Butterflies !

Robertt

There was a report last week that thousands of these butterflies where making their way north through France. Sounds like they arrived.  It is about 4yrs since we last had a large number here in the Midlands.  Our buddlier was overed in peacock and red admirals today so it looks like a bumper year for butterflies. I have seen lots of various little brown jobs in the woodland this week as well. Meadow browns, speckled woods and a few very small ones, probably small coppers, plus orange tips and brimstones. Yes, I think it will be a good year.  No , I don't think global warming as these floods of painted ladies occur every few years.  No doubt the activists will use it as a reason.

Edited by Walker570

9 hours ago, Robertt said:

Last decade or so have been underwhelmed by the amount of Butterflies on my magnificent Buddlier.

This morning was uplifted by the fabulous sight of 30+ Painted Ladies, feet away from my kitchen window.

Whats going on ?

Used to see a lot of painted ladies Doon the Quay on Tyneside.

On 30/07/2019 at 21:23, Robertt said:

Last decade or so have been underwhelmed by the amount of Butterflies on my magnificent Buddlier.

This morning was uplifted by the fabulous sight of 30+ Painted Ladies, feet away from my kitchen window.

Whats going on ?

Just got here on their migration from the Atlas Mountains in Tunisia. It was thought the the Monarch butterfly of North America had the longest insect migration, but it turns out to be the Painted Lady. I watched a documentary about it only recently.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07yqfkq

https://www.york.ac.uk/news-and-events/features/painted-lady-migration/

http://www.butterflymigration.org/

7 hours ago, FOXHUNTER1 said:

Out this morning and saw thousands of painted ladies on the thistles , a fantastic sight 😁

no pictures? They showed something on the news this morning, tall stemmed flowers blue golf ball sized , covered in painted ladies 

The Painted Ladies have arrived in Leicestershire. Sharing the budliea bush with commas, small tortoishells, red admirals, peaocks and a late arrival ..brimstone. Just one orange tip but more of those down in the wood.  Must have been thrity or forty all told on the bush as soon as the sun came out.

28 minutes ago, Ratmanwan said:

Hundreds seen here on my dog walk this morning, mainly gatekeepers, peacock's, ringlets and a few painted lady's. Not seen a red admiral for years. Swadlincote, south Derbyshire. 

Red Admirals.   Only about 10 miles from you over the M42 and we have a half dozen coming daily on the flowers.  They love nettles and we have a lot of those in our wood which may be the reason.

Edited by Walker570

I was at my caravan this morning, as soon as the sun came around there were butterflies everywhere on the buddleia, also noticed a lot while we were out, I have been looking for them though, five or six different types at least.

Also noticed a lot of moths lately when I'm driving, a couple of huge ones exploded on my windscreen last week and lots in the headlights. As well as lots of dead bugs on the front of the car every week.

We've got a dwarf buddlier on the edge of our patio and this year it is alive with painted ladies, commas, peacocks, admirals and assorted frittilarys including a couple of brief sightings of butterflies not seen before in our garden. So many they are landing on us, our dogs (terrier has killed and eaten a few!) and our cars. My silver car had a half dozen peacocks on the bonnet. You never have a camera when you need one. Deadheading buddlier this week as another wave of our little friends expected in a few weeks I read.