Weed/Grass killer

steve_b_wales

6 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Glypho ,but it will kill the grass as well.  I believe there are afew alternatives. We used to use Grazon but not sure it is still available with all the EU directives etc etc.  How big an area ?

I want to kill everything, grass, weeds, nettles etc.

4 minutes ago, oowee said:

Roundup will kill everything and weedol if you want to keep the grass but it will need two applications for the tough weeds.

I want to kill everything, grass, weeds, nettles etc.

I've just been reading about a product called Gallup home and garden. £20 for 2 ltrs which has to be diluted at a ratio of 24ml per ltr.

Yep, Glyphosate / Roundup basically the same.  Suggest you shop around and find a commercial supply as the prices charged in Garden Centres is a complete rip off.

May need a couple of chasers on bind weed and japanese knot weed but keep at it and they will die.  I apply it here on bind weed and knotweed which I now do not have, with a soft paint brush which saves spraying stuff you do not wish to kill.  I had a breath of wind blew some sideways this year and killed a seriously strong dahlia no problem so be careful spraying.

24 minutes ago, ditchman said:

someone told me to wee on my tomatoes.........apparently they like it.........

all my plants died overnight......it was as if they had been hit with a limited nuclear strike...

Did you dilute it? As I know you like the odd bottle of wine, it may have had an high alcohol %

Don't believe all the "extra strong" hype, the vast majority of Glyphosate products are 360g/l of active. Basically anything containing glyphosate will do the job, Roundup is just a brand name. There are loads of own brand alternatives,  25l should set you back less than £100, if the public can get hold of it. Spray when weeds are growing well and more isn't better, a light mist on a plant will kill it, they dont need to be dripping with chemical.

Gallup is the rolls Royce of round up.

Barbarian is the same as roundup but about £3 a litre on the farm.

A garden centre available product called SBK will kill tough weeds including brambles but not you grass..

As above spraying the right rate at the right time, after a long dry spell the weeds become woody (hard), so let it rain then spray the next evening,  or in normal conditions spray before predicted rain, it's all to do with the take up of the chemical.

A very simple and cheap alternative is to use water softener salt sold in packs for about £5. Dilute in water to its saturation point and water/spray on. It will kill everything and prevent anything growing for the next year or so unless it is diluted with very heavy rainfall. I do this once a year on my drive and patio (block paving and paviors) and it keeps both completely weed free. Have to be careful of run off onto any plants etc. One pack goes a long way and covers large areas.

I first discovered the effects of salt when speaking to the head gardener of the Salutation garden in Sandwich, Kent, who lost all the plants and had to replace all the garden topsoil (about four acres) down to two feet in depth after it was flooded from the salt laden River Stour having burst it's banks a few years ago.

It gave me the idea of trying salt and have used it ever since. Had previously tried all types of glyphosate but found that after a while the weeds return as it does not remain toxic in the soil. 

However, it is only OK if you don't propose to grow anything else in the soil for sometime.

OB