New to kayak fishing. A day out in Donegal

Big Al

This is my first year kayak fishing- have had reasonable success with pollock. Really enjoying getting off the shore a bit but I'm still learning a lot about where to fish. Donegal is a couple of hours from me, but it's on the Atlantic and my mate has had pollock to 12 pounds.

We saw a Minke whale two trips ago. It surfaced and took a breath about 100 yards from us. It's not all about the fishing!

This is our trip from the weekend.

Try paddling about using the ff to pick up structure on the sea bed, fish tend to congregate on them. I've just started using a water wolf underwater camera and it is helpful in showing what is down there and how they react to objects in their habitat. I have posted a shortened clip on YouTube under the title of North sea cod attack.

If you intend to do a lot of kayak fishing throughout the year and further out to sea I would recommend you get a longer kayak and a dry suit.

This is not intended as a granny sucks eggs comment but the only comment I have is based on 20 yrs of owning a dive RIB and diving.

If you haven't got one already then a tidal stream atlas combined with tide times for Donegal is very helpful. It will help you avoid being in the wrong place at the wrong time, paddling like hell but going backwards!

Good fishing.

• 1 month later...
On 10/08/2019 at 08:05, henry d said:

Try paddling about using the ff to pick up structure on the sea bed, fish tend to congregate on them. I've just started using a water wolf underwater camera and it is helpful in showing what is down there and how they react to objects in their habitat. I have posted a shortened clip on YouTube under the title of North sea cod attack.

If you intend to do a lot of kayak fishing throughout the year and further out to sea I would recommend you get a longer kayak and a dry suit.

Top tips. Many thanks henry. 

I've just upgraded to a 13 foot kayak. 

On 13/08/2019 at 08:35, Bobba said:

This is not intended as a granny sucks eggs comment but the only comment I have is based on 20 yrs of owning a dive RIB and diving.

If you haven't got one already then a tidal stream atlas combined with tide times for Donegal is very helpful. It will help you avoid being in the wrong place at the wrong time, paddling like hell but going backwards!

Good fishing.

Safety first - cheers. 

26 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

What yak have you got? I've just changed mine, so the fun and games of fitting her out have begun in earnest in the last few days!

The one in the video is a Galaxy Cruz- too small for my weight. I've just bought another "budget" 13 foot Bluefin Kingfisher.