Good to See the RAF Chinooks in Action Again

TIGHTCHOKE

The downdraught and blade slap noises are brilliant in small or occasional doses, and the smell of the exhaust too if you ever get that close.

I'd have thought the ground and air resonance in that place at a time when the integrity of the dam is such a concern might have been 'unsettling'.

6 minutes ago, Dave-G said:

The downdraught and blade slap noises are brilliant in small or occasional doses, and the smell of the exhaust too if you ever get that close.

I'd have thought the ground and air resonance in that place at a time when the integrity of the dam is such a concern might have been 'unsettling'.

Yes it is great, but look at that photograph and work out how much clearance between the blades and the top of the safety rail over the dam!

4 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Yes it is great, but look at that photograph and work out how much clearance between the blades and the top of the safety rail over the dam!

It looks close but there  is  Loads of room !! .

There is an extra ground spotter as well as the normal crew hanging out the windows .

My mate has a photo somewhere of me acting as a Marshal on an exercise holding two Chinooks hovering while directing another away from the drop zone where he had dropped an underslung bridge pallet, amazing noise and downdraught from them.
Have also been harnessed up and stood on the rear ramp looking out as it flew low across the falklands better than any rollercoaster ride.

Here's a pic of one that was part of an exercise a couple of years ago down by me, please excuse the watermark it was on my old website, and i am at work so can't get the one with no watermark.

31417765491_e261d2fd97_o.jpg

I live very close to RAF Northolt and the Chinooks fly over us regularly. I always stop to watch them.

Years ago the Lancaster used to fly in and out most weekends in the summer, along with several other old planes doing airshows. The Lanc was the most memorable, it practically took the chimney pots off my mum and dad's house it came over that low. Now that really did make the windows rattle 

1 minute ago, Vince Green said:

I live very close to RAF Northolt and the Chinooks fly over us regularly. I always stop to watch them.

Years ago the Lancaster used to fly in and out most weekends in the summer, along with several other old planes doing airshows. The Lanc was the most memorable, it practically took the chimney pots off my mum and dad's house it came over that low. Now that really did make the windows rattle 

Have never seen a Lancaster fly, would love it.
My old boss'es Dad was a Rear Gunner on Lancasters in the war, huge respect to all that flew in them.

Going slightly off topic....

If you like the Lanc get yourself over to East Kirby museum in Lincs. They do taxi runs / rides of a Lanc. If you can't afford to get a ride inside, just stand the 20ft from the wing tips and watch the back fins wobble when the pilot pushes the throttles whilst braked!!

They have a really good museum there as well - and it's never too busy either.

Plus - they now have a mozzie that they're prepping to run.

Bliss - 6 Rolls Royce Merlins in unison!

14 minutes ago, gsalmons said:

Going slightly off topic....

If you like the Lanc get yourself over to East Kirby museum in Lincs. They do taxi runs / rides of a Lanc. If you can't afford to get a ride inside, just stand the 20ft from the wing tips and watch the back fins wobble when the pilot pushes the throttles whilst braked!!

They have a really good museum there as well - and it's never too busy either.

Plus - they now have a mozzie that they're prepping to run.

Bliss - 6 Rolls Royce Merlins in unison!

Thats what my old boss was given as a birthday present a ride in the Lanc, never seen him smile so much lol.

5 hours ago, welsh1 said:

My old boss'es Dad was a Rear Gunner on Lancasters in the war, huge respect to all that flew in them.

As was my dad.. extraordinary thing to do... How I wish I had had the decency to sit down and have a good chat with him, instead of being the little s+++ that i was/am..😞

We get all sorts round my way - near Sywell and Old Warden, not far from Duxford, plus the US airbases dotted around.

I see Spitfires and Hurricanes every other day in summer.  Less often the Lanc, a B17, a DeHavilland Rapide,  sometimes Fokker Dr1s (including Bruce Dickinson's), Dakotas, a Lysander, a Me109, a Bristol F.2, Mustang, Thunderbolt, then the more modern American stuff like V22 Ospreys etc. 

Had a couple of B1 Lancers go over a couple of years ago and had to look twice to check they werent Tu-160 BLACKJACKs that had really messed up their navigation that day. Those were here for an airshow.

9 hours ago, welsh1 said:

East Kirkby has a Lancaster which taxies the runway may be flying not sure  cracking air show  August / September time  well worth a visit 

Really enjoyed watching them drop the bags of aggregate, not pin point accuracy, but very good especially when in close proximity to the dam wall.

We refuelled a Sea King during the Falklands from our ship, which "can't refuel them" and the pilot managed to keep one wheel on the flight deck while the ship pitched about on the south Atlantic and he also had to ensure the blades didn't hit the hangar roof guard rails! It takes a certain kind of skill and courage to do that sort of thing.

At Knobscreek machine gun festival in Kentucky there was a Huey that was giving rides.  We talked with the pilot for about a hour during his break and helicopter refuel.  When we got in we was all one group of guys and he said to you want the helicopter tour or the experience.  He was a Vietnam pilot and he ran us down a power line screaming banking sideways.   On the way back in he was like you want to **** with those picking people.  He came over the field about 20ft off the ground and blew everyone’s food and blankets across the field.   He was awesome. 

14 minutes ago, Mice! said:

Anyone know how old these Chinooks are? They must do a good job on the maintenance that's for sure, And who makes them? Sure i could google but you get more interesting answers this way.

They are 40 odd years old, but we have bought more over the years and as you say the maintainance crews work hard to keep them in pristine condition.

They are made in America by Boeing and are basically a truck with wings.

The way they were used for Casevac in Helmand Province really lead to new flying techniques and new medical procedures being introduced.

They would regularly fly as complete working airborne operating theatres and were instrumental in a lot of British and Foriegn Servicemen living to return to their homes.

Those new medical procedures have now spread out to help civilian caualties.

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE
Correction.