Ok to store semi auto with the breech locked open?

captainhastings

Just treat it the same as an o/u and clear it before putting it away (Just like you clear it when putting it in the slip, got it out the slip, before cleaning it, after cleaning it or any other time you handle it) and when you get it out the safe clear it again. 

When its in the safe you won't be able to see it anyway and the first thing you'll do  when you pick it up is clear it. Just like any other gun. Even an airgun. 

It shouldn't knacker the spring to have it locked open but I don't see the point.

1 minute ago, GingerCat said:

Just treat it the same as an o/u and clear it before putting it away (Just like you clear it when putting it in the slip, got it out the slip, before cleaning it, after cleaning it or any other time you handle it) and when you get it out the safe clear it again. 

When its in the safe you won't be able to see it anyway and the first thing you'll do  when you pick it up is clear it. Just like any other gun. Even an airgun. 

It shouldn't knacker the spring to have it locked open but I don't see the point.

This. 

I agree with Figgy on this, having just changed the recoil spring on my 303 Beretta, it was around an inch shorter than the replacement spring. Some people always use snap caps to release the pressure on mainsprings on opening guns, so for the same reason I would suggest closing the breech until the gun's next outing.

11 hours ago, B725 said:

Buy a safety flag and close it, I have one in mine all the time unless using it. 

Buy or make a plastic safety flag and that will give you peace of mind.   I have mine in the rack closed and first thing when lifting it out the slide comes back. The pumpers have the slide back anyway.   The PROVERBIAL does happen to all of us who are not perfect.  I had a 22RF round stay in the chamber once, worked the bolt and it went off, fortunately not hurting anyone.  The flag is a very good way of showing other people the gun is clear.

I simply can’t understand this illogical fear of self loaders some people seem to have, or cultivate. Whether you’re using a flag or not, a basic good handling routine negates any risk whatsoever. I doubt many if any leave their ou’s or sxs’s broken in the safe. 

All it takes is a proper check of the breech with whatever gun you’re using before putting it in the cabinet, and another the second you remove it, and that’s it. Job done. 

It's an object with moving parts and occasionally things go wrong or dont work quite as they should. Point the gun in a safe direction, cycle the bolt, rack the slide, break the breech check it's clear and away you go. Pointing in a safe direction means if its not clear through mechanical failure you make a hole in the carpet, laminate, tiles. Despite what the media would have people believe guns dont kill people especially when they're locked away in the safe...unless it was a big safe and it fell on you.

On 05/08/2019 at 07:51, Scully said:

I simply can’t understand this illogical fear of self loaders some people seem to have, or cultivate. Whether you’re using a flag or not, a basic good handling routine negates any risk whatsoever. I doubt many if any leave their ou’s or sxs’s broken in the safe. 

All it takes is a proper check of the breech with whatever gun you’re using before putting it in the cabinet, and another the second you remove it, and that’s it. Job done. 

This

Seriously, if you do not have safe drills when taking control of any gun, yours or someone else’s, then perhaps you should not have access to them

1 in a safe direction 

2 check breech

3 show clear (to yourself or others)

4 ease springs 

same procedure every time you handle a gun or pass to or from another person. It should be second nature to us all.

On 05/08/2019 at 00:46, Robertt said:

Nobody would put a loaded gun in a cabinet.

So why use a flag ?

Because it shows before even handling the firearm that it is safe, you would then do your usual safety drills. PS lots of people are dead because they assumed they had unloaded their firearms, like you they thought that now one ever mistakenly store a loaded firearm. 

As a protocol at my range, I double checked a 10/22 rim fire last week as the owner was putting it into his gun bag in the gun room, I said to the owner does your rifle not lock the bolt back after the last round, he said his didn't. He was mortified when I got him to rack the bolt and a high velocity round ejected to the floor. This man has been shooting for donkey years, it can happen to any one.. During the war (2nd WW) the yanks had a saying, amongst many others "Accidents are no accident" stay aware folks. Be safe and be seen to be safe.

FB

57 minutes ago, Flyboy1950 said:

As a protocol at my range, I double checked a 10/22 rim fire last week as the owner was putting it into his gun bag in the gun room, I said to the owner does your rifle not lock the bolt back after the last round, he said his didn't. He was mortified when I got him to rack the bolt and a high velocity round ejected to the floor. This man has been shooting for donkey years, it can happen to any one.. During the war (2nd WW) the yanks had a saying, amongst many others "Accidents are no accident" stay aware folks. Be safe and be seen to be safe.

FB

10/22s don't lock the bolt back after the last shot, they just go "click". He must have counted the shots wrong. Assuming it was empty is a schoolboy error. I always rack mine after I've dropped the mag.