Season targets

Fenland-fowler

My plan this year is training up  my choc lab and working  out which English club to apply for assuming there may be a waiting list.  I’m based in London so I’m thinking of either Kent Wildfowlers or Ely and district , fenland ?

but welcome any advice anyone may offer as at present I have no, no boat snd have only shot on the foreshore over mud/ sand etc.

Sorry should read no dog yet, no boat.

3 hours ago, Charlie Anderson said:

My plan this year is training up  my choc lab and working  out which English club to apply for assuming there may be a waiting list.  I’m based in London so I’m thinking of either Kent Wildfowlers or Ely and district , fenland ?

but welcome any advice anyone may offer as at present I have no, no boat snd have only shot on the foreshore over mud/ sand etc.

Sorry should read no dog yet, no boat.

Fenland wildfowlers' association would gladly welcome you. No dog or boats are necessary, but a dog is a definite advantage.

We have miles of foreshore and several inland washes to enjoy. You can join now for this season if you would like.

Edited by motty

37 minutes ago, Smiler23 said:

It's unreal how easy it is to walk into clubs down south with open arms, yet up here they want blood samples and at least 80% of the club members must know you

Where are you? Certainly our club in North Wales is very un-choosy (if the term exists) after all they have me as a member!

David.

20 hours ago, islandgun said:

Was that Yarmouth 63 ? .. I was thinking more of a stiff Hebridean breeze like this one in Lewis. TBH I will be glad to see the back of the visitors and the midges. I much prefer some nice clouds a good moon and a seat behind my favourite wall by the splashes

mangersta-croft-wigwams.jpg.f068eb4a9cd8bcc6c02d64dbe8395282.jpg

That look like a good blow up your way islandgun 

Yes you are bang on the dot , 62 / 63 winter on the river Yare , me and my mate got laid off from the building firm we had just been employed with due to inclement weather , this was ideal for us as we had four or five weeks of the season left , the whole of the estuary was full of wildfowl because all the Broads and upland rivers were frozen over and the fowl came down to what water was left open , looking back I hate to think what different species of duck we shot as in those far off days the only duck we wouldn't shoot were Shelduck , laws were far and few between then and  with us only turned 15 and hungry to shoot every duck that was in range, this kind of weather was like a wild fowlers dream , now the shooting bodies would never allow shooting fowl in those conditions and quite rightly so , as the birds were virtually starving to death .

If you get the chance , try and buy or borrow a book called Wildfowlers and Poachers by Arthur Patterson , you will not be disappointed , I just caught the tail end of there life style , but I think I would have blended in well having a pint in the Bowling Green pub with the ole fowlers and poachers  if I had been born 30 / 40 years sooner than I was .

1 hour ago, marsh man said:

That look like a good blow up your way islandgun 

Yes you are bang on the dot , 62 / 63 winter on the river Yare , me and my mate got laid off from the building firm we had just been employed with due to inclement weather , this was ideal for us as we had four or five weeks of the season left , the whole of the estuary was full of wildfowl because all the Broads and upland rivers were frozen over and the fowl came down to what water was left open , looking back I hate to think what different species of duck we shot as in those far off days the only duck we wouldn't shoot were Shelduck , laws were far and few between then and  with us only turned 15 and hungry to shoot every duck that was in range, this kind of weather was like a wild fowlers dream , now the shooting bodies would never allow shooting fowl in those conditions and quite rightly so , as the birds were virtually starving to death .

If you get the chance , try and buy or borrow a book called Wildfowlers and Poachers by Arthur Patterson , you will not be disappointed , I just caught the tail end of there life style , but I think I would have blended in well having a pint in the Bowling Green pub with the ole fowlers and poachers  if I had been born 30 / 40 years sooner than I was .

I will certainly look that book out MM  cheers. Have you read "The story of a Norfolk farm "  by Henry Williamson, its about buying a N Norfolk farm for a few quid between the wars. the trials of making the farm pay,  meeting old boys  and ploughing with one of the first grey fergies, all within sound of the N sea and the winter geese. 

note... just bought the Patterson book..:good:

Edited by islandgun