New defender anyone??

team tractor

24 minutes ago, dodeer said:

G Wagon or if that had sense Landcruiser pick 4.2

i think the govt should commision some sort of 4wd drive....with drive rods and U/J's with a simple diff lock transmission....RSJ chassis....good solid simple enjine and something that is at least bullet proof......

during the 2nd world war the Jeep proved its purpose...and we should take a step back to that utilitarian style/age.........

51 minutes ago, ditchman said:

i think the govt should commision some sort of 4wd drive....with drive rods and U/J's with a simple diff lock transmission....RSJ chassis....good solid simple enjine and something that is at least bullet proof......

during the 2nd world war the Jeep proved its purpose...and we should take a step back to that utilitarian style/age.........

Go on, get building one. I am sure the MoD would look favourably on a Narfalk runabout!

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

I agree, think most of the so called 4x4 SUV being produced today are nothing more than lifted saloons.

Land Rover Developement used to have dedicated drivers to take these new models out on preset routes sometimes towing trailers with a load on and I would assume they still do.

The farming and forestry industries still need a strong easily serviced and maintained truck preferably like the original Series one where you can put the power washer inside and clean it out.

The big big problem is construction and use laws, with the requirement for air bags etc etc.

On 09/08/2019 at 10:08, ditchman said:

i think the govt should commision some sort of 4wd drive...

They did years ago - The Champ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austin_Champ - and it was soon found that the series 1 LandRover was a far better vehicle and masses cheaper (the Champ even had 5 reverse gears!).  They also tried the Champ engine (a 2.8 litre 4 cylinder made by Rolls-Royce which shared spares with other engines in the military fleet (B40, B60, B80 series)) in the series 1, but it was too bulky and heavy.

I personally think the new defender will replace the Discovery 4. The Discovery 5 has become more akin to the Range Rover models. 

The Discovery 4 I think, managed to combine the rugged/working vehicle/off roader a Land Rover should be with the everyday drivability and luxury Land Rover as a company, wants to be..

A Discovery 4 could happily carry 7 adults in comfort and eat up the motorway miles without feeling out of place in anyway off the beaten track, with ample cargo/loading room.

Personally, I think the D4 was the best vehicle Land Rover have made because of its ability to combine so many qualities into one vehicle - I think the new defender will also combine all the same qualities... 

We will see very shortly I believe. 

• 2 weeks later...

Coming back to Bristol from Bettws Hall a few weeks back the thing flew past me and a mate, and I mean l flew, we had the windows up and aircon on and could hear its turbo whine... Not surprising when it's got an 8 sped auto boxed turbo lump... I think like has been said, it's the disco 6 and will have the range rover price tag, won't be any where near as vsrsitile as it needs to be