scales

I use both the cheap digital £5 jobbies , and have an RCS beam scale too, if Im being anal down to the 1/10 of a grain Ill use both to check against each other.
The digital ones tend to drift, and the beam ones are fiddly.

But seriously, if youre loading .44, I would be just using the cheap digital.

3 hours ago, 1066 said:

I would recommend a reasonable beam scale - it'll last a lifetime, never let you down and as accurate as you'll ever need.

I use ( and have used for the past 25+ years) a RCBS 505 beam scale which has always been accurate, even when tested against electronic/digital scales.

44 minutes ago, steve_b_wales said:

I use ( and have used for the past 25+ years) a RCBS 505 beam scale which has always been accurate, even when tested against electronic/digital scales.

And it will still be going strong in another 25 years - and you'd be able to sell it then for what it cost you new. :)

6 hours ago, 1066 said:

I would recommend a reasonable beam scale - it'll last a lifetime, never let you down and as accurate as you'll ever need.

Exactly what I thought until this week.  I have an electronic set and a beam set.  I have been using the beam set for 35-40yrs and never really questioned the accuracy. Ran the loads through the chrono and everyhting seemed as I wanted. This week I was loading some 410s with SP3 and checked the load and set the beam. I then weighed out the indicated amount and checked it on the electronic. It was way out.  I checked the electronic with some test weights I have and it was spot on as near as a breath of wind.  I then used the weights on the beam scale and things where not good, so that old set have been binned.   I advise with any scales you buy make sure you have two or three measured check weights.

6 hours ago, 1066 said:

Not everybody can use beam scales, they are technically beyond some people to understand how they work. I have met a few when I was club secretary

that lack of understanding can be potentially very dangerous 

Edited by Vince Green

36 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Exactly what I thought until this week.  I have an electronic set and a beam set.  I have been using the beam set for 35-40yrs and never really questioned the accuracy. Ran the loads through the chrono and everyhting seemed as I wanted. This week I was loading some 410s with SP3 and checked the load and set the beam. I then weighed out the indicated amount and checked it on the electronic. It was way out.  I checked the electronic with some test weights I have and it was spot on as near as a breath of wind.  I then used the weights on the beam scale and things where not good, so that old set have been binned.   I advise with any scales you buy make sure you have two or three measured check weights.

A grain check weight set should be part of every ones loading kit, whether digital or beam. For a beam scale to suddenly start playing up can only be mechanical, usually a bit of dust on the bearings, absolutely nothing that a good clean couldn't fix.

4 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

Not everybody can use beam scales, they are technically beyond some people to understand how they work. I have met a few when I was club secretary

I guess you're right Vince - I know a chap who was complaining his digital was way out - turns out he was trying to weight powder in grams not grains.

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎30‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 10:24, 1066 said:

+1 on this use a scoop and then tickle some powder to finish off ,  beam scales are now fetching a lot of money ,a digital scales less than a tenner  I use both but rely on the beam scales 

I use a Lee Pro AutoDisk on my two progressives, one for 44Mag and one for 300 Blackout.

As a rough guide when adjusting powder weights for different bullets I throw 10 charges and do a check on the cheapo digital scales, dividing by 10 to get an average charge weight.  For checking individual charges I either use an RCBS 5-0-5 beam scale or a set of decent electronic scales, GemPro 250's.

For the much larger rifle loads I use a Hornady Auto powder thrower, very consistent, throws to within -0.0 to +0.1grains