Arrested without written permission?

old'un

He's talking a load rubbish.  No law has changed as we all know. 

These people are often found knocking about gun shops or clay stands with coffees in one hand and sausage rolls in the other and not a gun in sight.  I've noticed they get quite vocal should you dare to question them. This has provided me some amusement in the past. 

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well I help run a diy syndicate on Forestry Commission land. They require insurance proof from all guns but they do not write to each one with permission to shoot. I somehow think they would if it was required by law.

Some of my permissions are verbal, I hope the powers that  do not decide to change things and require every one in writing as it has been working well as it is all my lifetime.

He made himself look even dumber when old'un asked if you still needed a permission letter even with the landowner standing beside you and replied "yes." By that logic, anyone who shoots in their own field would need to write themselves a permission slip.

I've never had anyone ask me why I'm buying cartridges. Seems odd that he asked that.

My guess is he got his wires crossed, the law did change in 2017 on needing  authorisation in writing from land owner/ lease holder to lend a non licence owner a gun even if the said owner was present it still has to be in writing.  

However using  your own gun is not mentioned in that bit of legislation so non needed if you have a shotgun certificate.

A little knowledge is dangerous 2+2=7 springs to mind. 

Edited by timps

1 hour ago, Sha Bu Le said:

Old un, Possibly the final post on this thread, a piece of sound advice.

Where ever you go in this world never ever take an idiot with you.

You'll find one when you get there. .....Which you seem to have done unfortunately.

Don’t worry I did fight my corner and told him he was wrong and I had never heard such rubbish, which he did not like and walked away shaking his head saying well I have warned you.

That’s why when I got home I thought I would run it past a few on here, just to make sure I had not missed something and ended up with egg on my face.

13 hours ago, old'un said:

Don’t worry I did fight my corner and told him he was wrong and I had never heard such rubbish, which he did not like and walked away shaking his head saying well I have warned you.

That’s why when I got home I thought I would run it past a few on here, just to make sure I had not missed something and ended up with egg on my face.

All credit to you Old'Un however you should never argue with an idiot. They will confuse you with stupidity and win the argument. 

Seriously you stood up for what you believed was right and that's what matters. 

Went to a small clay ground last week to try a new gun 😊

had the proverbial expert scoring ☹️

If he said you’re behind that once he said it 60 times to the squad and proceed to tell me every one missed behind and it was almost impossible to miss in front with a shotgun 

to be honest I was shooting fairly well on the day 

so deliberately missed in front of the next one 

you’re behind it he acclimated 

next clay I could just see And shot so far in front I was almost into the next county 

you’re still behind it he shouted at me 

thats when he had it chapter and verse total muppet 😡

finished on 38 /50 and the last stand he never said a word 

I'm sure they have a look at me syndrome  

On 30/07/2019 at 10:58, Old farrier said:

Went to a small clay ground last week to try a new gun 😊

had the proverbial expert scoring ☹️

If he said you’re behind that once he said it 60 times to the squad and proceed to tell me every one missed behind and it was almost impossible to miss in front with a shotgun 

to be honest I was shooting fairly well on the day 

so deliberately missed in front of the next one 

you’re behind it he acclimated 

next clay I could just see And shot so far in front I was almost into the next county 

you’re still behind it he shouted at me 

thats when he had it chapter and verse total muppet 😡

finished on 38 /50 and the last stand he never said a word 

I'm sure they have a look at me syndrome  

Should have moved over and said 

"Go on mate you show me how to get on" 

Love em like that, just makes it all a fun kind of day. 

1 hour ago, Dougy said:

Should have moved over and said 

"Go on mate you show me how to get on" 

Love em like that, just makes it all a fun kind of day. 

It got better he later said could he have a go with my side by side as he’d never shot one 

so I said are you shooting 65 or 70 mm cartriges? 

His reply

it didn’t matter as he only shot 21 grams and you can fire them in anything 

no I didn’t let him have a go 🙄

31 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

That proves that just because they work in a shop, it doesn't mean they know anything about the products they are selling! 

I was in a chain of gun shops ( no naming) and one salesman told me was his first few weeks and had been a shoesalesman before and didnt go shooting!

COULD you be arrested, yes, given the right circumstances, under Sections 19 or 20 of the Firearms Act 1968.

Are you likely to be arrested if you do have permission to be there, whether written or not, no. Are you likely to be CHARGED with anything if you're there lawfully, almost definitely not.

If you got a police officer with a cob on, or you fail the 'attitude test' yes you could be arrested for armed tresspass if you cannot prove that you have authority to be on private land with a firearm. How do you prove you have permission to shoot on the land, you have a written document stating so. However this would usually take quite some provoaction of the officer for this to be the result, unless as said you were dealing with a right jobsworth.

A simple, "I haven't got a letter with me but i can get them on the phone if you like" would likely suffice 99% of the time.

This would obviously not be relevant/necessary to an organised game shoot/clay pigeon ground as they provide exemptions under different parts of the act/other acts.

23 minutes ago, Breastman said:

COULD you be arrested, yes, given the right circumstances, under Sections 19 or 20 of the Firearms Act 1968.

Are you likely to be arrested if you do have permission to be there, whether written or not, no. Are you likely to be CHARGED with anything if you're there lawfully, almost definitely not.

If you got a police officer with a cob on, or you fail the 'attitude test' yes you could be arrested for armed tresspass if you cannot prove that you have authority to be on private land with a firearm. How do you prove you have permission to shoot on the land, you have a written document stating so. However this would usually take quite some provoaction of the officer for this to be the result, unless as said you were dealing with a right jobsworth.

A simple, "I haven't got a letter with me but i can get them on the phone if you like" would likely suffice 99% of the time.

This would obviously not be relevant/necessary to an organised game shoot/clay pigeon ground as they provide exemptions under different parts of the act/other acts.

Would the police officer not require a reason, permission or a warrant to enter private land? Such as a reason to believe a crime has/was being committed?.........if the officer also decided to arrest the shooter, because although he/she had permission, he/she couldn't provide written permission, would he (the plod) not leave himself open to legal action for false arrest?