Neither Hide Nor Hair

I have two flapper timers which have NVM, are roughly box of matches size and at one end of one face have two small knobs which give adjustable flap duration and also interval duration.

I now need another one - or a bit of kit that will do the same thing - but I can find neither. Could anyone kindly point me in the right direction?

Many thanks

14 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Had this one earmarked - the only one I could find - but was baffled by the advertisement for speed - but so was the guy at UKSW when we spoke. I'm giving my existing kit to the lad but have always "borrowed" one of the two that I have for use with Mother's 'at so need a replacement. Having just ordered one, I'll report on what it actually does/how it performs when I get it.

https://www.ukshootwarehouse.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=81

Well, that was confusing.

This is a timer so we should be looking at duration and not speed as their description would have it. Lack of attention could suggest that it's for a rotary, but perusal of said description reflects that it is not suitable for that use.

The description also tells us that when turned anti-clockwise the unit is in intermittent mode and clockwise is random. I've found the opposite to be the case. Random means random both in terms of duration of flap and the interval between. Intermittent refers only to the interval time; the flap duration remains constant. There is a handy (not mentioned) detent in the middle of the control knob range of movement which appears to be the dividing line between the two functions.

On 04/08/2019 at 18:18, wymberley said:

I have two flapper timers which have NVM, are roughly box of matches size and at one end of one face have two small knobs which give adjustable flap duration and also interval duration.

I now need another one - or a bit of kit that will do the same thing - but I can find neither. Could anyone kindly point me in the right direction?

Many thanks

Sounds just like the one fitted to the ff5. Give nick tate a ring very helpful chap. 

Talk about timing (excuse the pun) and coincidence. I was out yesterday on wheat stubble and had set up my flapper (Flightline one If I recall) with intermittent flaps, when after an hour or so it just packed up. Changed the battery. Nothing. So I wired the flapper direct to the battery and bingo. So I now know that it is the timer that is caput and requires a new one.

The UKSW one that TC put up a link to is perfect for the job, so thank you firstly Wymberley for raising the question and secondly Tightchoke for coming up with the answer. Will be ordering one today.

I can understand Wymberley's initial confusion, as the overall description does mention speed, but when you go to the linked instructions, it then clarifies the exact functions and is clearly only suitable for flappers, not rotaries, so I presume that the speed of flap is that set by the flapper motor.

OB

Edited by Old Boggy

1 hour ago, Old Boggy said:

Talk about timing (excuse the pun) and coincidence. I was out yesterday on wheat stubble and had set up my flapper (Flightline one If I recall) with intermittent flaps, when after an hour or so it just packed up. Changed the battery. Nothing. So I wired the flapper direct to the battery and bingo. So I now know that it is the timer that is caput and requires a new one.

The UKSW one that TC put up a link to is perfect for the job, so thank you firstly Wymberley for raising the question and secondly Tightchoke for coming up with the answer. Will be ordering one today.

I can understand Wymberley's initial confusion, as the overall description does mention speed, but when you go to the linked instructions, it then clarifies the exact functions and is clearly only suitable for flappers, not rotaries, so I presume that the speed of flap is that set by the flapper motor.

OB

Yep, all the timer does is provide power - or not - dependent upon your setting.

Were you out in the sun when the timer packed in. If you haven't already, before buying another just try it again in case it simply over-heated.

On 09/08/2019 at 09:13, wymberley said:

Yep, all the timer does is provide power - or not - dependent upon your setting.

Were you out in the sun when the timer packed in. If you haven't already, before buying another just try it again in case it simply over-heated.

Yes I was out in the sun (well the flapper was) but tried it again once cooled and decided it was the timer, so have now ordered one.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

OB

45 minutes ago, Old Boggy said:

Yes I was out in the sun (well the flapper was) but tried it again once cooled and decided it was the timer, so have now ordered one.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

OB

When you get it, it would be interesting to see what you get for your clockwise/anti-clockwise.

I have now received my timer from UKShootwarehouse. Delivery was within a couple of days but as we've been away, I've just got around to testing it.

Wymberley's finding was spot on, inasmuch that it operates in reverse of the instructions, namely that when turned anti-clockwise, it works in a random mode varying between anything between 2 to 7 seconds ON and 4 to 7 seconds OFF.

Clockwise it works intermittently namely 6 seconds ON and 3 seconds OFF.

The mid position gives 6 seconds ON and 11 seconds OFF.

However, despite the instructions not being quite right, it does give a variety of options as above, which has got to meet most requirements.

OB

Edited by Old Boggy

Yes it definitely seems a good product giving three different timed options, so should suit all eventualities.

I will be trying it out in the next few days as I find a flapper decoys better than a rotary sometimes, particularly on wheat stubble, even with the latter set well upwind of the pattern. The flapper, I’ve found, can be put right in the pattern.

OB