Eley VIP Steel with degradable wad-anyone stocking??

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/07/2019 at 17:13, Fuddster said:

Hi all,

I had a chat with the Eley rep at the Northern shooting about the new steel load with a biodegradable wad-Anyone seen them for sale yet?

Nothing JC site.

f.

Hiya fuddster, I was in york guns yesterday and they are stocking the Gamebore silver steel 32g 4’s bio wad £11 a box but they were currently out of stock!

On 02/08/2019 at 23:13, dodeer said:

Not available yet. I'd use them over anything else for wildfowl shooting as using plastic really gets to me.

Just spoke to Eley this morning, and they are now starting to go out to dealers. So will soon be available. I'm going to get some of the clay loads for snipe shooting, they should be spot on.

They use Euro sizes, so a 7 is actually 2.54mm so approaching a 6.

2 hours ago, stuartyboy said:

Curious as to the shot count of say 32 gram of no.4 steel compared to 32 gram of no.4 lead?

Guessing pellet count will be higher with steel as theres more pellets compared to lead by comparable weight?

You are looking at around a 30% increase in pellets.

Guest cookoff013
2 hours ago, stuartyboy said:

Curious as to the shot count of say 32 gram of no.4 steel compared to 32 gram of no.4 lead?

Guessing pellet count will be higher with steel as theres more pellets compared to lead by comparable weight?

been done a billion times. 

it can be easily researched. what isnt recognised enough, is shot weight comparison which is #4 shot lead vs #4 shot steel. 

the consensus of "go up 2 shotsizes" is to get over the density difference so the shotcount between 1oz is miniscule. 

but what time prove that increasing steel speeds 1300fps to 1500fps can prove useful. to maybe compensate steel poor ballistic co--efficient

if you wanted a general rule, go up 3 shotsizes, if buying factory.

if you are reloading exclusively, 32-36g of #2 at 1400fps for duck and maybe bbs for geese. 

Wad orignially developed in Spain with funding from the EU......

https://www.clay-shooting.com/features/shooting-without-trace/

https://ec.europa.eu/environment/eco-innovation/projects/en/projects/cartridge-wad

I also notice Rio are bringing out their Bluesteel as an Eco version with the same wad.

http://www.rioammo.com/en/rio_ammunition/products/hunting_cartridges/royal_eco_bluesteel#

Edited by Stonepark

57 minutes ago, Kalahari said:

In steel I wouldn't call #3 a foreshore goose load. There is little information on case size and load weight options either.

David.

I didn't mention geese. However, a well aimed shot with steel 3s will poleaxe a 40 yard pink.

3 hours ago, Kalahari said:

In steel I wouldn't call #3 a foreshore goose load. There is little information on case size and load weight options either.

David.

Depends on the Nut behind the Butt .

I'd like a £ for every Foreshore Goose I've cleanly killed with steel 3's.

Pattern and Penatration  kills  not one on its own.

On 15/08/2019 at 10:05, cardigun said:

Hi Perazzishot,  will they be publishing their reports ?  I would be most interested. 

The testing has been field testing on pigeons with a few high profile pigeon shooters being supplied. No mixed reports to date all very happy with kills at usual expected ranges and no notable differences in shot to kill ratios. The consensus being we don't have a lot to worry about when they get round to banning lead!

4 hours ago, Perazzishot said:

The testing has been field testing on pigeons with a few high profile pigeon shooters being supplied. No mixed reports to date all very happy with kills at usual expected ranges and no notable differences in shot to kill ratios. The consensus being we don't have a lot to worry about when they get round to banning lead!

Will make for some interesting high pheasant cartridges 36 g of 1 shot steel like we use for geese.

On 14/08/2019 at 07:52, Wilksy II said:

Hiya fuddster, I was in york guns yesterday and they are stocking the Gamebore silver steel 32g 4’s bio wad £11 a box but they were currently out of stock!

Cheers for that-late reply as just back from Spain.

Surprised to see so many cereals still standing driving back from LBA-but I saw there had been some storms locally. Best have a look about tomorrow.

f.

On 17/08/2019 at 17:09, figgy said:

Will make for some interesting high pheasant cartridges 36 g of 1 shot steel like we use for geese.

I've already used RC Hyperfast Technosteel and Eley Vip Steel on duck drives and brought down some good duck and also seen very good duck being brought down with them. The only complaint I have with them is that steel does not have the same initial shock thump on impact where it expands. You will see ducks fly 300-600 yards then just fall dead out the sky. When plucking them you will often find the steel shot has passed straight through them!