installing cooker

ditchman

i wish to install an eye level oven in my next home..........do they just sit on the work top ?..........do they have to be installed differently as to a normal cooker

advice please ..........

oh yes ............what are your views on a ceramic hob as opposed to a solid metal hob plate.............

so many questions ........:lol:

You put them in a oven houseing  cabinet .ceramic hobs use less electric than solid hobs .or think about halengen hobs they work quicker 

most eye level ovens now just p,up in to the ring main scoket with 13 amp fuse 

Edited by Guest

14 minutes ago, Swinton said:

You put them in a oven houseing  cabinet .ceramic hobs use less electric than solid hobs .or think about halengen hobs they work quicker 

most eye level ovens now just p,up in to the ring main scoket with 13 amp fuse 

whats the difference twixt ceramic and halogen hobs.........

11 minutes ago, ditchman said:

whats the difference twixt ceramic and halogen hobs.........

Induction hobs use the magnetic side of things to heat the pan. In theory it’s cold when you touch it . I haven’t the guts with my luck . 

Ceramic hobs get hot  which heats the pan

induction heats sooooo quick it’s unbelievable. 

Edited by team tractor

3 hours ago, ditchman said:

i wish to install an eye level oven in my next home..........do they just sit on the work top ?..........do they have to be installed differently as to a normal cooker

advice please ..........

oh yes ............what are your views on a ceramic hob as opposed to a solid metal hob plate.............

so many questions ........

as said previously, custom cupboard for an built in eye level oven/grill

cottage I live in had a steel hob, a total pain in the behind, so bought a ceramic hob, difference is chalk and cheese, it is a lot quicker and cleaner, also so much easier to clean, just a wipe, any residue that gets burnt on, a razor blade and then a spray of wd40 and wipe it off, good as new, also now (new to me) there is a handy warning light for the still hot burners an excellent idea.

Induction hobs as said, are so fast heating up it`s amazing. Just need to have specially marked pans or steel pans as they are what are required to make the induction element work. Have used them for around 10 years now. Very easy to clean as they have glass tops.

The eye level grills just slot into a purpose made housing, no problems with those.

top advice lads ...cheers..:good:

really hacked off with steel hobs...they seem to waste sooo much lecky...slow to heat up....slow to re-act ....slow to cool down...........seems the way to go in my next abode .....we havnt got gas here ..thats why im asking....i did have halogen about 25 years ago ..butthe hob kept on burning out the elements.....so i said "stuff that"....never thought about them since...

cheers..

I don't know what ours is other than it is a glass top an the rings heat up very quickly and most important are controllable.  Had the double oven on which the hob sits for  20yrs now and only had to replace a couple of grill elements, simple job.   The only downside is they have some gismo which reduces the heat if the pan starts to overheat so difficult to get a serious rolling boil for jam/pickle making.  used to have a big double oven which went in an upright cabinet.  I am pretty certain you have the ability to build your own for whatever eye level you buy.  Not rocket science.

44 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

I don't know what ours is other than it is a glass top an the rings heat up very quickly and most important are controllable.  Had the double oven on which the hob sits for  20yrs now and only had to replace a couple of grill elements, simple job.   The only downside is they have some gismo which reduces the heat if the pan starts to overheat so difficult to get a serious rolling boil for jam/pickle making.  used to have a big double oven which went in an upright cabinet.  I am pretty certain you have the ability to build your own for whatever eye level you buy.  Not rocket science.

so i assume the eye level oven is the same as a normal one..........

Well ours was from the point of wiring. We just wired to the dedicated cooker switch/connection. From what was said above it sounds that new cookers(nearly thick fingered hooker there:lol:) may just plug into the standard wiring. Check that out thoroughly though.  Miss our eye level fitted double oven which had a grill inbetween the two. We could not find a similar unit when it finally died, so we purchased a floor mounted double rangemaster with glass five burner plus warmer plate hob. That has been brilliant but not like being able to look through the glass doors to see how things are cooking and easy access.

