TSS shot data

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

25 minutes ago, widgeon man said:

Hi lads anyone loading this in 12ga? Got some 18wt tss in 9’s and not loaded before, just steel and hw13 but looking for 24-28-30 gram load in 12ga if anyone has any data they can share?? Particularly alliant steel or 381. Thanks

Brad i looked on Ballistic products ( sphero tungsten probably spelt wrong ) also having searched for data i found it was saw to use HW13 data. Using this information i loaded 12ga 36grm patterned very tight killed awesome BUT you do need a lot of Packers in bottom of the was even with CLBC good luck 

38 minutes ago, widgeon man said:

Thanks Boyd ( hope your well) and thanks to the rest of you. Very unclear on data for tss unfortunately, and an expert wanted to sell me data. Boyd I could load 36gram but seems a tad wasteful considering shot count with 9’s, so hoping for a 1oz load for the 12; but hard to find!

Bradley, as Boyd suggested, I basically adapted the load data for hw13. Indeed, a lot of packers are required with the small column height. I used 70mm cases for 30gm.

9 minutes ago, motty said:

Bradley, as Boyd suggested, I basically adapted the load data for hw13. Indeed, a lot of packers are required with the small column height. I used 70mm cases for 30gm.

Wayne have you tried putting a 20ga wad inside a 12ga wad ??????  Saves on loads of Packers.

Admittedly only one shot but i loaded a couple with this method and my Nephew killed a very tall foreshore Pink which was well and truly patterned

Edited by 6.5x55SE

35 minutes ago, 6.5x55SE said:

Wayne have you tried putting a 20ga wad inside a 12ga wad ??????  Saves on loads of Packers.

Admittedly only one shot but i loaded a couple with this method and my Nephew killed a very tall foreshore Pink which was well and truly patterned

I haven't tried that, but I had heard it being done. I may have to try it.

Alliants own Reloaders Guide is here,  but again no 1oz loads with Steel Powder.

https://www.alliantpowder.com/resources/default.aspx

The Lyman 5th edition has a 1oz HeaviShot Loading as follows:

Fio 2 3/4 case, fed 209a primer

34gr Steel  powder 2 3/4 TPS wad trimmed an 1/8 inch to fit, 1 no 20g 1/8 felt and 1 no 20g 1/4 felt both under shot,

mylar wrap with 15gr no47 buffer and 16g .03inch over hot card under crimp (seals buffer)

for 1345fps and 8400psi.

For 1 1/8  loading is identical except the following changes are 32.5gr powder and 18gr buffer for 1335 fps and 10100psi

Guest cookoff013

that tss will seriously cause damage.

the original tss data in 12gauge calleed for 2 nontoxic wads to be used together. 20gauge and a 12, tucked in. 

use without a protective wadcup will cause you problems instantly.

the only problem that might cause you issues. is a, not knowing what you are doing and using lead volumetric loadings with tss and burn through of black powder on nontoxic shotcup.

• 4 weeks later...

I can take geese at 30 yards with bismuth .just had a couple yesterday--but these guns have very little choke,if any  at all.40 Yards is a no go really,pattern all blown to hell .Using TSS will allow me to shoot out to 40/45  yards thus making flighting viable on all but sky scraper  days .Using bismuth would mean only low (ish)geese would be takeable humanely (30 yards max) As for cost.have you ever used a percussion gun?You will go thru far fewer  shots and be happy doing so as thats what it all about.Letting go half a dozen  barrels with 28g of TSS is going to cost me 15 quid maybe--but its going to give me a half dozen birds if i chose to do so.More than likely ,as usual, im happy with a pair.And for six quid.two in the bag and a lovely memorable black powder morning thats well worth the six quid .---fibre wads now available for steel/non toxic.Using a mylar wrap in these fibre wads should protect well enough

Edited by bishop

I cannot see anyone loading TSS  along the square load principle cookoff013.Im not following you when you say maybe the same shotcount per ounce????  I would have thought that black powder being relatively slow burning would be ideal for a dense material such as TSS  wt15

Edited by bishop

Guest cookoff013

say you take a lead volumetric loading scoop / measure- 1,1/8oz.

say you load TSS18 using the same measure / scoop. you will be dosing 55grams +.

Thats not cool.

My comment about the shot count per ounce.

those tss18 #9shot are so heavy that each one  have about the same weight as a lead #2 pellet

if you were to load up by weight of shot and 28gram was your goal, you would be putting about 50 pieces of tss18  #9shot. 

i hope i am extremely clear now. 

Edited by cookoff013

I did type that its the 15wt TSS  i am hoping to use.Its not quite as dense as the 18wt .219 #7 TSS  15g/cc pellets in a 28g load.Compared to the 295 #7 lead at 11g/cc. My apologies,perhaps its  namesake causes confusion.Looking at this table its halfway down the road to the 18wt TSS  from lead shot i suppose.As i mentioned i cannot see anyone trying to load TSS or hevishot using the same volumetric black powder  measuring tools they would use for lead shot, unless they had an incredible limited grasp on reloading.Not something i d consider doing myself anyroads.  P.S LEAD #2 pellet weighs about 4.37 grains or 283mg.A single TSS18 #9 weight is 75.4 mg bit more than a 3:1 ratio there.Actually 3.75:1, Very nearly a 4:1 ratio.Not really about the same weight at all .TSS-pellet-count-per-ounce

Edited by bishop

I would try https://www.tungstensupershots.com to get some info

Hal (Hawglips) is a mod there and you can get TSS and load data off him as well as some recipe already used in US for 12 ga

I got some data off Hal for 20 ga but is all with Federal Hulls , so, need to re-adjust once it gets shipped

the other thing I would suggest is duplexing with steel; I spoke with some folks in US to help me work out some 1oz steel/TSS duplex for my 20 bore; from these discussions, what i gathered is that you should replace some of the steel with the exact weight of TSS and some spacers to make up the difference (i.e. spacers in wad, TSS then Steel).  According to some knowledgable source the rule of thimb with duplexing is: "you can take a steel recipe and use some TSS in the load as long as you don't go over the total payload weight"

I found this sticky quite rich of informations: https://www.tungstensupershots.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=56 

I have not tested these theories (but do believe the people who advoate these) but don't take it for granted and test before you shoot :) 

Cheers,

Edited by Continental Shooter

.I have patterned the 1oz TSS load through my 12 and at 50 yards its slightly patchy --but still a goose killer at that range for sure.60 grains of 777 and the #7 pellets are right through the piece of  board.7 pellets in the 10 " bull i pencilled on the 30" circle.Some pellets stuck in groups  here and there.I had to cut the bio wads down.Packing them with 20g wads as a cup filler does not work out.They are too rigid and will not pass into the muzzle  as this gun is actually close to a 13 guage.I dont think its too much powder--far from it!.Could be the wads.I noticed one spent wad had just one of the petals folded right down 180 degrees .I think maybe the splits are too deep .maybe split only 1/2 way would work better.I dunno as yet.But at 30-50 yards they are  going to be lethal goose killing loads and increase the  lethal and humane range of this percussion pedersoli by another  20 yards .Good enough for flighting now--and thats exactly what i was wanting.Use bismuth if they be 30 yards or closer and the TSS if they are up there.  The gaps in the pattern,the clumps of pellets--opinions most welcome  on tjhis topic.Cookoff013  what do you reckon?Powder is reduced by the 15% they advise to simulate black but still packs  a big wallop  for sure.Got to be the wads i feel.Inside the base of the wad  the shot column might  be sat at angle due to the one or two 20g overshot card wads i do put in sitting at an angle over the rough bio wads interior  base

Edited by bishop