most expensive pigeon shooting

quentyn

i was surprised today to get an email advertising guided pigeon shooting for £1000 per day

is that the most expensive or has someone seen higher ? given the expenses that game shooting has ( beaters, feed, pest control, game keeper) v's the costs that a pigeon guide has - how on earth do people justify these costs ?

Most the farmers charge 50-75$ opening day and 25$ the rest of the season here.  But we do have special events where guys take live dove and throw them at your gun.  They can be pricey but it’s normally for charity or fund raising.  I only hunt free public land unless I’m invited to a fundraiser or trip with me friends. 

I got the same email it's no joke, the avarage it says is 238 a day and it says the following ...

The cost of a days shooting with us is £1000 per gun per day - however we align the success of the day with cartridges fired not bag and offer a refund of £3.35 per cartridge not fired up to a total of £1000.Min take out fee £250.

Edited by Rob525

18 minutes ago, Rob525 said:

I got the same email it's no joke, the avarage it says is 238 a day and it says the following ...

The cost of a days shooting with us is £1000 per gun per day - however we align the success of the day with cartridges fired not bag and offer a refund of £3.35 per cartridge not fired up to a total of £1000.Min take out fee £250.

You lads should name and shame who’s offering it!

3 hours ago, NoBodyImportant said:

Most the farmers charge 50-75$ opening day and 25$ the rest of the season here.  But we do have special events where guys take live dove and throw them at your gun.  They can be pricey but it’s normally for charity or fund raising.  I only hunt free public land unless I’m invited to a fundraiser or trip with me friends. 

Live Dove, that was banned way back in the 1920's here. do you have favoured guns,  I understand live pigeon guns were heavier,  longer chambered in the old days,  

I worked at the Shooting venue in Woolwich during the Olympics in 2012 and became pally with a Jordanian Royal. We chatted about our favourite type of shooting and when i mentioned that i loved shooting Pigeon on the airfield at work he said he'd fly over in his jet and join me and i could pop over to Argentina and shoot doves with him!

He seemed a bit offended when i declined and then i had to explain that no one has landed at Catterick Airfield for about 40 years and that 'popping' over to Argentina was probably a bit beyond my budget!

1 hour ago, islandgun said:

Live Dove, that was banned way back in the 1920's here. do you have favoured guns,  I understand live pigeon guns were heavier,  longer chambered in the old days,  

Honestly,  I always use my old mossburg 930 auto.  Every year I buy a new Dove gun but the opening day I grab the 930 auto.  I love short heavy over unders for clays and do well.  But I keep going to the 930.  It’s a 11 shot but we have to block it to 3 shells for dove.  24in barrel with fiber front sight.  We can hunt pigeon and I do but we don’t have enough around my area to make a trip out.  We just hit them while we are out hunting something else.  

Edited by NoBodyImportant

8 hours ago, NoBodyImportant said:

But we do have special events where guys take live dove and throw them at your gun.  They can be pricey but it’s normally for charity or fund raising. 

Would love to see Mr Packhams face if we did that!

5 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

You lads should name and shame who’s offering it!

Why name and shame? If you look it another way guys that spend 000's on days pheasant shooting where the bag is say 450 across 9 guns, may see this as good value, plus how many miles does the guide drive, finding the birds and making sure the guns get the best chance to make the numbers, it all adds to the cost

3 hours ago, Wingman said:

Would love to see Mr Packhams face if we did that!

I hunted my whole life but I not really sure how I feel about it.  They build a fort with hay bales in a field.  Then you have guys in the fort releasing pigeon/ dove from a cage.  The rich people stand on their pegs which completely circle the release point.  It’s raises lots of money and the meat is supposedly never waisted.  So I recon it’s no worse then buying chicken at a store.  I would attend them if I was rich but I wouldn’t call it hunting.  

13 hours ago, button said:

Why name and shame? If you look it another way guys that spend 000's on days pheasant shooting where the bag is say 450 across 9 guns, may see this as good value, plus how many miles does the guide drive, finding the birds and making sure the guns get the best chance to make the numbers, it all adds to the cost

Not sure you can compare this to driven shooting. Think of the costs involved, a gamekeeper, accommodation, buying poults or day olds feed, fuel, beaters, and time there is no comparison. A pigeon guide will drive around to find the birds and advertising. Simplistic in both cases but still chalk and cheese.

£2500 I can fly to South Africa shoot at Speckled Pigeon an incredible sporting bird, 6 days shooting all inclusive in a luxury lodge including flights. I know where I am spending my money. 

3 hours ago, rimfire4969 said:

Not sure you can compare this to driven shooting. Think of the costs involved, a gamekeeper, accommodation, buying poults or day olds feed, fuel, beaters, and time there is no comparison. A pigeon guide will drive around to find the birds and advertising. Simplistic in both cases but still chalk and cheese.

£2500 I can fly to South Africa shoot at Speckled Pigeon an incredible sporting bird, 6 days shooting all inclusive in a luxury lodge including flights. I know where I am spending my money. 

I would disagree, part of what you are paying for is the guides expertise, if it was so easy we would be all shooting bags of 200+ every time we go out

Fully appreciate what you say about where you would spend your money but value for money is percieved by the individual, but what I was getting at, a big earner who enjoys their shooting and is used to pay 000's, they may see this as good value

16 minutes ago, button said:

I would disagree, part of what you are paying for is the guides expertise, if it was so easy we would be all shooting bags of 200+ every time we go out

Fully appreciate what you say about where you would spend your money but value for money is percieved by the individual, but what I was getting at, a big earner who enjoys their shooting and is used to pay 000's, they may see this as good value

I know of a few guys who pay £350 per day for good pigeon shooting where they use a guide and get bags of 100+.

Not everyone can afford it or wants to do it but choice of the individual. 

Not wishing to open a can of worms here, but with reference to the great deal of discussion about the terms of general licence recently.

Is it actually legal to charge (or pay)  for pigeon shooting? As far as I know, you can't shoot pigeons for sport (yes/no?) 

Edited by Vince Green

1 minute ago, Vince Green said:

Not wishing to open a can of worms here, but with reference to the great deal of discussion about the general licence recently.

Is it actually legal to charge (or pay)  for pigeon shooting?

Paying the guide for his time and land and equipment.

49 minutes ago, oowee said:

For some good shooting why not. You pay your money and make your choice. It does make South Africa at £340 a day (6 days) including flights and parking an even better bargain. 

SA is very good value for people. I used top pay £3500 per driven Boar trip to go on and now i spend 8 days in Limpopo relaxing i nthe sun, with luxury lodge, drinks and happy people hunting and shooting.