Anyone from Herefordshire?

Welderup

Hi all,

im from hereford and I’m new to clays but really want to get into it! I’ve been rough shooting and on a few fox drives and had my shotguns for a while but not Been out to any clay grounds, 

Mainly because most of my friends have no interest in shooting sadly so looking to find some either in the same postition or just some others to meet and learn how things work (the clay ground side of things)  

I’m happy to travel as I’m aware there aren’t many places that close to hereford.

On ‎06‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 20:45, Welderup said:

Hi all,

im from hereford and I’m new to clays but really want to get into it! I’ve been rough shooting and on a few fox drives and had my shotguns for a while but not Been out to any clay grounds, 

Mainly because most of my friends have no interest in shooting sadly so looking to find some either in the same postition or just some others to meet and learn how things work (the clay ground side of things)  

I’m happy to travel as I’m aware there aren’t many places that close to hereford.

Give Griffin Lloyds a go for sure it is about 40 mins from Hereford. Its where I started out, they are open 7 days a week, their sporting clays are excellent and if you go on  week day its quiet enough, you can go round and avoid being bunched up and people looking over your shoulder. Park farm near Ombersley is also very good but due to the limited opening times tends to be busy. There are also some clay shooting clubs around Hereford that shoot on a Sunday morning, Fir Tree, Aconbury, Garway and the Tram clay club at Eardisley I shot with them last year a few times and really enjoyed it really nice bunch of guys and easy going 50 bird shoot against either of the above after membership fees £10 a go.

PM me if your going up to Griffin and I will see if I can make it. I cant offer much advise how to shoot but its always nice to have a walk about up there.  

Thanks all for the replies, I like the sound of Griffin Lloyd’s but after just checking there website it says they are closed Monday-Friday and only open on weekends?

Would be keen to go up there still, seems like a large variety of traps/layouts and just might have to deal with other groups of people watching on.

I did initially contact south Worcester with the view of an hours tuition to get an idea of the place but they were so busy the only dates they could offer I couldn’t do sadly.

Went up to a place in tintern today with a group a friends as part of a stag do and managed 18 out of 24 with a supplied gun, small numbers compared to most I know but it’s a start!  

Coleys at Cheltenham is ok on your own as they have Claymate system  (similar to Griffin Lloyd) so you can button yourself. Only difference is clay price 40p (Coleys)  compared to 30p (GL) per clay.

Also check out Hailes Fruit Farm clay shoot and a monthly clay shoot at Childwickham nr. Broadway. Both on Saturday mornings.

Rich