Barbour

BaconBoy

They were OK years ago, genuine thornproofs, brilliant for beating in. but i ended up buying £10 coats from the markets, they would last a season then bin them. 

I was just saying to the Mrs i bought a Ferndale years ago for special occasions, wore it to work one day on a rainy day in the summer. Took some tail end of fillet steak home from work, left it in the coat pocket in the boot of my car for most of the summer. 

Ended up binning the coat it was humming/ 

13 hours ago, Scully said:

I have six Barbour waxed jackets. I love ‘em! 🙂

Will have to watch it on iplayer when OH isn’t in, she can’t stand Greg Wallace. 😀

hello, me to scully, wish i still had my solway zipper but do have the border jacket, oh i know what you mean on Greg Wally !!!!!!! 

They were good when there was nowt better,used to go for a week at a time to Solway,after second day it was like putting a hardboard coat on, I had an old Longshoreman, with big buttons instead of a zip & a Solway zipper,even alternating them I still felt like tinman

2 hours ago, guzzicat said:

They were good when there was nowt better,used to go for a week at a time to Solway,after second day it was like putting a hardboard coat on, I had an old Longshoreman, with big buttons instead of a zip & a Solway zipper,even alternating them I still felt like tinman

Yep. There have been times they will stand unassisted! 😀

Barbour - the worst coats I have ever had!

I had 2 of the old waxed cotton ones - the heavy one was unusable in cold weather as it became about as stiff as a suit of armour.  The light one was nicer to wear - but wore through at the folds (especially elbows) quickly - and again after (Barbours very good) repair.

I moved to an early Musto - which has been superb and has done maybe 25 - 30 seasons now (albeit now looking scruffy but it is still nearly 100% watertight).  I did add a Barbour (I think called silkoil?) lightweight that after a couple of years went rotten and 'slimy'.

I now have a Schoeffel (for best) which feels a bit 'flimsy', but holds up OK so far, and the old Musto still (for rough).

Just now, Scully said:

All but two bought off here and at great discount. 🙂👍

When I was back the year before last I  also almost bought one from here before I came. From Fred somebody? But realistically I really don't have a use for a waxed jacket now. And that's a pity. Living perpetually in warm climates limits what you can justifiably keep in your wardrobe. So boots and jackets  -the really interesting stuff  -are basically out of reach. That said,  the other day we were contemplating/examining the viability of moving wholesale and opening a Thai restaurant in Thurso or Wick! And  if that ever came to pass then we'd doubtless  be on these boards hoovering up protective weather gear like it was going out of fashion. ....

I went to the northern game fair last year and there was a stand selling nothing but used Barbours...but he didn't seem to be shifting many.

i have an old one from my late Father in Law, acquired before I started shooting . Never actually worn it when shooting!...but I have re-waxed it 3 times and never got wet in it. Not worn it for years ( this thread reminded me that I actually had it!) most likely that it will not fit any more since I developed a massively powerful lower chest 

15 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

When I was back the year before last I  also almost bought one from here before I came. From Fred somebody? But realistically I really don't have a use for a waxed jacket now. And that's a pity. Living perpetually in warm climates limits what you can justifiably keep in your wardrobe. So boots and jackets  -the really interesting stuff  -are basically out of reach. That said,  the other day we were contemplating/examining the viability of moving wholesale and opening a Thai restaurant in Thurso or Wick! And  if that ever came to pass then we'd doubtless  be on these boards hoovering up protective weather gear like it was going out of fashion. ....

Scorchyboy. 👍

8 hours ago, guzzicat said:

Penelope from here put me onto an old Longshoreman.think i paid about £100 a few years ago, I sold it on ebay for over £300. it was an expensive coat to have just one use. bought a Fjallraven. same principle but a bit more user friendly. have a Dunmoor fleece. very warm long and comfortable

6 minutes ago, Diver One said:

I went to the northern game fair last year and there was a stand selling nothing but used Barbours...but he didn't seem to be shifting many.

i have an old one from my late Father in Law, acquired before I started shooting . Never actually worn it when shooting!...but I have re-waxed it 3 times and never got wet in it. Not worn it for years ( this thread reminded me that I actually had it!) most likely that it will not fit any more since I developed a massively powerful lower chest 

love it..😁

13 hours ago, islandgun said:

Penelope from here put me onto an old Longshoreman.think i paid about £100 a few years ago, I sold it on ebay for over £300. it was an expensive coat to have just one use. bought a Fjallraven. same principle but a bit more user friendly. have a Dunmoor fleece. very warm long and comfortable

love it..😁

Those Longshoremans are still fetching money.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=Barbour+Longshoreman&_sacat=0

I still have mine, must be nearly 30 years old. I also have a Northumbria that is older and my Grandfather's Solway Zipper that's probably older than me.

1 hour ago, Penelope said:

Those Longshoremans are still fetching money.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=Barbour+Longshoreman&_sacat=0

I still have mine, must be nearly 30 years old. I also have a Northumbria that is older and my Grandfather's Solway Zipper that's probably older than me.

Hi Penelope... Im still hoping to buy you a pint or 5 at the chequers Goldhanger one of these days