Preventing feral pigeons roosting

My local hockey club has a new Astro turf pitch and they have a problem with feral pigeons roosting on top of the chain link fence surrounding the pitch....and depositing the usual guano on the pitch sides which ain’t the most hygienic or desirable considering the usual friction burns caused to knees and elbows when falling on the surface.

I understand they’ve got the usual fine V spikes on top of the 5m section behind the goals as these have a top support bar but that’s more difficult on the 3m chain link with no top support. 

Someone tried the usual plastic owl but that has no effect......

An air rifle at night would seem to be the obvious answer but one side of the pitch runs alongside a residential home and the angle of the shot would always be upwards so that’s out of the question. 

Any suggestions to deter them gratefully received.......

I'm going up to have a look this afternoon to get a better idea of the problem.

Cheers

fizz

4 minutes ago, daveboy said:

Electrician's tie wraps pointing upwards ?...I've managed to keep the bigger birds off a feeder using them.

I’ve found a slinky type spring as an alternative ......

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gardigo-Anti-Bird-Pigeons-Seagulls-Deterrent/dp/B07D3WF48X

But that would start getting expensive, so I looked for sprung steel coil and I’m thinking it could simply be wired top and bottom of the coils to a straight piece of wire rod and then to the fence to keep it upright...might give this lot a call tomorrow.

https://reddifast.co.uk/

Just popped up the club to get an idea but think it needs to be after dark to get a better idea. Apart from one section, the pellet fall-out area isn’t that bad after all.

cheers

fizz

1 hour ago, daveboy said:

Electrician's tie wraps pointing upwards ?...I've managed to keep the bigger birds off a feeder using them. Photo of them on an aerial.

Bird-Deterrent-Zip-Ties-©.jpg

Great idea and to upgrade just snip a half inch of the end of each one and they become weapons. I have one or two scars from some which hold the foam on my high seat rail so have experience.