Lathe

bornfree

Just bought a monarch lathe the plate is missing so not sure of the model it's about an 18" swing X 48" manufactured in 1942 it's running and everything seems to work. Got it for £300 so about scrap money. Haven't got it home yet as it weighs around 3 tons and got to arrange a forklift to get in on my trailer. Anyone know anything about them?

I have a 1960s Denford Viceroy , unfortunately it is plain with no screw cutting. It has proved to me on many occasions that it can ruin perfectly good stock and turn steel into blue swarf just as well as a much more expensive item. Also got a little Hobbymat screw cutting lathe. It's a bit small BUT if I need larger threads then I can borrow a machine for an hour or so. Presently looking for a nice little Mill but the prices are off my pay scale at moment

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've a few lathes but all are small ones, Granville, Myford, Faircut etc, I have the Faircut set up at the moment, It has so much wear that parallel turning would involve adjusting the tailstock acrosswise!! 😞

I really should take the time to set one of the better machines up!!

ULO1zRt.jpg

No1ISsW.jpg

The old Faircut is so old it runs on flat belts!! :D

Anyone know what Hendersons Relish is?, Anyhow, They made this machine here in Sheffield before they went in to selling Relish for your stew!! 😀

XFGBa9s.jpg

A little Wade, The next three are pretty crappy hobby lathes that are a bit dangerous as the it has right hand threads on the lead screw, Cross slide and top slide, In a moment of non thinking you could back the tool off and inadvertantly push it in to the workpiece causing all kinds of problems!! 😨

0haJgOx.jpg

Flexispeed 7, A tiny li'l thing that you can hold in one hand, Probably good for making clock gear shafts!!

zdxPaQ2.jpg

An even smaller 'Super Adept'!!

x6V7ztR.jpg

Modern day Unimat, Extruded ally and not the fine old Cast iron ones!, This can be put together in to different forms to make it a lathe or a mill or a bench drill, I think there's five or six machines it can be made in to!! I've never put it together, Can't be bothered!!

k7qZiRM.jpg

John 🙂

Edited by johnbaz
cuz eye carnt spel innit!

I'd like a lathe for my garage but dont have room now I've got all manner of shelving units. And a work bench with vice and reloading bench that doubles as a another work bench with the bench drill on it. Luckily son in law has two. Ones a big brute of a thing other a Harrison iirc usual workshop size.

• 2 weeks later...