• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Terry2016 said:

Agreed.

mamals covered by the countryside and wildlife act 

Birds by the Gl unless the above and in season

the principle is the same. you do not have to intend to shoot one or the other.

The GLs are written so that you as the user are have to understand them if you are shooting under them

there is nothing to say that when you are out shooting rabbits you cannot also shoot pigeons under the GL. 

Totally agree. Why some seem to want to make things difficult for themselves is beyond me!

Going to have to disagree with the last few posts, I'm afraid. We are being watched - whatever we write here will be read - and the watchers and readers are determined to stop us and have the wherewithal to do so. If we can't or won't comply with the spirit of the law then at the very least they'll make damned sure that we comply with its letter.

I've had my sporting future and it's coming to a close - good luck with yours.

2 hours ago, wymberley said:

Going to have to disagree with the last few posts, I'm afraid. We are being watched - whatever we write here will be read - and the watchers and readers are determined to stop us and have the wherewithal to do so. If we can't or won't comply with the spirit of the law then at the very least they'll make damned sure that we comply with its letter.

I've had my sporting future and it's coming to a close - good luck with yours.

Like you, my sporting future looks ltd. 77yrs in Sept, 2nd hip about to be done. Keep soldiering  on until common sense says stop.

We seem to agree on a number of things. Not least of which is disagreeing with the last few posts. There are statements like "read GL comply, carry on" but no attempt has been made by the authors of such statements to explain how, in their view, having read the GL, that taking a pot shot at a solo bird in the example you quoted (i.e. not decoying over standing crops or stubble) they comply with the conditions of the GL. In particular the condition "when this licence can be used". 

Sadly, it seems to be the case that there are none so blind as those who will not see.

1 hour ago, Terry2016 said:

Its beyond me and its still going.... 

I fear that your biggest mistake could turn out to be your failure - judging  purely from the tone of your posts - to recognise that anyone having a different opinion to your own might just turn out to be justified in doing so. On the other hand, of course, you could well be correct and WJ, et al, are just going to lie down and simply let you get on with it. What future you have is in your hands. I just hope for everyones' sake that you're right.

Yep. . . Samo! . . .! So who is watching us? Why are we blind? Is there folk standing behind every tree with a clipboard copy of GL and a camera waiting to catch us out? NO! Some people in shooting/here talk like they want to undermine us themselves! Strange? If you have doubts don't shoot live quarry! Simple! Seems others just wana argue for sake of it. Why? Have you ever tried to explain the GL and what we have to do to comply with it to any non shooting folk? I have, Including RSPB/Trusts field workers and rural crime officers. Most haven't a clue, indifferent, are totally baffled and amazed we are being challenged. that we have to jump through so many hoops to shoot, even what they recognise and can see at times is a pest species. In fact we are educating them. And we should do! I got nothing to hide! Would happily take/have taken any of them out and show them what we do and the benefit to farming and conservation. Got plenty of evidence i can show em. Been a good year and could of been better but for to many magpies, jackdaws and random twitchers. As i tell others that have noticed it's down to WJ's actions and folk that think they know it all's ignorance.  . . These folk who bring these challenges, WJ, etc, NE, DEFRA  have shown they all know very little about shooting, how pest control is practised, any of our quarry or farming and country practices. . . .Example being. RSPB's own top moorland crime investigation officer Ian Thompson reported just last week that hares were being shot on a moor, filmed and carted off in poly boxes. When this was in fact a target shoot. The hares were metal gongs. The flags were for wind direction and the poly boxes were there gun cases. Wilful ignorance/blindness from one of there top investigators. No retraction! A waste of members money. . . . . I hope anti's do read this! Anything i have ever posted i am happy for any one to read/discuss and i stand by what i do. Are you? I am surprised  that the anti's don't come on here and have a go? Or are they?  . . . . These shouty small number of folk who have wrongly made the countryside, shooting and conservation political think they know best about the countryside and my way of life! Wrong! It's wilful ignorance to achieve there agenda to take down shooting!

As for pigeon flying over a field. Pot shot or flightlining? You  decide!  Comes down to location and confidence in your understanding of GL and your fieldcraft skills. If in doubt don't shoot! Simples!         NB

1 hour ago, wymberley said:

I fear that your biggest mistake could turn out to be your failure - judging  purely from the tone of your posts - to recognise that anyone having a different opinion to your own might just turn out to be justified in doing so. On the other hand, of course, you could well be correct and WJ, et al, are just going to lie down and simply let you get on with it. What future you have is in your hands. I just hope for everyones' sake that you're right.

Wymberly, with all due respect.

You asked a question i was then asked via Bobba, i have explained and given examples. 

