Arrested without written permission?

old'un

Running low on cartridges I popped into a local-ish clay ground to pick up a thousand, whilst there I got speaking to one of the shoot marshals/instructors, he asked me what I wanted the cartridges for, I told him pigeon shooting, he came back at me saying…I hope you carry written proof from the land owner when shooting…no I replied, the only time I ask for a letters of permission is when I renew my tickets….sharp intake of air…well you are treading on thin ice mate as you can be arrested without it, I said, even if the land owner is standing next to me and tells the police he as given me permission….yep, he replied, the law changed a couple of years ago, you now need to carry written permission from every farmer you shoot for.

This is a first for me and I have not heard about this change in the law but he was adamant that he was correct, is he?? I have looked online and can find nothing relating to this.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Cannot see it myself as if it was a pheasant shooting syndicate would the  land occupier, have to write individual grants for each gun walking from different directions, incase they are approached by police.

Just impractical 

20 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

Apparantly any permission is not valid unless written in the blood of a unicorn! 😜

2 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

Obviously you have to write using a dragons claw and sign with your own blood 🤔😉 

I have both. :whistling:

Well I did think he was a bit of a jobs worth know-it-all mouthing off in front of some clay shooters who I was talking to, he was not a youngster, retired I think, he also said…its my job to know the law as I marshal/instruct people on gun handling, safety and the law, I said well I have every farmers phone number and they have mine so it’s just a phone call should I get questioned by the police….that wont wash now as the law changed about two years ago.

It did cross my mind with regards written permission for game shoots and clay grounds but didn’t think to put that to him at the time but I did leave him with a parting shot of…well mate I think you have got it wrong, he was not happy. :)

That’s a load of old none sense. Been shooting on my friends farms for over40 years ,never had written permission to do so . The man is a fool and I would tell him so .  The all important thing that matters is that you do have permission .i also have the nod of the head when my neighbours farmers friends have pigeon problems . Two members on hear help me with the pigeons and they they don’t have written permission either ,sure they have been introduced to my friend but they don’t have a written  Agreement signed by the farmer . Perhaps us old Norfolk boys do it a little bit different .

harnser

2 hours ago, old'un said:

Running low on cartridges I popped into a local-ish clay ground to pick up a thousand, whilst there I got speaking to one of the shoot marshals/instructors, he asked me what I wanted the cartridges for, I told him pigeon shooting, he came back at me saying…I hope you carry written proof from the land owner when shooting…no I replied, the only time I ask for a letters of permission is when I renew my tickets….sharp intake of air…well you are treading on thin ice mate as you can be arrested without it, I said, even if the land owner is standing next to me and tells the police he as given me permission….yep, he replied, the law changed a couple of years ago, you now need to carry written permission from every farmer you shoot for.

This is a first for me and I have not heard about this change in the law but he was adamant that he was correct, is he?? I have looked online and can find nothing relating to this.

Where did this Pillock work?

59 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

you know that know it all that stands behind you , and smugly announces to all bystanders ,  that you were miles behind that last clay , well thats the bloke that you were talking to dave .

Cheeky boy…I never miss behind. :whistling:

1 minute ago, walshie said:

Complete nonsense. Arrested for what? 

Well according to him, armed trespass.

17 minutes ago, Dougy said:

Did you leave the shop laughing

I'd have wet myself. 

There aren't many gun shop near you so that cuts it down a bit. 

I did let him know what I thought of his comments, in-fact it got a little heated at one point.

It was not a gun shop, it’s a clay shoot, I know the guy who runs/owns the clay shoot very well, he looks after me when I need some cartridges, I guess the nearest gun shops would be at Bromsgrove or maybe up the M5 to Sandwell Fields Sports at West Bromwich.

On my familys land, one of the freinds we let rough shoot said this to me around last Christmas. I told him that I wasn't aware of any particular law that said this - and I'm still not. I work for a large, and half decent law firm - and I admit, that after my primary search not bearing any fruit, I haven't given it much thought - but I'd be interested in knowing where this notion/rumour/et cetera, originated.

Edited by PeterHenry
Typo