Barbour

BaconBoy

12 hours ago, Penelope said:

Those Longshoremans are still fetching money.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=Barbour+Longshoreman&_sacat=0

I still have mine, must be nearly 30 years old. I also have a Northumbria that is older and my Grandfather's Solway Zipper that's probably older than me.

I have got two Barbours hanging up in the wardrobe , one is the heavy duty Northumbria and the other one is a Barbour Beaufort , when I say hanging up in the wardrobe that is where they mainly stay , my two main shooting coats are Musto , one fairly light for the warmer months and the other one is a bit heavier and mainly used when the weather turn a bit rough , can't fault either of them , bought from the game fair at half price and for the amount of times I have them they don't owe me a penny .

12 hours ago, marsh man said:

I have got two Barbours standing up in the wardrobe , one is the heavy duty Northumbria and the other one is a Barbour Beaufort , when I say standing up in the wardrobe that is where they mainly stay , my two main shooting coats are Musto , one fairly light for the warmer months and the other one is a bit heavier and mainly used when the weather turn a bit rough , can't fault either of them , bought from the game fair at half price and for the amount of times I have them they don't owe me a penny .

There MM I've amended it for you! 🙄 👍

57 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

There MM I've amended it for you! 🙄 👍

In the really cold weather your amendment would have been very appropriate , it wouldn't had been the first time after been out in what is termed as Black ice , where the drizzle and light rain freeze on everything it touches that I have stood a wax coat up to thaw out :lol: 

Just now, marsh man said:

In the really cold weather your amendment would have been very appropriate , it wouldn't had been the first time after been out in what is termed as Black ice , where the drizzle and light rain freeze on everything it touches that I have stood a wax coat up to thaw out :lol: 

Lol! I have one in my garage now...... mid summer.........that will stand up on its own! 😏

2 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

Lol! I have one in my garage now...... mid summer.........that will stand up on its own! 😏

Your ones have most probably seen more full moons than mine , mine are not bad to tell yer the truth ( I have got to say that in case I put them in the other sales section 😊 ) , in the very early days Barbour was the number one on the must have list , for a while they were beyond our reach as far as buying one and then when we did buy one we wondered what all the fuss was about as they were cold and very rigged when the cold got into them , my brother had a Belstaff which was o k at the time and I had a 3/4 length wax coat that Eastern Electricity provided to there outdoor workers , although I didn't work for them, it was a case of who you know and not what you know , these had a Red tarten lining and were made strangely enough by Johnsons in Great Yarmouth .

This coat I wore a lot and I can honestly say it kept 99.9 of the wet weather out .

In the 70’s Barbours were the in thing. Sloane Ranger girls were rarely seen without one, even over evening dresses and even in bed I seem to remember.

I had my fair share too, even though they were not warm jackets to wear, nor were they waterproof. Standing in a line of guns on a cold winter’s morning I had to exercise vigorously to keep myself warm and loosen the stiffness of the jacket many times.

Thank goodness for Gortex. That’s Gortex not Durex.

On 8 August 2019 at 08:34, Diver One said:

I added the furry fleece liner to mind....it made a hell of a difference.

this has spurred me on to dig it out and see if it has " shrunk through being in storage/the dark/the cupboard/washed/unworn/green" etc

I fear the worst

That made I twitch, had to check the Border. All's well. An older version of the Percussion did suffer this fate which was annoying as it had hardly been worn and was still in really good nick. Replaced it. Big mistake. I think the company may well have changed hands and what I got was simply rubbish so it went straight back. - when you take the jacket out of the bag, I was under the impression that the fastening studs were supposed to be attached to the coat and not in kit form loose in the bag - and no, they were not spares.

1 hour ago, marsh man said:

In the really cold weather your amendment would have been very appropriate , it wouldn't had been the first time after been out in what is termed as Black ice , where the drizzle and light rain freeze on everything it touches that I have stood a wax coat up to thaw out  

That was when I loved my old Longshoreman, no zips to fumble with when wearing my "MILLARMITS" there is another blast from the past, freezing finger ends & the string on the palms caked with Solway mud.I gave my longshoreman away in the Nith hotel Glencaple on the last night of one season in the seventies! Alchohol fuelled generosity again.