The concern you raised is theatrical.  how would it be policed ? you are out rabbit shooting and you shoot a pigeon.. or was you out to shoot pigeons and shot a rabbit ?? only you would know. 

The point is, the GL do  not require you to do anything more than comply with their guidance. 

The situation you created will only create confusion to other members of this forum and is of no help. 

I thought I explained it very clearly.. 

People having different opinions if fine by me... however I give examples and facts around mine. 

The issue with all forms of text is that you cannot tell the exact tone in which it was typed or written.

It was clear that i welcome different view points in my previous post when i said .. i would take the shot .. you would not. 

I feel you may be being over precautious. either way as always 

Best wishes 

Terry 

24 minutes ago, NatureBoy said:

Yep. . . Samo! . . .! So who is watching us? Why are we blind? Is there folk standing behind every tree with a clipboard copy of GL and a camera waiting to catch us out? NO! Some people in shooting/here talk like they want to undermine us themselves! Strange? If you have doubts don't shoot live quarry! Simple! Seems others just wana argue for sake of it. Why? Have you ever tried to explain the GL and what we have to do to comply with it to any non shooting folk? I have, Including RSPB/Trusts field workers and rural crime officers. Most haven't a clue, indifferent, are totally baffled and amazed we are being challenged. that we have to jump through so many hoops to shoot, even what they recognise and can see at times is a pest species. In fact we are educating them. And we should do! I got nothing to hide! Would happily take/have taken any of them out and show them what we do and the benefit to farming and conservation. Got plenty of evidence i can show em. Been a good year and could of been better but for to many magpies, jackdaws and random twitchers. As i tell others that have noticed it's down to WJ's actions and folk that think they know it all's ignorance.  . . These folk who bring these challenges, WJ, etc, NE, DEFRA  have shown they all know very little about shooting, how pest control is practised, any of our quarry or farming and country practices. . . .Example being. RSPB's own top moorland crime investigation officer Ian Thompson reported just last week that hares were being shot on a moor, filmed and carted off in poly boxes. When this was in fact a target shoot. The hares were metal gongs. The flags were for wind direction and the poly boxes were there gun cases. Wilful ignorance/blindness from one of there top investigators. No retraction! A waste of members money. . . . . I hope anti's do read this! Anything i have ever posted i am happy for any one to read/discuss and i stand by what i do. Are you? I am surprised  that the anti's don't come on here and have a go? Or are they?  . . . . These shouty small number of folk who have wrongly made the countryside, shooting and conservation political think they know best about the countryside and my way of life! Wrong! It's wilful ignorance to achieve there agenda to take down shooting!

As for pigeon flying over a field. Pot shot or flightlining? You  decide!  Comes down to location and confidence in your understanding of GL and your fieldcraft skills. If in doubt don't shoot! Simples!         NB

Agreed ..

On 09/08/2020 at 17:26, Terry2016 said:

Wymberly, with all due respect.

You asked a question i was then asked via Bobba, i have explained and given examples. 

The concern you raised is theatrical.  how would it be policed ? you are out rabbit shooting and you shoot a pigeon.. or was you out to shoot pigeons and shot a rabbit ?? only you would know. 

The point is, the GL do  not require you to do anything more than comply with their guidance. 

The situation you created will only create confusion to other members of this forum and is of no help. 

I thought I explained it very clearly.. 

People having different opinions if fine by me... however I give examples and facts around mine. 

The issue with all forms of text is that you cannot tell the exact tone in which it was typed or written.

It was clear that i welcome different view points in my previous post when i said .. i would take the shot .. you would not. 

I feel you may be being over precautious. either way as always 

Best wishes 

Terry 

Agreed ..

Good post.

"and if we do not do it we may be pushed and then where would be ?" Good point.

On 09/08/2020 at 17:04, NatureBoy said:

Totally agree.Good post.

• 3 weeks later...
On 04/08/2019 at 06:29, Rim Fire said:

i am sure that's all he wanted to know not get a slagging off

+1 it’s not 100% clear . Type in google it says no, also no wild bird can be shot on a Sunday but I hear most shooting my neck of the woods on Sunday’s , must have moved scarecrows , bangers and deterrents  etc like stated read go,everything clearly then decide yourself if people won’t help you. 

Edited by Shotguneddy

• 2 weeks later...

This all seems complex if Your out decoying Pigeons Gl 36 and a magpie flies over you will shoot It Gl 34 I was not intending to be out shooting magpies but surely It’s ok .. if I was out shooting rabbits which is crop protection if on farm land then I can still shoot a pigeon fighting over  crop protection no different  to flight lining or roost shooting  if on the other hand said rabbits are on a golf coarse and I don’t have any farm land permission I cannot shoot a pigeon but can still shoot corvids as Gl 34