Easing a Yildiz Top Lever

Wingman

Hi All

I bought my son a Yildiz .410 about a year ago for him to use on clays and the odd wander round the permission with me.  The gun was new and is the junior stocked model with ejectors. Unfortunately despite using it fairly frequently its showing no signs of easing up, the top lever is incredibly stiff making it virtually impossible for him to open after firing.  I thought about disabling the ejectors but couldn't find any info on how to do that so my next though was to take to a smith to see if anything can be done.  Wanted to ask if anyone has any advice on what could be done to the gun to make it a bit easier for the lad to use himself can a gunsmith do anything to ease it up?

I suppose the other option is to chop it in for a non-ejector model or something a bit older that has worn it but he likes the gun and shoots it pretty well so that would be my last resort!

Edited by Wingman

It could be a number of issues,

1)Top lever could be catching wood/action top.

2)Insufficent grease in bolt/lug area and top lever/ (put in 50% molydisulphide grease) between moving and bearing surfaces

3)Could be rough bolt /lug surfaces needing polished which will happen over time through wear or can be accelerated by polishing.

Is the lever stiff when the barrels are off the action . If so then it will need to be stripped down examined and eased off where necessary . If it is only stiff when on the action then there are a different set of things to look for . It may just need some polishing of the bites , but it could be that the barrels are hard down on the action and it needs to be freed off or that the forend needs easing  , this is  best done by a gunsmith .

hello, i have the same but in 12 bore and yes the lever is pretty tight and can understand how your son finds this difficult, not long had my Yildiz maybe only shot 250 cartridges but it has started to ease off,  does the action ease off if you take out the springs for ejectors? gunman mine is ok when off the action. i suppose its a matter of a few years using to loosen up, wingman let us know how you sort it ? cheers

Good smear of Moly grease on the bite and in the wedge, also a drop of oil down the top lever and a little more where the wedge slides in and out of the action face may help.

It could be binding a little, making it stiff. Working it back and forth after lubing you should feel it ease if this is the cause. It was on the 28 bore I owned and it freed off fine.

Its unlikely to be the ejectors if it is the lever that is stiff - unless I'm missing something? 

As far as I know - the lever only withdraws the locking bolt, so it could be stiffness in the mechanism such as tightly fitted parts (will improve with use), the locking bolt may be a very tight fit (will also improve with use, or could be eased by a skilled gunsmith) or a stiff lever spring (will need gunsmith attention).  Springs can be 'altered', but as they are tempered and heat treated steel, this is not a job for an amateur.  I think even an experienced gunsmith might not wish to touch an unknown spring as not all spring steels behave easily  under heat treatment, and getting it wrong can loose the springiness, or make it brittle.  From what you say - the spring sound like the main culprit.

3 hours ago, Wingman said:

Its definitely less stiff when operating the lever without the barrels on the gun. I'll probably give it a another couple of months and see if it eases if not a trip to the local smith I think is in order.

Forget about oil and grease . The gun needs a little TLC from a gunsmith . There are numerous reasons why this is happening and you dont say whether it is an O/U or SxS .Best get it sorted ASAP before your lad gets fed up with it and wants to play golf instead .

Looks like Yildiz uses a variation of the "Rizzini" action in which case it has a locking bolt similar to Miroku/Browning. Sticking top lever is typically caused by the bolt binding in the bight and my experience with Miroku particularly is that it doesn't improve with use. At a year or so old this should be a warranty issue but a gunsmith would normally be able to dress the surfaces for a nominal sum.