Doubt if I need to tell you, but make sure the unit is securely fixed to the wall and the oven is secure in the unit as you don't want it faling out when the door is opened.

Edited by Walker570

11 minutes ago, Kalahari said:

As an aside, have you thought of a gas hob? It does mean that you have heat when the electrity goes off.

David.

i would have gas every time.........not online here.........my mate who likes to cook has had his hobs an' stuff converted to propane...he has cylinders outside the kitchen window..........dont want that faffing about now....and it will depend on the property i move to...

9 minutes ago, oowee said:

Induction hob is the way to go unless you do lots of stir fry. It's very fast. You can also put a piece of kitchen roll under a frying pan to catch any splashes and throw it away when you have cooked. Very efficient and easy to clean.

so what does an induction hob do..........does it just pass thro the metal and cook the food or does it heat the metal of the pan...?

It heats the pan by exciting the molecules in the pan. A rapidly oscillating magnet induces a current in the pan which heats it up. Heat changes are instant. It induces heat in the pan but it does not heat the top of the hob. The hob will get hot from the hot pan sitting on it but it will not set fire to the paper. 

hello, many years ago i bought one of those single induction hob jobbies from China,  cost me all of a tenner (WOK included), changed the plug and works a treat, millions are used in China every day, Simon you need to check your pots and pans as some do not work with induction heat, 

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

10 hours ago, oowee said:

Induction hob is the way to go unless you do lots of stir fry. It's very fast. You can also put a piece of kitchen roll under a frying pan to catch any splashes and throw it away when you have cooked. Very efficient and easy to clean.

right ......done a bit of googling.......as oldypigeonpopper says i need a certain type of pan for the hob..........okay ..thats not going to break the bank and i wont need to change my oven wear which im very fond of as some of it was my mums............

cant seem to get the right information about "controlerbility"..........

QUESTION 

"can you control the heat easily.....will it simmer nicely and can i keep the temperature even to cook .....say a nice steak......are there the normal power settings ?..."

28 minutes ago, oowee said:

Yes. The power settings are instant. Very easy to get a good steak or simmer. Temperature is perfectly even. 

Why not get a demo from someone, see what you think. Nothing like trying it first. 

no...............i think that is the way to go..........i will get some nice pans for the job .........when the time comes thats what i will do............i can always have a couple of camping gas stoves in the cupboard for emergencies.........and i will have a nice modern gas heater as back up ...they come in nice colours now as well

cheers all

ditch

Hi ditchman 

iv got a induction hob 

now im a moron what had never cooked a thing until 2 years ago 

anyway there so easy to use and very controllable even I can use it 

I did have to get a set of pans though 🙄

also very instant up and down temperature so very economical 

hope this helps 

all the best 

of

1 hour ago, Old farrier said:

Hi ditchman 

iv got a induction hob 

now im a moron what had never cooked a thing until 2 years ago 

anyway there so easy to use and very controllable even I can use it 

I did have to get a set of pans though 🙄

also very instant up and down temperature so very economical 

hope this helps 

all the best 

of

cheers for the info :good:

On 28/07/2019 at 21:06, Walker570 said:

Well ours was from the point of wiring. We just wired to the dedicated cooker switch/connection. From what was said above it sounds that new cookers(nearly thick fingered hooker there) may just plug into the standard wiring. Check that out thoroughly though.  Miss our eye level fitted double oven which had a grill inbetween the two. We could not find a similar unit when it finally died, so we purchased a floor mounted double rangemaster with glass five burner plus warmer plate hob. That has been brilliant but not like being able to look through the glass doors to see how things are cooking and easy access.

Doubt if I need to tell you, but make sure the unit is securely fixed to the wall and the oven is secure in the unit as you don't want it faling out when the door is opened.

Most double ovens need to be wired in with 6mm twin & earth. The smaller single ovens some have plugs some still need hard wiring. I work for Whirlpool/Hotpoint & deliver & connect these daily.