vegetarian question

islandgun

We eat quite a bit of red meat. I shoot a few deer a year, not as many as I'd like! And we substitute beef for venison. Although I am a touch extravagant as I cut my steaks at 16oz instead of child portions 8oz. We also kill our own sheep so we have a shocking amount of lamb and mutton, it scares me how expensive it is in the supermarket! We usually have a few pigs every 18 months or so and I like to have a few cob chickens knocking around either alive or frozen. So we eat a fair bit of meat. But it's all good quality, free range, semi organic, grass fed, chemical free etc.

Red meat probably does have some negative health connotations but I think that's more to do with the chemicals used in the production whether that's whilst its alive or once it's dead. Preservatives probably have a lot to answer for, smoking or salting from times of old doesn't happen any more itsnall chemically based.

As for making your bum bleed, depending on what meat it is its better for it to be dead and detached from its horns/antlers before you try and cook it.

6 minutes ago, Benthejockey said:

We eat quite a bit of red meat. I shoot a few deer a year, not as many as I'd like! And we substitute beef for venison. Although I am a touch extravagant as I cut my steaks at 16oz instead of child portions 8oz. We also kill our own sheep so we have a shocking amount of lamb and mutton, it scares me how expensive it is in the supermarket! We usually have a few pigs every 18 months or so and I like to have a few cob chickens knocking around either alive or frozen. So we eat a fair bit of meat. But it's all good quality, free range, semi organic, grass fed, chemical free etc.

Red meat probably does have some negative health connotations but I think that's more to do with the chemicals used in the production whether that's whilst its alive or once it's dead. Preservatives probably have a lot to answer for, smoking or salting from times of old doesn't happen any more itsnall chemically based.

As for making your bum bleed, depending on what meat it is its better for it to be dead and detached from its horns/antlers before you try and cook it.

I bet your BBQs are popular.

4 hours ago, Davyo said:

Red meat makes my bum bleed!

See a doctor, or don't eat red meat, maybe both.. 

4 hours ago, Walker570 said:

House sparrow pie was a regular mid summer supper back in the early 50s. 

Back in the early 60s, I remember father taking the shotgun to the rick yard. 1 shot took 14 sparrows. Mother had them on the table for supper served in a huge pan. Nothing went to waste.

9 hours ago, Down South said:

Back in the early 60s, I remember father taking the shotgun to the rick yard. 1 shot took 14 sparrows. Mother had them on the table for supper served in a huge pan. Nothing went to waste.

Can you remember what they tasted like? I imagine they were oily for some reason. 

I eat all meats inc game, fish, chicken, seafood etc.and almost all meat products (pate, salamis etc.).  I don't eat eggs - but that is because they don't agree with me and I go very lightly on the seafood, kidneys, liver etc as they can trigger my gout.

However, I tend to eat quite small portions of meat because I love the flavour, but as I have got older, too much can be very 'heavy'.  A bit of meat, good meat gravy and a large selection of home cooked veggies make a good meal for me.  I also love a salad with some cold meat, cold freshwater fish and/or cheese.

20 hours ago, islandgun said:

This question came up the other day. As vegetarians eat eggs milk etc,  could they also enjoy a quick bit of blood letting from a passing yak without guilt ? .or is it all a load of - -- - - - -s

Going back to the original, interesting question, most veggies eat eggs milk and cheese, would blood from a living animal come into that class, as the animal hasn't given it's life to provide it?

I don't know the answer, It depends on your reason for being a vegetarian, if it's about not killing animals it must be OK. I can say that this vegetarian will not be partaking :)

I did see a TV program where the presenter went to live with some Massai tribes people who's regular diet includes cow's blood tapped off from a vein in it's neck. The presenter had to bleed a cow, mix the blood with milk and drink it. I watched with morbid curiosity as he described the experience, the worst bit for me was that the blood starts to congeal and you have to deal with the chewy bits too - eat up your blood clots or you'll get no pudding!

15 minutes ago, martinj said:

Going back to the original, interesting question, most veggies eat eggs milk and cheese, would blood from a living animal come into that class, as the animal hasn't given it's life to provide it?

I don't know the answer, It depends on your reason for being a vegetarian, if it's about not killing animals it must be OK. I can say that this vegetarian will not be partaking

I did see a TV program where the presenter went to live with some Massai tribes people who's regular diet includes cow's blood tapped off from a vein in it's neck. The presenter had to bleed a cow, mix the blood with milk and drink it. I watched with morbid curiosity as he described the experience, the worst bit for me was that the blood starts to congeal and you have to deal with the chewy bits too - eat up your blood clots or you'll get no pudding!

That was ex Marine, Bruce Parry.

9 hours ago, Penelope said:

That was ex Marine, Bruce Parry.

I thought it was Gordon Buchanan? On his living with tribes series?

The Mongols took blood from their mounts when they were pushed but didn't do it as a normal thing from what I've read?

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2012/10/28/163835175/the-truth-about-nepals-blood-drinking-festivals?t=1564690825369

think they enjoy a bit of a Yak fest

Seems as Buddhist's they dont eat meat but sometimes accidentally they might over bleed a Yak and have to eat the evidence.😉

Edited by islandgun

13 hours ago, Mice! said:

I thought it was Gordon Buchanan? On his living with tribes series?

The Mongols took blood from their mounts when they were pushed but didn't do it as a normal thing from what I've read?

Could have been Gordon, too. They have both done similar type programmes. As an aside, out of the current crop of 'wildlife' presenters, he is about the only one I can stomach now.