How's the harvest going?

aga man

5 minutes ago, aga man said:

Just wondering how the harvest is going for everyone, many acres of winter barley and rape still standing here and it's raining as I type. Certainly not the norm for the start of August.

All our Winter Barley is safely in store , rape is now been started on but the weather has put paid to any cutting today , although we haven't had as much rain today as predicted , last year we done 17 days non stop from the 11 th of July , this year could linger on for a few weeks if we don't get any settled weather , on a average year we are normally done around the bank holiday in August .

spoke to my farmer mate today..........all the barley and rape are harvested...in a few days the wheat will start........he turned the stubble on the barley a few days ago and today he has direct drilled the new crop.......he did this last year and as a result the crop was more tolerant to lack of rain to to the subsoil being left intact and not allowed to evapourate by deep cultivating and ploughing...

worked very well....when the crop stated to grow it looked very thick and had tillered well.............

29 minutes ago, aga man said:

Just wondering how the harvest is going for everyone, many acres of winter barley and rape still standing here and it's raining as I type. Certainly not the norm for the start of August.

one farmer started  did about 4 passes on a field of barley then stopped due to rain other than that all standing rape, wheat, barley 

I have loads of barley and rape stubbles to choose from. Bags have been 47, 37 and 73 over the last few days. I have many options, but hopefully will have picked a good one for tomorrow.

Still a few fields of rape to be cut in good areas, so much watching and waiting still to do.

Still waiting for my first harvest ton, this year.

Most of the rape is in around here and now the stubbles all cultivated. Very short window to shoot but hoping to get out today on the cultivated (disced) rape as still some pigeon activity. The pigeons had turned onto the rape stubble from the triticale stubble (not being cultivated until next week) but have not returned to the triticale. Once on rape stubble, they seem to be hooked even though it's now been cultivated so still finding the seed, thankfully.

Wheat has just been started so hopefully stubbles will be left a little longer, to be direct drilled with rape.

Much interest currently being shown on the standing beans, although previously has proved disappointing once cut, despite a liberal scattering of beans on the surface. We shall have to wait and see this year.

The saving grace however should be the maize being grown for biofuel which once cut, provides good shooting well into the direct drilled (normally wheat) crop.

OB

The odd field down round Beverley, started the rape at lec on tues but got rained off, small field of rape at beswick cut, nothing down on my patch and now not likely to be for a good week or more

edit; and apparently they’re lifting peas at lelley, on bbc news!

Edited by Wilksy II

hello, it just goes to show how farming is having to cope with the changing weather patterns, in the Vale some have managed to get the OSR cut while others have stopped due to a few showers, same for barley, it needs a few weeks of good weather this August to finish this years Harvest, then the Balers will be out in force then drill next years crop, a never ending circle 

12 hours ago, motty said:

I have loads of barley and rape stubbles to choose from. Bags have been 47, 37 and 73 over the last few days. I have many options, but hopefully will have picked a good one for tomorrow.

Still a few fields of rape to be cut in good areas, so much watching and waiting still to do.

Still waiting for my first harvest ton, this year.

Same down here , we must have some of your pigeons as we have got hundreds that more or less turned up overnight , me and Lakeside 1000 shot close on a 100 on Wednesday afternoon on some dried Peas and didn't make a dent in the numbers seen , tomorrow we will have another go and I dare say the numbers will about the same , on the other side of the river are some rape fields and the telegraph wires are laden down with pigeons , this will easily produce good numbers when they get the chance to cut it .

Rape is all done for me, one big field of wheat partially cut, barley still standing, it's very dry so must be close to cutting. Had a day off on Monday, had about 5 and half hours on rape stubble, got 37 for 50 shots😀👍 well happy, but almost no birds around anywhere.

11 minutes ago, getthegat said:

but almost no birds around anywhere.

Very similar here now most of the rape and barley down but proving tricky to find any decent flight lines over quite an area. i'm sure it will change in the coming days but I fear the wet weather tomorrow will stop the harvest and turn the farmers attention to ripping up the stubbles.

loads of birds around here now..................

my farmer mate has cut ........baled........lightly cultivated........and direct drilled................its his new mode of doing things now...he started last year and it worked very well.......

what i have noticed ...is there is a lot of trash still on the surface....as it hasnt been ploughed...and i think there is a window where there will be germination of the drilled crop and also pickings from the previous crop.........the fields ...(at least to me) look a lot more "interesting"

anyway it seems to be attracting birds everyday now.......

Most is cut round here still some spring barley to go very hard to find birds in any number, all the butterfly shooters are f-----g everything up and really getting up my nose!!!!!!!!!!  

Farmer was spraying roundup on 5 fields yesterday to kill the weeds and black grass, all going to be direct drilled rape. Guess how many butterfly boys will be protecting this through the winter?  🤬