Tyres

GingerCat

Right I'll cut to the chase, in a few months the weather will turn and I have a particular long commute where 4 seasons can be seen in a few minutes going over the wolds.

I was thinking about an all season tyre mainly due to the mud and rain but a little snow is likely. 

I don't see enough of snow to warrant winter tyres as I'll just stay home if it's that bad. 

My tyres are 225 60 r17 and it's awd. 

Anyone have any experience of all season and any recommendations?

Having moved within Inverness to a house at the top of a steep hill I had a problem when the beast from the east came along!  Ordinary tyres useless so at 1900 only way to get home was to go to Halfords to buy snow socks.  Great grip and up the hill no problem snow or ice.  Bit of a fiddle to get on but way easier then chains, say 60 secs per tyre, only needed front tyres done as front wheel drive.  Missus got all weather tyres on her front set.  Her all weathers worked great in snow and ice, never failed to get up the hill so when my ordinary tyres needed replaced I got A set of all weathers as well.   Got to say great in snow and ice and I think better in wet conditions as well.   Can’t remember what make mine are but only downside I have is they seem more sensitive to white lines as if the line on the road is raised up more.   Recommend all weathers especially in north of Scotland 

Many thanks for the replies. I will have a set by October I think. Don't think chains/socks will do much for me as if it's that bad I'm not going anywhere, more so the slush and wet with mud in the freezing cold months. 

The wolds can be a lot colder and wetter than even a few miles away, which explains a lot, jdog lives up there for example......

On 02/08/2019 at 20:37, ditchman said:

buy a set of snow chains.........you only need 2..........chuck em in a plastic bag in the boot and forget about them.........better than a full set of deep tread tyres and darnsite cheaper as well

Please enlighten me , how do they work in a plastic bag in the boot , is it the extra weight :lol:

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

have you taken your medication this morning ?

Not the answer I was looking for 😋 , As I have just recently joined the Norfolk Mountain And Alpine Rescue Team I will be hopping my fellow members will come and help me out in my hour of need when the weather conditions deteriorate  , gotta go , it's time to take four more of my happy pills .:sick:

6 hours ago, DannyS said:

I had heard good things about the Michelin Latitude Cross tyres, apparently a good All Season tyre thats quite capable off road and still rated C for fuel efficiency. 

Got these all round on my subaru xv in November last year. Better than the yoko geolandars they replaced, almost reminiscent of the old style town and country tyres but with good economy and dry grip into the bargain. Not tested in a severe winter as we didn't get one, but they certainly make me feel more confident.

I've got Goodyear Allweather tyres on a Mini S 4x4 and very pleased with them in the snow and rain. In fact last year when we had a heavy coating of the white stuff I was getting about when a neighbour in a RR Evoque was really struggling. Noticed in really wet weather how the tyres were throwing huge amounts of spray behind - not good for following traffic but suggested excellent rain shedding tread.

12 hours ago, GingerCat said:

Currently it's a coin flip on Nokian weather proof suv or the mitc c.c  

Spare cash will be the deciding factor. 

I was going to go with Nokian, but the reviews I read said the tyres weren't as good since production moved to Russia.

I've been boring myself stupid reading different reviews on winter and all season tyres, finally decided on continental all seasons, there going on this morning, couldn't really pick between a lot of them so just went with the 2018 winner

Edited by Mice!
phone

• 4 weeks later...

I got maxxis ap2 on my Subaru Outback. Fitted last October and I have done about 8k on them. They are ok for normal driving conditions and motorways etc. I made a point of testing them the one day I had snow last winter and I could get up my local hills and stop no problem.

The treads is still ok after summer driving. And seem ok for £95 per tyre on 225/60/17.

Much better than the cheap all season I had on my old Ford Focus I got from Asda tyres.

• 5 weeks later...

I went for falken as210 all season. M&S with the 3pmsf symbol a well. Fitted they were 100 a corner. 

So far they have been excellent in the wet and dry and I go through quite deep puddles at speed  like they aren't there. 

I can't get them for the wife's car due to an odd size so will try the maxxis ap2 when hers are a little thinner. 

Edited by GingerCat

I have Coopers on my Landie and they are first class in all conditions even wet tarmac. Shear ice they are no better than anything without studs and I would say some of those exposed roads on the Wolds could get icy at times.  In a deep snow/packed snow condition then as Ditchie says a set of chains takes some beating but you can't tear *** along with them.