cheek when you made this comment, "I'm aware that some members of the Forum object to trophy pictures so I kept them in the bag for the picture".😉
I hope normal service will be resumed as soon as possible.

Thanks for your comments, my tongue was so far in my cheek it was coming out of my ear!!!!!!!