5 hours ago, guzzicat said:

That was when I loved my old Longshoreman, no zips to fumble with when wearing my "MILLARMITS" there is another blast from the past, freezing finger ends & the string on the palms caked with Solway mud.I gave my longshoreman away in the Nith hotel Glencaple on the last night of one season in the seventies! Alchohol fuelled generosity again.

I have seen a Long shore man , or something very similar , the ole boy who had a boat shed next to our one used to have a smock affair like the above when he was punt gunning so nothing got in the way when he pulled the lanyard .

Millamits as you called them are certainly out of the history books , we didn't bother much with mittens ( couldn't afford them is more likely ) , we had one of those lighters that kept your hands warm , then they brought out a bit of char cole or something similar that you lit and put it a little silver container , you could also use it to light your fags up , happy days. 

5 minutes ago, marsh man said:

we had one of those lighters that kept your hands warm ,

I remember those. A silver canister sort of thing filled with cotton wool that you soaked with lighter fluid, and then a little wick that you lit and it came in a bag with a draw string. And from the first time you tried it, ever after your pockets and anything you put in them smelled permanently of naphtha. 

Used to wear wax jackets decades ago. You sweated like you were wearing a bin bag. Then got cold when you stood still. Any wear and after a hour in heavy rain it leaked. Awful coats that made too much noise when very cold for creeping up on qaurry.  Only thing was good for was when new crawling on your elbows and shooting prone in the wet grass.

Sadly now just a fashion brand, not seen any decent outdoor wear from them for years.

Edited by figgy

Had 3 different Barbours from new and always happy, except for the price.

7 years back I bought a waxed, similar to Barbour jacket off the web, it cost me under £40 inc. delivery, and is still going strong, despite some serious beating duties over the years!

Does for me and that means another sale lost for Barbour.

Program was worth a watch just the same! :good:

1 hour ago, figgy said:

Used to wear wax jackets decades ago. You sweated like you were wearing a bin bag. Then got cold when you stood still. Any wear and after a hour in heavy rain it leaked. Awful coats that made too much noise when very cold for creeping up on qaurry.  Only thing was good for was when new crawling on your elbows and shooting prone in the wet grass.

Sadly now just a fashion brand, not seen any decent outdoor wear from them for years.

I do tend to agree figgy , my heavier Musto jacket is far better than any wax coat I have had , do not sweat , fairly warm , hand warming pockets and a stud on hood , had it now for four or five years and it cost just under £100 from one of the game fairs , well worth the money .

1 hour ago, figgy said:

I have in my wardrobe, a near new Barbour "Trapper" jacket from Barbour's "breathables" range, in duracotton....it looks like a wax jacket, it also has a detachable Barbour polar fleece liner/gilet......I think this was the way they tried to upgrade and modernise their Wax jackets in order to stay at the coal face of shooting clothing manufacture?....I don't wear it as I have for some years used a laminated "goretex" Barbour jacket, I chose and they supplied, as a replacement for one of their droplined goretex jackets I returned, because it leaked like the proverbial sieve on an 'inclement' walked up Grouse day in the Scottish highlands! Lol!

I once took a jacket to a dealer at a Barbour stand at a game fair and asked ‘how bad does it have to be before you can’t repair it?’ 

He told me that as long as I had all the bits they would have a go. 🙂

I have a pair of Barbour waxed over trousers that are ripped around the gusset area! I’ll be getting them repaired sometime. 👍

Back in the seventies a friend of mine bought a Solway Zipper at the game fair in July and after the ‘fowling season ended in February he sent it to Barbour for reproofing and repair. Barbour returned it (refurbished) with the comment that they could have made a better job if he had returned it twenty years earlier!