So it looks like I might be buying a farm. This has been a exciting day.

So the farmer that does a really good dove shoot jacked his price up because the liberals over here are on the huge farm to table/ harvesting meat rather the slaughtering it kick.  So I refuse to pay more then $20 for a shooting pass for opening weekend.  So I was telling the wife he wants $75 for opening day and I wasn’t hunting opening day as we have plenty of free fields on public land.  But they are crowded opening day.  About that time we see a sign that said farm for sale so I said I’m buying that.  She said ok.  So we turned around and pulled in.  On the way back to town and pulled into the bank and moved some money around.  6 hours later we have a offer in.  It’s a good offer that they will except.  So yea,  we just impulse bought a farm today.  Two nice fields one about 14 acres,  the other about 4 and a **** ton of timber around it.  Two spring heads one feeding a small pond.  The house is collapsing, and the fields are overgrown.  I’m opening I can bulldoze the small trees in the field without grinding stumps.  It’s not 2 far form my house so I can take care of it. Plans are a few deer stands, at least plant the 14 acre field with sunflower and corn for deer turkey and dove.  Plus a clay thrower and and about a 500 yard rifle range.  Who ever farmed it in the past had a thing for rock walls because they are everywhere on the land.  

Wish me luck that they except my offer. 

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, strimmer_13 said:

Love the way you've planned the purchase for the purpose of shooting 😅 

Ive always said if I win the lottery I'm buying a valley in mid Wales to do the same 👍

That’s literally 99 percent of it.  The thought of shooting 500 yards without going to a public range makes me giggle.  Plus haveing my own bird field to myself will be awesome.  I will be putting my up a barn to store my 4 wheeler, and tractor.   The wife wants a off grid cabin.  

I saw a bunch of deer tracks and turkey feathers so the wild life is there.  

What would be the average price per acre for farm land like yours? In February 2019 Farmers Weekly (A newspaper) reported that bare agricultural land fell to a low to just below £7,000 acre. Possibly about $8,500 at current low exchange rate. I appreciate matters are not directly comparable but just interested.

20 minutes ago, Bobba said:

What would be the average price per acre for farm land like yours? In February 2019 Farmers Weekly (A newspaper) reported that bare agricultural land fell to a low to just below £7,000 acre. Possibly about $8,500 at current low exchange rate. I appreciate matters are not directly comparable but just interested.

Location location location!     Example:  a bare 3/4 acre lot in my neighborhood just outside of Charlotte,  (the banking center of the south) sells for about 25-$40,000 usd.   In the West Texas it can be had for $500.  The land I bid on he is asking 5,000 an acre as it’s just outside of what a Charlotte commuter would do.  I bid a little less as I am buying the whole 30.  He my reject the offer but if he does he will have to subdivide it into small parcels.  Banks don’t like loaning money on vacant land so it is hard to sell large tracks as they are usually cash purchase.  

28 minutes ago, figgy said:

Hope you don't get many poachers with not living on the land.

That’s not a thing around here.  Up north it is.  We are a castle doctrine, stand your ground state.  We can use up to deadly force to protect our property.  The courts have ruled that wildlife on our land is property.  

CF37F13E-D733-4D59-BFA9-600B83B78F0C.jpeg

3 minutes ago, SpringDon said:

Good luck and I hope it works out for you. (Will we be able to get a discount for using the range?)

Sure.  I’d be happy if you paid anything.  People have been use the 100 yard range I built behind the house for years and they don’t pay nothing.  

32 minutes ago, Benthejockey said:

I keep telling mrs BTJ when the step daughter moves out to university in a few years we should buy a ranch somewhere abroad. Even with the rubbish exchange rates it looks like you can get a decent plot for your money.

NC is more expensive then most states.  You can get 100 acre plots in TEnnesee for the same price but they are 3 hours away vs 45 mins.  And in Utah you can get 400 acre plots.  

29 minutes ago, rimfire4969 said:

Fantastic, i am really pleased for you. As i'm sure you know when you have land there is always something to do.

I’m trying not to get to excited until they except an under contract but I spent most of last night looking at used tractors.  

21 minutes ago, NoBodyImportant said:

NC is more expensive then most states.  You can get 100 acre plots in TEnnesee for the same price but they are 3 hours away vs 45 mins.  And in Utah you can get 400 acre plots.  

I’m trying not to get to excited until they except an under contract but I spent most of last night looking at used tractors.  

I love aq tractor but the best bit of kit I have ever bought to use around my place is a John Deere Gator 855XD

Congratulations 🍺

I have been dropping hints to Mrs Houseplant about acquiring a small piece of land. For us, it would be realistic to own somewhere with a duck pond, rabbit shooting, rimfire range, and if we were very lucky, a spot where deer/pigs/goats might pass through. So far, hints haven't worked. Must try harder!

Well,  after a few back and forths we have a verbal contract.  Off to town in the morning to have the lawyer write it down!  

9 hours ago, Houseplant said:

Congratulations 🍺

I have been dropping hints to Mrs Houseplant about acquiring a small piece of land. For us, it would be realistic to own somewhere with a duck pond, rabbit shooting, rimfire range, and if we were very lucky, a spot where deer/pigs/goats might pass through. So far, hints haven't worked. Must try harder!

I honestly have zero interest in farming outside of a dove field and plot of corn for deer.  But it’s basically a place to crash my LandRover and shoot my guns.