Woodworking on a spindle moulder

team tractor

Chatting to winnie bezza on here earlier about spindle moulder cutting and I thought I’d search for a few videos to explain.

i thought I’d share basically what we use everyday in work. Although it’s slightly safer it’s basically the same.

skip to 10 mins to see the ring fence work . 

Its all totally legal cutters on 10 minutes and not really possible to guard as the cutters have to be exposed. 

Our machines have a lot more power than this one. Ours are 3 phase

Edited by team tractor

11 hours ago, figgy said:

Very dangerous bits of kit.

11 hours ago, team tractor said:

Its what took my finger tips

I am reminded of a visit we made to a Cloisonné factory in China. After the bowls and jugs had been baked the enamel had a sort of orange peel finish which needed to be smoothed. The bowls were placed in a sort of chuck which spun at an enormous rpm. Each worker had what seemed like an abrasive stone in each hand which they dipped in water and smoothed the enamel.

After the demonstration the proud manager asked if we had any questions. Noting the complete absence of safety guards etc I asked what would be the consequences of a worker injuring their hand(s). The manager thought for a moment then said "No Problem. There are plenty people outside willing to take his place" !!!

39 minutes ago, johnphilip said:

At around 9 mins , with the lower  cutter, near the end of the cut , wow his fingers are realy close .

And totally legal tho. Everytime I use a ring fence I’m just happy at the end. I’ve had them snatch several times and my wrists have been swollen just making round skirting board. 

1 hour ago, Bobba said:

I am reminded of a visit we made to a Cloisonné factory in China. After the bowls and jugs had been baked the enamel had a sort of orange peel finish which needed to be smoothed. The bowls were placed in a sort of chuck which spun at an enormous rpm. Each worker had what seemed like an abrasive stone in each hand which they dipped in water and smoothed the enamel.

After the demonstration the proud manager asked if we had any questions. Noting the complete absence of safety guards etc I asked what would be the consequences of a worker injuring their hand(s). The manager thought for a moment then said "No Problem. There are plenty people outside willing to take his place" !!!

I tend to do the risky stuff so my staff are safe. 

2 hours ago, ditchman said:

i have used most machines/tools ..........but bench saws and spindle cutters make my knees go wobbly just at the thought of using them.........

It doesn’t get easier trust me. Spindle moulder is just horrible and scary. . Panel saw is fine tho for me, it’s only broken a few fingers on kick backs . Considering how many miles of timber we machine it’s a good track record for over 20 years , everyday upto 12 hour days. Seen 3 others trim fingers off or kick backs. 

I heard recently that my old teacher at college showed someone to clean the plane bed with his hand but it hadn’t been turned off :/ . His whole Palm gone .

my dads mate lost 3 fingers on a spindle and I’ve met 2 others like it. Had another joiner I met missing 4 fingers on the panel saw. He’d retired and he let his guard down in his own garage 

1108CB96-CF1C-45BB-822F-C07CEE63F0CC.jpeg

Edited by team tractor

seems to be a common pattern here .

yep very dangerous bit of kit , best M8's Dad lost all four fingers to a spindle moulder.

while going thru the saw dust looking for the missing ones he told the new YTS lad to go and phone for Ambulance before he keeled over :)

tried to sew em back on but only first one next to his thumb survived,he now has a grip like a lobster and complain's of Ghost finger .

apparently they itch but nothing there ?

Edited by Remimax

1 hour ago, Remimax said:

seems to be a common pattern here .

yep very dangerous bit of kit , best M8's Dad lost all four fingers to a spindle moulder.

while going thru the saw dust looking for the missing ones he told the new YTS lad to go and phone for Ambulance before he keeled over

tried to sew em back on but only first one next to his thumb survived,he now has a grip like a lobster and complain's of Ghost finger .

apparently they itch but nothing there ?

When I did mine I watched my lads faces at work as bloody was dripping all over the floor , they looked horrified 😂 . We use limiters which 100% saved my fingers / hand . It’s really common .

my lads sent me a picture of 2 almost complete nails on the machine bed with flesh. I told them to sweep it up lol.

Edited by team tractor

9 hours ago, bavarianbrit said:

At Humber Ltd cars prototype shop in Coventry in the 1960"s there were spindle blades embedded in the brickwork right up to their full depth, never forgot that one. Hate them.

That was the old style cutters now banned thank god . I’ve heard loads of stories like yours. 

16 hours ago, team tractor said:

That was the old style cutters now banned thank god . I’ve heard loads of stories like yours. 

I served my time as a cabinet maker and the spindle moulder was the only machine surrounded by a concrete block wall with an opening at either end to feed timber through many cutters embedded in the concrete blocks this is back when you used flat tool steel was used to grind your own without chip breakers or serrated blades to grip in the block  , thankfully they have moved on a lot since then (blades now lock in and cant come loose or fly out)  still got to look after your own digits 

7 hours ago, Saltings said:

I served my time as a cabinet maker and the spindle moulder was the only machine surrounded by a concrete block wall with an opening at either end to feed timber through many cutters embedded in the concrete blocks this is back when you used flat tool steel was used to grind your own without chip breakers or serrated blades to grip in the block  , thankfully they have moved on a lot since then (blades now lock in and cant come loose or fly out)  still got to look after your own digits 

I’m lucky to have mine rebuilt. 

8 hours ago, Saltings said:

A4D97274-5DA4-4747-982B-439058B0D59E.jpeg

You’d never know