RIAT 2019 - A Few Aircraft Pictures

TIGHTCHOKE

Can’t have a plane thread without the F22. Hands down the sexiest plane ever built.  I saw one take off and go straight vertical out of sight.  

15FFFCFD-E691-428D-A26C-3ED13668A6F4.jpeg

Great pictures, that German tornado looks good in that paint. 

2 hours ago, hedge said:

Lovely pics. Can't believe the Phantom is still flying. That's a Viet nam era warbird.

I did RIAT about 3 years ago and enjoyed it. I also really enjoy Flying Legends at Duxford. No jets but lots of lovely sights, sounds and smells.

Have you ever seen a phantom up close?  They look like someone built them in a garage.  Literally pop riveted together like a dirt track race car.  Overlapping panels and all. 

2 hours ago, RockySpears said:

(hence the lift as the plane is "pushed" into the low pressure air by the high pressure air below)

Would agree with most of what you say, apart from this bit……  The top of the wing is shaped to cause low pressure which in itself generates lift.  Both + & - pressures lift a plane.

KB1,

Thought that is what I said really;  or meant anyway.  The faster airflow (faster due to aerofoil geometry) over the aerofoil causes low pressure above the aerofoil and so the high pressure "pushes" the wing up, or the low pressure "sucks" the wing up.

Still great pics,

RS

3 minutes ago, RockySpears said:

KB1,

Thought that is what I said really;  or meant anyway.  The faster airflow (faster due to aerofoil geometry) over the aerofoil causes low pressure above the aerofoil and so the high pressure "pushes" the wing up, or the low pressure "sucks" the wing up.

Still great pics,

RS

Strange thing, aerodynamics…..  physicists still argue about it to this day🙄  When I used to fly, I was taught Bernoulie's law, and these days that is somewhat scorned on, as Newton's law is offered as a preference.  Truth is they both work, depending on numerous factors……  Now that I'm in structural engineering, I find that Bernoulie's law is still favoured for calculating negative pressure effects on buildings…..

YES, they are great pics👍  Nice to see a topic of such interest…..

5 hours ago, figgy said:

Son used to have some sigma lenses, said they were ok and cheaper than Nikon ones.

Don't some lenses have image stabilization?

Yes many lenses have IS, but it uses battery power and slows the focusing speed so is turned off on mine.

To Nobodyimportant, here is one of my F22 shots from a couple of years ago!

IMG_1786a.jpg

23 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Yes many lenses have IS, but it uses battery power and slows the focusing speed so is turned off on mine.

To Nobodyimportant, here is one of my F22 shots from a couple of years ago!

IMG_1786a.jpg

AWESOME photo!!!!!  I'm nicking that one🤪

7 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I am more than happy with that, we call the effect "Jelly Air" and it is fun to catch.:good:

It's amazing how you've got so many things in focus at the same time……   It's now my wallpaper on my laptop👍

1 minute ago, grrclark said:

Great pics Dave, nice to be able to indulge in a real passion

Hi Mate, it is my annual pilgrimage and I often take people along for the ride.

This year I took a 72 year old plane enthusiast and showed him some places he has never been before, he got some cracking shots too. While it is raining i might just post a couple more.

Here are a couple more, British Airways currently have 3 of their fleet painted up in historic schemes. This Boeing 747 is painted to represent the first Jumbo that was operated By British Overseas Aircraft Corporation, a company that was evntually merged in to British Airways. The Red arrows made 2 passes in formation and in one shot you can see Red 10 flying a photgrapher around to captue the uniqe occaision.

IMG_7151.jpg

IMG_7240.jpg

IMG_7250.jpg