Eley VIP Steel with degradable wad-anyone stocking??

On ‎19‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 08:32, Perazzishot said:

I've already used RC Hyperfast Technosteel and Eley Vip Steel on duck drives and brought down some good duck and also seen very good duck being brought down with them. The only complaint I have with them is that steel does not have the same initial shock thump on impact where it expands. You will see ducks fly 300-600 yards then just fall dead out the sky. When plucking them you will often find the steel shot has passed straight through them!

Not that old chestnut again! Lead shot also passes through birds.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

bought a box of vip steel #3 as a temporary stop gap till i could reload a batch for duck myself.Good to 25 yards on teal for example --after that its flapper.Utter rubbish for the foreshore  so for gawds sake do not use on geese even close geese.Good for ponds or close mallard aye but  not for shoregunning.

On ‎19‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 14:36, bishop said:

bought a box of vip steel #3 as a temporary stop gap till i could reload a batch for duck myself.Good to 25 yards on teal for example --after that its flapper.Utter rubbish for the foreshore  so for gawds sake do not use on geese even close geese.Good for ponds or close mallard aye but  not for shoregunning.

I can't really agree with you on this. You sure it wasn't just poor shooting? The cartridges are the last thing I blame.

3 hours ago, motty said:

I can't really agree with you on this. You sure it wasn't just poor shooting? The cartridges are the last thing I blame.

Motty i see from your previous comment ,you have not  used the# 3 shot ,so really,you are not in a position to agree or disagree. Best try a box first .A  few fellas i know have tried them on duck making their opinions valid,lads  who like myself have been at this a very long time  and they do agree the #3  are wanting..They are fine for shorter distances.Over water you can really see how dire the patterning  is.I sure as hell would not use them on a goose.

Have recently brought some of the new VIP steel Pro ECO Game 12ga to try but have not had opportunity yet.

but I do  notice that the published velocity is low compared to other ELey steel cartridges like the lightning which I have used without issue.

these are published muzzle velocities

VIP steel  pro eco game  1279 fps

VIP steel 1377 fps

VIP steel lightning 1430 fps 

Which suggests their may be an issue with driving the wads to lightning speeds.

8 hours ago, rbrowning2 said:

Have recently brought some of the new VIP steel Pro ECO Game 12ga to try but have not had opportunity yet.

but I do  notice that the published velocity is low compared to other ELey steel cartridges like the lightning which I have used without issue.

these are published muzzle velocities

VIP steel  pro eco game  1279 fps

VIP steel 1377 fps

VIP steel lightning 1430 fps 

Which suggests their may be an issue with driving the wads to lightning speeds.

Speed is overrated!

Motty, if they were lead shot I would agree with you just not quite so certain given they are steel pellets, which will lose their velocity and energy very much quicker than lead. And their is a limit to how much bigger in size you can go or the pattern will be no use either.

hopefully fine for duck but as has been said i think if I was going for geese then I would take an alternative, just in case.

15 hours ago, motty said:

Speed is overrated!

Fast steel used simply for its own sake  does not always put a bird in the bag we all know theres a lot more to shooting than the cartridge  but if the added confidence instilled by its use improves a shooters mindset ,or the shorter lead distance improves his/her marksmanship then by all means fill yer boots i say and use fast cartridges.At the end of the day its each shooters own choice.

3 hours ago, bishop said:

Fast steel used simply for its own sake  does not always put a bird in the bag we all know theres a lot more to shooting than the cartridge  but if the added confidence instilled by its use improves a shooters mindset ,or the shorter lead distance improves his/her marksmanship then by all means fill yer boots i say and use fast cartridges.At the end of the day its each shooters own choice.

Possibly, but there is little difference between the above-mentioned 1279 and 1430 fps.