What to do if stopped by the police?

Squished

I had just finished cleaning my rabbits and was walking back to my car, shotgun slung over one shoulder, bunnies over the other as I approached my car when a police car stopped next to me.

The officer rolled down his window and greeted me and explained that he had stopped as he saw a car (mine) stopped in the entrance to a field and wanted to make sure everything was ok, but could see that all was well now. He asked how many I'd taken today, wished me a good evening and drove off. All very polite and cheerful from both sides. 10/10 encounter.

But this has me wondering now, theoretically, what if he had asked me to surrender my firearm temporarily? Or had I been stopped on my way to/from my permissions and after informing an officer I have firearms in the car, they request to check them? Surely a non-firearm trained officer cannot be allowed to take control of a firearm? Handing firearms to people without a licence is surely illegal right?

I have no objection to cooperating with police in their lawful investigations, after all I'm not doing anything wrong, but what should you do when stopped by police in such situations where these requests are made?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You will find an officer in the course of duty will have exemption from the firearms act. 

Rurally a lot of officers will have basic firearms safety awareness and in all honesty most shotgun and rifles work on the same action. 

Anything special will be attended to by a trained firearms officer

the usual protocol adopted by most would be to leave it if it’s sleeved or obviously safe or just ask you to put it down 

Any checking of numbers will probably involve you presenting the relevant location of the number as it’s been established that there is no threat or wrongdoing - along the same lines as having a check at home

on a side note how how many people are ‘properly trained’ on a shotgun prior to purchase 

Edited by ph5172

I was pulled for speeding. He asked me why my eyes were so big and if I’d taken drugs. I told him I’d been lamping and explained I was on my way home. He pnc checked me and told me to slow down . All was good even if he did pull me in the most stupid place ever. 

Ill add he assumed i was speeding as he was going the opposite way. 

3 hours ago, Squished said:

I had just finished cleaning my rabbits and was walking back to my car, shotgun slung over one shoulder, bunnies over the other as I approached my car when a police car stopped next to me.

The officer rolled down his window and greeted me and explained that he had stopped as he saw a car (mine) stopped in the entrance to a field and wanted to make sure everything was ok, but could see that all was well now. He asked how many I'd taken today, wished me a good evening and drove off. All very polite and cheerful from both sides. 10/10 encounter.

But this has me wondering now, theoretically, what if he had asked me to surrender my firearm temporarily? Or had I been stopped on my way to/from my permissions and after informing an officer I have firearms in the car, they request to check them? Surely a non-firearm trained officer cannot be allowed to take control of a firearm? Handing firearms to people without a licence is surely illegal right?

I have no objection to cooperating with police in their lawful investigations, after all I'm not doing anything wrong, but what should you do when stopped by police in such situations where these requests are made?

Theoretically id have told him to go forth and multiply. Unless you are causing folk alarm or distress theres no reason to surrender (assuming you have your paperwork). Chill out and enjoy your sport (Whilst you can😕)

If I've read your details correctly ack-ack it says that you were born in 2007.

That makes you almost 12 years old :hmm:

I'm sure that a police officer would take most kindly to being told to 'go forth and multiply' from a 12 year old. A mistake surely :whistling:

The only time I've been faced with police whilst I was carrying a gun I happened to be shooting with my solicitor friend who has 20+ years of criminal defence experience :D

Fortunately, he didn't need to intervene as everything was polite and above board, just some woman complaining about the noise because her dog didn't like it (a woman who lives at least 400 yards away, across 2 fields and a woodland)

I've bumped into the police once or twice over the years whilst out shooting , it's never taken more than common sense and good manners to get things sorted. On one occasion, a newish police officer ( straight out of the army), spent half an hour playing with my shotgun and rimfire. 

I don't think you are even obliged to talk to them, is that right? They have no reason to suspect you have done anything so you could just ignore them. 

I would of course just have a normal conversation with them but I would want some proper explanation as to why before I would hand over a firearm. 

3 hours ago, oowee said:

I don't think you are even obliged to talk to them, is that right? They have no reason to suspect you have done anything so you could just ignore them. 

I would of course just have a normal conversation with them but I would want some proper explanation as to why before I would hand over a firearm. 

Depends on what way you want to situation to go. 

I'd suggest being polite and reasonable. Good qualities for any person to have. They have a power to inspect the gun so you have no choice in handing it over. 

5 hours ago, oowee said:

Under the Firearms Order they have the power to stop and search you and your vehicle for firearms or ammunition, legally held or not. 

Refusing to speak would just add suspicion that something wasn’t right and prolong the encounter.

Firearms Order also gives the Constable the power to demand the firearms certificate of any person with a firearm, and allows for the seizure of firearms until the certificate is produced.

I have always found things are easily dealt with by a conversation. 

This in N. Ireland I may add so might be different on the mainland

I was advised by my FEO that should any gun of mine be surrendered to police for any reason to take photos before handing it over. Nice shotgun chucked in the back of a van... It apparently happens. 

Edited by Mr.C
Sausage fingers

5 minutes ago, Mr.C said:

I was advised by my FEO that should any gun of mine be surrendered to police for any reason to take photos before handing it over. Nice shotgun chucked in the back of a van... It apparently happens. 

It certainly does happen, taking a shot or two is a good idea!:good:

10 hours ago, Rossco89 said:

Under the Firearms Order they have the power to stop and search you and your vehicle for firearms or ammunition, legally held or not. 

Refusing to speak would just add suspicion that something wasn’t right and prolong the encounter.

Firearms Order also gives the Constable the power to demand the firearms certificate of any person with a firearm, and allows for the seizure of firearms until the certificate is produced.

I have always found things are easily dealt with by a conversation. 

This in N. Ireland I may add so might be different on the mainland

I believe the gun laws in NI are different to those in the rest of the uk?

56 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

I believe the gun laws in NI are different to those in the rest of the uk?

I am sure they are. We do not need to carry certificates. I don't think they have the power to inspect guns without some reason? i may well be wrong do we have any one with insider knowledge 🙂 ?